The gravestone in Raving Dead

edited February 2008 in Sam & Max
Spoiler Warning. Don't scroll down if you don't want something spoiled.

There is a gravestone which reads "Irony. 254 BC - AD 2004".

I quick search in some books leads me to think that modern comedy was created in 254 BC. So, what happened in 2004 to kill it and how is it ironic?

Comments

• edited February 2008
    I'd say, errrr, maybe LucasArts' choice to stop making funny ironic games, canceling Sam & Max Freelance Police so they could make money with billions of Star Wars games that suck? It makes sense, in a certain sense.
  • edited February 2008
    I'd say, errrr, maybe LucasArts' choice to stop making funny ironic games, canceling Sam & Max Freelance Police so they could make money with billions of Star Wars games that suck? It makes sense, in a certain sense.

Ah, so.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    I don't know if it was a LucasArts reference. Aside from the date on the box above the filing cabinet, have there really been that many (any?) LEC references, other than ones people thinly stretch out on the forum?
  • edited February 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    I don't know if it was a LucasArts reference. Aside from the date on the box above the filing cabinet, have there really been that many (any?) LEC references, other than ones people thinly stretch out on the forum?

Then why don't you just tell us what the reference is, wiseguy. :)
  • edited February 2008
    Yeah, as much as I'd like to continue the perception that we painstakingly research throwaway lines, the dates for the "Irony" gravestone were completely made up and don't refer to anything. (The dates for the inventor of Nitroglycerin are correct, though!)

And by the way, the freestyling portion in the castle isn't a reference to Grim Fandango, either.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    way to regulate chuck!
  • edited February 2008
    Are those bits where S&M are walking in the background and bumping into stuff we don't see a reference to MI1, though? :p
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    actually, believe it or not, those zombies are a reference to this movie i saw with zombies. and then when there's a gun in the game it's a homage to the matrix.
  • edited February 2008
    actually, i think the whole game is an homage to this old comic series i used to read in the 80's... called sam and max

(most obscure reference... beat that :) )
  • edited February 2008
    Chuck wrote: »
    And by the way, the freestyling portion in the castle isn't a reference to Grim Fandango, either.

Of course not! It's obviously a reference to Phantasmagoria...

(waits for the "omg rly???" post) :p
  • edited February 2008
    NickTTG wrote: »
    actually, believe it or not, those zombies are a reference to this movie i saw with zombies.
    you mean someone actually made a movie about zombies? awesome. when will it be out in europe?
    now i totally hope there will be a movie about vampires as well..
  • edited February 2008
    Chuck wrote: »
    Yeah, as much as I'd like to continue the perception that we painstakingly research throwaway lines, the dates for the "Irony" gravestone were completely made up and don't refer to anything.

It's amazingly random chancy fortuitously unpremeditated haphazardly slap-dash coincidence that 254 BC is the year that Titus Macchius Plautus was born?
  • edited February 2008
    I didn't see a gravestone for Irony, but I did see one for
    Moo Hoo Man 1972-1978
    . It was "hidden" next to the 2 for the nitroglycerin guy. (meaning you really can't see it but it's pop-up text appears when you hover over it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.