A bit of an Issue.... (AVG virus software thinks the game is a Trojan)

edited March 2009 in Game Support
I was doing a passive virus scan on my machine today and it came up with this :

Trojan Horse Downloader.Zlob.UAQ in file C:\Program Files\Telltale Games\Sam and Max-Season Two\Uninstall Episode 202-Moai Better Blues.exe

Just thought you guys might want to know as the only way to get rid of it is to delete the file.

Comments

• edited February 2008
    Assuming you downloaded the game from us, it looks like you hit a false positive. That file is, as the name implies, the uninstaller half of the installer package we use, which is pretty standard.

What scanner do you use?
  • edited February 2008
    I got the same thing (although I wasn't running a scan, it just popped up as if I had run the uninstaller).

This is from AVG, probably a false positive as it happened to me before (Bioshock), but I'm running symantec's online security check just to be on the safe side
  • edited February 2008
    Yep, it's a false positive from AVG
  • edited February 2008
    Curious... I have AVG, scan nightly, and this hasn't been picked up from my 202 install...
  • edited February 2008
    I just got it to, Looks like an updater with the last week is now giving False positive but mine was to: SamAndMax202_MoaiBetterBlues_Setup_1.0.0.7.exe
  • edited February 2008
    Yeah it's AVG I guess yesterday's update got me. I didn't remove the file because I wanted you guys to know about it. Might want to let the guys at Grisoft know that.
  • edited February 2008
    I also have noticed the issue also, but unfortunately it's a little worse for me. I just purchased season one and season two and when I attempt to download any episode, AVG locks it up. I've been attempting to download for a few hours with no luck and have used several different browsers. Here is a related pic:

22j6dy.jpg
  • edited February 2008
    Best solution I finally found was to disable the Resident Shield of AVG. Scary thought.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    I've asked a few people to take a look, but it may be an AVG update making it suddenly become over-aggressive and registering a false-positive.
  • SegSeg
    edited February 2008
    Quickly chiming in here. What happened is that AGV is reporting false-positives for all installer and uninstaller programs that use NSIS, which includes our entire catalog and every single pice of software that uses NSIS as an installer. I can assure you that any installers you obtain directly from the Telltale website DOES NOT contain any viruses or other bad things.

I'll try and follow up as much as I can, but there's also a thread on the NSIS forums tracking the issue:
    NSIS detected as trojan

In short, AGV messed up big time for a lot of people, not just Telltale Games.
    edited February 2008
    that link doesn't work... invalid thread specified.
  • edited February 2008
    lol that link took me to winamp :P
    edited February 2008
    Winamp is made by Nullsoft who also make NSIS - the Nullsoft Scriptable Installer System - which is what Telltale (and many other companies) use to make their installers.
  • edited February 2008
    I just got the same pop-up from my AVG scanner, something with zlob. trojan horse, I didn't know what to do, so I 'healed' it...
  • edited February 2008
    As Seg and I said earlier, It's a false positive. There isn't actually a virus.
  • edited February 2008
    I don't remember what the website was but there was a group who did a comprehensive test on many of the anti-virus programs out there and I remembered AVG was ranked low due to coming up with a ton of false positives.

I'd switch to something else.
  • edited February 2008
    www.avast.com ftw!

I've been using them at home for years, and we use their pro edition on our office computers. It's pretty awesome apart from two flaws:
    1) It thinks any email with a null subject is suspicious
    2) By default, it verbally announces all updates in what is admittedly a very reassuring and confident voice.
  • edited February 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    www.avast.com ftw!

I've been using them at home for years, and we use their pro edition on our office computers. It's pretty awesome apart from two flaws:
    1) It thinks any email with a null subject is suspicious
    2) By default, it verbally announces all updates in what is admittedly a very reassuring and confident voice.

I uninstalled that right after I saw the default user interface.
  • edited February 2008
    Switch to the 'advanced' UI and there you go :)
  • SegSeg
    edited February 2008
    Haven't heard any more problems with AGV reporting this as viruses. I assume that AGV cleared up the error.

@ Thark: NSIS is the Nullsoft Scriptable Installer System; Nullsoft being the company that created Winamp. Eventually they took their installer product to SourceForge so it can have a life of it's own.

On Avast: To turn off that annoying voice, do the following:
    1) Start -> Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices
    2) Click the 'Sound' tab
    3) Scroll the 'Program Events' section until you see the listing of 'avast! antivirus'.
    4) The one you want to set to 'none' is "Automatic VPS Update". Set others as you like (though I recommend you keep on any of the "... found" sounds).
    5) Click OK.
  • edited March 2009
    Thanks, Seg! Been looking for that since I installed avast!

-iRock
This discussion has been closed.