The walking Dead (Pc) will not launch with my controller plugged in

edited February 2013 in Game Support
I have an xbox 360 controller plugged in and the game will not launch. when I unplug it, it launches. If I try to plug it in after ive launched it doesn't allow me to switch over to using it.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Is that Windows 8?
  • edited February 2013
    Yes I have windows 8
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited February 2013
    That's a Known issue with Windows 8, which is not an officially supported operating system for The Walking Dead Season 1.
    There is an absolutely unofficial workaround by putting a certain dinput8.dll version in the games folder discussed at several places in this forum.
  • edited February 2013
    how would I do that can you link me to the fix
  • edited February 2013
    or guide me through it.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited February 2013
    I don't really support that workaround, i just let you know about it. It should be simple to do, but has risks.
    If you want to try it, here is one instance of it.
    Be aware that the source of the DLL is sketchy according to some users.
    That's the main reason why I say do it at your own risk, if you choose to do so.
  • edited February 2013
    I choose not to risk my computer. the main reason I want to use the controller is because when I get to Episode 2, chapter 7 or so. When the mother of the cannibals is pointing the gun at me I get stuck walking forward and cannot stop.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Lee walks without you pressing any keys?
    Normally you have to walk small steps until she tells you to stop, and then talk to her, AFAIR.
  • edited February 2013
    no I walk forward but when i go to stop i wont, i looked it up and its a very common issue
  • edited February 2013
    people said you could fix it by using a controller
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited February 2013
    I don't really know how to help you with that issue.
    Besides the the dinput8 workaround you could try transfering your savegames to another computer or VM to play through that point.
This discussion has been closed.