peculiar bug?

edited February 2008 in Game Support
I've been trying to run the demo of raving dead, but my computer seem to be subject to some peculiar bug. I can get into the web-based splash screen prompting me to buy the game, and a button for plaing the free demo.
When I press the button for free demo, the screen turns into a gray rectangular block, all the icons on my desktop begins to stutter with some tune looping endlessly in the background. And that's it. Nothing else happens. I've tried it again with demo versions of other season two games, and they show the same gray block. For some reason the season one works fine though.

My laptop's running windows xp sp2, a later model xps M1210 with dedicated graphics card and 2g ram, core 2 duo 2.0ghz etc. Oh, and whenever the gray block thing happens my task manager shows 70~80% activity on my processor, if that matters.

There is no special pop up message regarding the source/reason for error.

Comments

• edited February 2008
    Hello? Can anyone help me with this?
  • edited February 2008
    Sorry, it's the weekend. Telltale will be back tomorrow.
  • SegSeg
    edited February 2008
    The graphics card on that machine isn't exactly supported which means that games may or may not run. While Season One worked for that computer, Season two has raised the bar. While we're still matching our minimum specifications, your computer never completely met them. I know this is a crummy situation. The Integrated graphics cards from Intel are the bane of everyone's life. :/

That said, we have a few more options to try out. First and foremost, it's good to run the DirectX installer. This will update to the latest and refresh your DirectX install.

Next, updating your system's BIOS and graphics drivers is always a good idea. I took the liberty of looking up your system's drivers page. In particular, you will need to use the following updates:

Intel Graphics Drivers
    BIOS Update

While I can't guarantee that doing these three things will make Season Two work, it will get your system prepared as it can be.
  • edited February 2008
    Thank you for the links :)

Actually this is a model with a dedicated Nvidia graphics card instead of intel integrated graphics. I have no problem running Oblivion on medium-high settings, so I'm probably adequately equipped to handle Sam and Max... Or is there something I am not aware of here? (regarding pre-req I mean)

I have the latest DX already, but I see that my BIOS needs updating. I'll post back with results once I'm done.
  • edited February 2008
    I've updated my BIOS, the DX, and yet the problem persists. Music, shaky screen, and gray square while eating up processor.

I am not convinced that my computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements, considering the kind of applications already running on this computer (you'd be talking near-Crysis level of requirement if it even refuses to start on this machine).

I'm running custom skin and glass2k mod on my windows. Would that make any difference? Or maybe antivirus program or even firewall configuration (as unlikely as it is).

I'll hunt down the latest driver for my graphics card when I get off work tomorrow.

If anyone has other idea please keep them coming.
  • SegSeg
    edited February 2008
    When you said dedicated, I understood that as the Intel Integrated graphics card. I did see that the Nvidia card was an option, but I thought you didn't have the Nvidia card. My bad! Completely disregard all the minimum requirements statements I made about your computer!

The actual drivers for your graphics card is here. So you don't need to go hunting. Put that in and see how things goes.

I would say try and see if disabling glass2k fixes things. It may be the window skinning program is in conflict with our skinning of our own application. Also, are you running process explorer?
This discussion has been closed.