Anyone wanna help me understand this?

I feel like this is a bug. I had a straight with a Ace high that the game recognized, and claptrap beat me with a higher straight. http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/866092676011939513/87EE235E69495F347D5FCC59515636F62BAC91D7/
Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Not without seeing the numbers/ranks on the cards. Sorry. (in the screenshot you linked only your Ace is showing.)
  • ProfanityProfanity Banned
    edited May 2013
    Was the ace a community card?
  • edited May 2013
    If your straight was A2345, it wasn't an ace-high straight, it was a 5-high straight.

But I don't think that's what's going on here because I think the hand would have been displayed as "5432A" -- it sorts the cards, if I recall. So we wouldn't even need to see the other cards to know that the result was wrong if it didn't declare the player the winner, since the player clearly has the nut straight here.
    Profanity wrote: »
    Was the ace a community card?
    That wouldn't affect the result any.
  • ProfanityProfanity Banned
    edited May 2013
    furrykef wrote: »
    That wouldn't affect the result any.

I know, but it's fun knocking people who are already having a problem out of balance.

There are way too many threads like this, you get bored after a while.
  • edited May 2013
    Wasn't a community card, came from my hand, and what was placed for me was Ace, king, Queen, Jack, 10. Highest straight possible to my knowledge. No need to even see Claptrap's hand, they were both straights, couldn't have possibly beat that to my knowledge.
  • edited May 2013
    Wasn't a community card, came from my hand, and what was placed for me was Ace, king, Queen, Jack, 10. Highest straight possible to my knowledge. No need to even see Claptrap's hand, they were both straights, couldn't have possibly beat that to my knowledge.

Was this in Omaha?

If so, only 2 of the cards in your hand count, and 3 of the hands in the community cards count. If 3 of the cards were in your hand or 4 in the community, it was not a straight.
  • edited May 2013
    It clearly says "straight" under both hands, Gman. There isn't any misreading of hands here. The player had the best possible straight, period.
  • edited May 2013
    I posted this partly as a bug report and partly to confirm I didn't miss anything. Every bug report helps fix the game. And yes, it was Omaha, and yes, I understand the rules of Omaha. Not hard to figure out after a little while. 2 of the cards in your hand and 3 of the community cards are used. Simple as that.
  • edited May 2013
    It clearly says "straight" under both hands, Gman. There isn't any misreading of hands here. The player had the best possible straight, period.

have we determined if they had ace high straight or 5 high straight?

why would the OP white out the cards?
  • edited May 2013
    have we determined if they had ace high straight or 5 high straight?
    As I said, a 5-high straight would almost certainly be ordered "5432A", not "A2345" or "A5432". If so, it'd be safe to assume that he did have AKQJT, since the ace appears at the left in the screenshot.
    why would the OP white out the cards?
    That's a good question and I've been wondering that myself. I was thinking that maybe the cards' ranks disappear very quickly one by one and the OP only caught the screenshot just before the ace got erased. But if the OP whited it out himself, that's very puzzling.
  • edited May 2013
    As I said, a 5-high straight would almost certainly be ordered "5432A", not "A2345" or "A5432". If so, it'd be safe to assume that he did have AKQJT, since the ace appears at the left in the screenshot.

That's a good question and I've been wondering that myself. I was thinking that maybe the cards' ranks disappear very quickly one by one and the OP only caught the screenshot just before the ace got erased. But if the OP whited it out himself, that's very puzzling.

i can clearly see some white squares, i doubt that was the game design. order is one thing. if the OP was already whiting out card face values, whats to stop a copy-paste of the Ace, or the word "Straight".

what the hell is to gain from this post?
  • edited May 2013
    It's not even possible to determine who had what with the cards whited out. Feels very much like the op is intentionally trying to waste people's time.
  • edited May 2013
    If the screenshot was manipulated, yes, this matter is a waste of time. I don't see the white squares you're talking about, though.
    It's not even possible to determine who had what with the cards whited out.
    If the OP didn't white out the cards himself, then the other cards don't matter -- ace-high straights beat all other straights. If he did, though, there's no telling what other manipulation he might have done, not to mention it's also a simple matter to lie about who won.
  • edited May 2013
    Indeed. That is pretty much why I said we can't help without seeing the values of the cards. I have never seen the cards values disappear like that. Only thing I can think of is if either it was taken too early or too late and the cards hadn't fully displayed yet/were taken away, or if the picture was digitally edited then uploaded. Like I just did with this screen capturing a moment that so legitimately happened in the game you guys! I swear! Honest!

And it is really not all that hard to color match and cover parts of an imageto "erase" things. Especially in situations where the background is just one solid color with no gradients. And the gradients thing probably could be taken care of with that fill and repair or whatever tool photoshop has.
  • edited May 2013
    I swear I never whited out anything. I actually thought it was supposed to be like that, shown up with mostly white squares in every hand I've played, only some things have shown, such as aces. And yes, I had an ace high straight, and claptrap had some other straight, and the whole pot went to him. What would I gain from lying?
  • edited May 2013
    I swear I never whited out anything. I actually thought it was supposed to be like that, shown up with mostly white squares in every hand I've played, only some things have shown, such as aces. And yes, I had an ace high straight, and claptrap had some other straight, and the whole pot went to him. What would I gain from lying?
    How do you know what cards he had if it never displays?
  • edited May 2013
    Well, for this specific hand, it wouldn't matter what cards he has because there is no straight that beats an ace-high straight.

TBH, this would be more credible if you record a video that shows the same problem with the cards not showing up properly. Besides, maybe it would help Telltale pin down what's causing that.
  • edited May 2013
    Unless one of the cards he erased was an Ace as well. Plus we don't even know from the screenshot who actually won the hand. It just shows both the player and Claptrap have a straight with unknown cards except for 1 conviently shown Ace in the player's hand, no money totals, and the Click to deal the next hand prompt.
  • edited May 2013
    Two players with different straights with an ace would be quite unusual. It would have to be something like this:

Board: A23QJ
    Player 1: KT
    Player 2: 45

Player 1 would still win, though. You can't beat an ace-high straight, and if (I admit this is a big if) the screenshot hasn't been manipulated, that's what the OP had.
  • edited July 2013
    I wish people would stop accusing the OP of manipulating his screenshot. I also have the same issue with the card ranks not being displayed at the top of the screen. It was the same in PNATI and is very frustrating but I put it down to my graphics card.

Unless the OP is lying about having held A-K-Q-J-10 or about losing the hand (and I can't imagine why one would) then it looks like that must be an error in the game. It would be nice if the game allowed you to review the previous hand to help resolve situations like this. I regularly have no idea why I won/lost a hand because the showdown happens so quickly.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.