About "Reality 2.0" musics

edited March 2008 in Sam & Max
A simple question (that can be followed by another simple question) : is the original format file of the Virtual Reality's musics MIDI ? If yes, here comes the following question : can it be downloaded somewhere ? I think some of them could make good cell phone ring tunes (or try playing them on a real OPL3 chip...). It just reminds me both the music style of HtR, and the sounding of Game Boys.

Comments

• edited February 2008
    If you want the audio tracks, then they're on the soundtrack CD. If it's MIDI you want then I very much doubt that MIDI versions will see light of day, legally or otherwise. You could always try and program one or two as MIDI yourself, if you know how.
  • edited February 2008
    Yep I know how, but these are somehow complicated :) And I doubt a program do to WAV2MID conversion could get the right notes, even if the sounds are simples (square waveforms and sorts...). I got the mp3 musics from the soundtrack download page. But, if you don't ask, you can't get. It's costless to ask :)
  • edited February 2008
    Mwyann wrote: »
    Yep I know how, but these are somehow complicated :) And I doubt a program do to WAV2MID conversion could get the right notes, even if the sounds are simples (square waveforms and sorts...). I got the mp3 musics from the soundtrack download page. But, if you don't ask, you can't get. It's costless to ask :)
    Well, not exactly. There are plenty of questions that, when asked, cost your dignity. Not saying that this is one of them, though.
  • edited February 2008
    According to the sound commentary on that episode, Jared originally wanted the soundtrack to be MIDI and to run off of everyone's sound card. He didn't do it for compatibility reasons, because what may sound nice on his machine may come out as garbage on your's.

What he ended up doing, if I understand the commentary correctly, is that he composed the song like normal but ran it through a MIDI sequencer that make it into the 8-bit synth. He then layered it with live instruments because of how harsh the raw bleeps and bloops sounded.

If you do buy the CD Soundtrack, you can hear the live instruments in the background to help soften the sounds, especially in Crusin' 2.0 where you can hear the underscore of the strings from the live instrument version.
  • edited February 2008
    Mwyann wrote: »
    I think some of them could make good cell phone ring tunes (or try playing them on a real OPL3 chip...).

I am using the "Bosco's 2.0" MP3 from the Season 1 DvD as the ringtone for the alarm-clock in my cell-phone at the moment but i might change it into something different soon...
  • edited February 2008
    Mirko wrote: »
    I am using the "Bosco's 2.0" MP3 from the Season 1 DvD as the ringtone for the alarm-clock in my cell-phone at the moment but i might change it into something different soon...

My phone only accepts MIDI files. I've already put some MIDI files from HtR on it (my default ring tone for calls is the famous "Who's John Muir" song, it's 20 seconds long, that's exactly the time I get to answer until it goes to the answering machine. So I know, when the song is finished, that I missed the call ;))
  • edited February 2008
    Oh, and for my alarm-clock, I use the Savage Jungle Inn theme song (when you're outdoor).
  • edited February 2008
    One of the site's easter eggs has a midi file of some game music... if you can find it ;)
  • edited February 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    One of the site's easter eggs has a midi file of some game music... if you can find it ;)
    Was that the sample link page?
    That got me a 404 error last time I tried...
    EDIT: Just double checked and it did work. Odd.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    then you weren't trying hard enough!
  • edited March 2008
    Anyway, a great Bravo to Jared Emerson-Johnson for the music, very expressive and well done ! (and the others too for their respective work. Poof !).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.