PN1 bug report.

was playing some PN1 to get me ready, and I ran up against this hand:

http://i.imgur.com/RZQqRIy.jpg

To recap, Heavy had Qc5c, and the board ran out 4cJs6c7c8c - heavy has a 8-high straight flush, but the computer only awarded him a Q-high flush...

Comments

• ProfanityProfanity Banned
    edited April 2013
    Tiny scout what. TINY SCOUT WHAT!?

Anyway, noice bug. It's one of those that only a very rare individual can experience. I haven't even seen a straight flush line-up in this game.
  • edited April 2013
    I've also noticed - but not documented - a lot of cases where kickers don't play but the computer thinks they do.

For example, if I hold AQ and Max holds A7, and the board runs out A66K3, the computer will sometimes aware the pot to me, despite us holding the exact same hand - AA66K.

What's weird is that this should be the simplest part of the game to program.

There are 21 combinations of cards for each hand. A & B are the hole cards, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 are the board cards.

1 2 3 4 5 - Playing the Board
    A 1 2 3 4
    A 2 3 4 5
    A 3 4 5 1
    A 4 5 1 2
    A 5 1 2 3
    B 1 2 3 4
    B 2 3 4 5
    B 3 4 5 1
    B 4 5 1 2
    B 5 1 2 3
    A B 2 3 4
    A B 3 4 5
    A B 1 2 3
    A B 4 5 1
    A B 5 1 2
    A B 4 5 2
    A B 4 1 2
    A B 5 1 3
    A B 5 2 3
    A B 1 3 5

Just go through all those combinations, searching (in order) for a straight flush. If one straight flush is found, that's your hand, if more than one is found, find out which one is the highest, and that's your hand.

If no straight flush is found, go to quads, then full houses, then flushes, then straights, then trips, then two pair, then pairs, then high cards.

Granted, this is the brute-force method, but I think the dataset is small enough that you can get away with an O(n^2) algorithm here... Omaha's trickier, but even then it should be fine.
  • HoboStewHoboStew Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2013
    BrianBoyko wrote: »
    was playing some PN1 to get me ready, and I ran up against this hand:

http://i.imgur.com/RZQqRIy.jpg

To recap, Heavy had Qc5c, and the board ran out 4cJs6c7c8c - heavy has a 8-high straight flush, but the computer only awarded him a Q-high flush...

Yup, this was a bug that someone posted in the forums after the first game got released. The problem is that straight flushes were not getting evaluated properly if the straight flush was made up of the lowest 5 cards in your full 7 card hand. That has been fixed for this version. Doubtful we will patch the old one but I will check about that.
  • edited April 2013
    BrianBoyko wrote: »
    I've also noticed - but not documented - a lot of cases where kickers don't play but the computer thinks they do.

For example, if I hold AQ and Max holds A7, and the board runs out A66K3, the computer will sometimes aware the pot to me, despite us holding the exact same hand - AA66K.

Your hand is higher. Hole cards determine ties (thus your unused Q beats Max's 7)
  • edited April 2013
    Your hand is higher. Hole cards determine ties (thus your unused Q beats Max's 7)

You're incorrect. It's a split pot. There is no sixth card in one's hand, and in this case "the kickers don't play."

AQ vs A7 - A66K3 board - AQ plays AA66K || A7 plays AA66K. Tie.

AQ vs A7 - A66J3 board - AQ plays AA66Q || A7 plays AA66J. Q beats J. AQ wins.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.