Celebrity jokes

edited February 2008 in Sam & Max
I know it may be a bit late in the season for this, but I'd like to fully express my extreme discontent at the celebutard jokes that have been running rampant in the second series of Sam & Max.

I mean, the target customer of these games is the geek that will keep playing the thing for years and years and years. Decades, even. I'm willing to bet everyone here has played and WILL play Hit the Road again.

Not to mention Monkey Island.

Just think: How funny will Paris Hilton jokes be in ten years? Not too funny, I can guarantee that. Plus, she probably won't be alive in ten years, which makes it even more gruesome. Paris who?

Cheers!

Comments

• edited February 2008
    Decades? Gosh...gee... :)

*Ahem* It would take a lot for Sam & Max to get dated. Still, though, Sam & Max is written in a way that cultural jokes, if missed, are just accepted as normal remarks. The remaining jokes compensate without problem. :D
  • edited February 2008
    I agree with what he's saying though. If you're gonna make pop-culture references, make them to things that will last as long as Sam & Max will. For example in HTR, the Star Wars reference was A-O-K with me. Everyone gets it.

The thing about Sam & Max humor that i like is that it is accessible, but only accessible if you choose to think about it for long enough to WANT to understand it. A humor you have to work for, so to speak.

And of course that it's delivered deadpan.
  • edited February 2008
    I'm willing to bet everyone here has played and WILL play Hit the Road again.

I've never played Hit the Road, I would play it but I don't know if I'll like it or not.
  • edited February 2008
    You'll like it.
  • edited February 2008
    mish wrote: »
    You'll like it.
    I don't know, it's not in 3D...

About the celebrity jokes, I tend to agree with the idea that less is more, but I was more bummed about the reference to MySpace and YouTube in one of the previous episodes. With the speed that the global economy (and technology!) moves at, those companies might not even exist anymore in, say, 5 or 10 years. I think you need to be careful that you don't make too many references that nobody gets, but I don't think Telltale have overstepped that line. As has been said, if you don't get a reference, you can just regard it as a general, still funny, remark - and with the availability of the Internet, you can always look it up and learn something new in the process. :)
  • edited February 2008
    I dunno...I think it would be pretty funny replaying the game in 10 years and coming across, say, a Paris Hilton joke, and thinking back, "Oh man! I remember back then when Paris Hilton got so much media when she shouldn't have!"
  • edited February 2008
    RyanMon wrote: »
    I dunno...I think it would be pretty funny replaying the game in 10 years and coming across, say, a Paris Hilton joke, and thinking back, "Oh man! I remember back then when Paris Hilton got so much media when she shouldn't have!"
    Well, then we also need to get a Jack Thompson joke, or has there already been one?
  • edited February 2008
    I'm pretty sure there's been a few.
  • edited February 2008
    This thread is pretty interesting (and funny), because after Abe Lincoln Must Die! came out, there was a comment on a different message board saying that the references all seemed dated and stuck in the 90s. And my response at the time was the same as the OP: we could've made more topical references, but then in 10 years you'd have people asking, "Who's Karl Rove?"

Different people in the company are going to have different opinions about this (not to mention the fans), but my opinion is that I want to make sure these are still funny if you play them 5 or 10 years later, but still take advantage of the fact that they're episodic games. We don't have to wait a year and a half for the game to get released, so we have some room to be a little more topical, and don't feel like you're playing some game that's stuck in 1993.

The problem is figuring what's so ephemeral that it's already going to be dated between the time it's written and it actually gets released. So no "Chocolate Rain" references, or Lolcats, or mentions of that ass Jack Thompson, sorry. And it looks like myspace is already on the way out (good riddance!) but I'd be very, very surprised if there's not the equivalent of YouTube 5 or 10 years from now.

I think if somebody's playing Season Two ten years from now, and wonders who Paris Hilton is, that'll be a good problem to have. It'll mean the games did have staying power, and that one line out of around 10,000 feels a little dated.
  • edited February 2008
    i completely agree with chuck the topical references are a good idea as well as general ones, like for example old sitcoms with similar styled references are often still brilliant and people still get the jokes
  • edited February 2008
    American-English is very similar to English spoken by us here in the UK. This has pros and cons.
    One of the pros is that, unlike the rest of Europe, it's possible for us to play content released in America without having to wait for a translation or learn another language.
    Unfortunately one of the cons is that sometimes publishers don't bothersmaking a proper translation for the UK. Hence we have to put up with American spellings, and even worse, jokes about domestic American celebrities that we've never heard of.

However I think TellTale have done a fine job so far.
    ...what, thought this was going to be a rant post? Why do I think TellTale are doing a good job?
    Well, they're multi talented. They don't rely on the celeb jokes. I see them as there as a nice bonus for if you get them, if not, then never mind.

A good example was the Nancy Pelosi joke last episode.
    I hear the joke, and having no idea what it meant, I just ignored it. No harm done. If I had really wanted an explanation, I could have wiki'ed it.
    By the way I do know who Nancy Pelosi is now though; my brother got it, walked up behind me, said "OMG, I can't beleive they actually put a joke like that in!", then explained it to me.
    So extra kudos for getting us talking about it!
  • edited February 2008
    Chris1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately one of the cons is that sometimes publishers don't bothersmaking a proper translation for the UK. Hence we have to put up with American spellings, and even worse, jokes about domestic American celebrities that we've never heard of.
    A HA! Now the tables have turned! Now you know what it's like watching Monty Python for years and not recognizing half of what they're talking about, but realizing that it must be funny*. Or watching "Garth Marenghi's Darkplace" and not understanding half the jokes about Scottish people or recognizing the names of towns.
    Chris1 wrote:
    By the way I do know who Nancy Pelosi is now though; my brother got it, walked up behind me, said "OMG, I can't beleive they actually put a joke like that in!", then explained it to me.
    Cool, I'm genuinely glad to hear that! That's exactly how it's supposed to work, IMO.

* Disclaimer because people on the internet sometimes like to take quotes out of context and form snap judgments: I'm not saying these games are as funny/timeless/whatever as Monty Python, only that "non-localized" comedy goes both ways.
  • edited February 2008
    Chuck wrote: »
    * Disclaimer because people on the internet sometimes like to take quotes out of context and form snap judgments: I'm not saying these games are as funny/timeless/whatever as Monty Python, only that "non-localized" comedy goes both ways.

Case and point: any anime.

I found a joke in an anime version of Powerpuff Girls where the baker was singing a pun about bread and panties because the two are phonetically the same in the Japanese language.
  • edited February 2008
    mish wrote: »
    For example in HTR, the Star Wars reference was A-O-K with me. Everyone gets it.

I didn't get it. I don't even remember it. Then again, I don't like Star Wars. :D
    I've never played Hit the Road, I would play it but I don't know if I'll like it or not.

If you like adventure games and Sam & Max, well...
    This thread is pretty interesting (and funny)

You're obviously a highly intelligent, extremely good-looking and very talented person.

Cheers!
  • edited February 2008
    Some celebrity/US-specific references do go over my head, but as is said above - those ones can be safely ignored, because there's enough other funny stuff in there.

That being said, I did get the Nancy Pelosi joke, because The Daily Show is one of my regular sources of news about the USA (yeah, I know, probably not the *best* source, but certainly the funniest).

Then again, there was a great play-on-meanings in the Office in 203 - check out that giant piece of footwear on the dartboard?
    Max: You know what they say about people with giant feet?
    Sam: That they wear giant thongs?

LOL for Aussies, who do know what
    thong
    means in the US, which is entirely different to here... :)
  • edited February 2008
    Molokov wrote: »
    Some celebrity/US-specific references do go over my head, but as is said above - those ones can be safely ignored, because there's enough other funny stuff in there.

That being said, I did get the Nancy Pelosi joke, because The Daily Show is one of my regular sources of news about the USA (yeah, I know, probably not the *best* source, but certainly the funniest).

Then again, there was a great play-on-meanings in the Office in 203 - check out that giant piece of footwear on the dartboard?
    Max: You know what they say about people with giant feet?
    Sam: That they wear giant thongs?

LOL for Aussies, who do know what
    thong
    means in the US, which is entirely different to here... :)
    It's okay, The Daily Show is the main source of news for many an American college student.
  • edited February 2008
    A HA! Now the tables have turned! Now you know what it's like watching Monty Python for years and not recognizing half of what they're talking about, but realizing that it must be funny.

I don't remember Monty Python using any celebrity names...
  • edited February 2008
    While I share some of these reservations, I feel that the "immediacy" of the episodic format helps. There's no real upside to completely disposable humor, but I think a few current events-related one-liners in a monthly game series are fairly appropriate.
  • edited February 2008
    Chris1 wrote: »
    I don't remember Monty Python using any celebrity names...
    Off the top of my head: Lulu, Petula Clark, and Cyril Connolly. I'm sure if I'd watched any of the show in the past 10 years, I'd remember more.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.