Season disc sets - Telltale's version vs. retail

edited March 2008 in Sam & Max
Hi Emily,

When can I expect a release of Season 2 package in Sweden? Around summer or around autumn.

Waiting with exciting! :)

Have already buyed Season 1 to my collection. And must say I love these adventure episodes of Sam & Max.

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    Telltale's DVD will be available in late spring / early summer (don't know exactly when yet, but we'll announce a date when we know). This will be available for free (plus shipping) to current Season Two customers, and will also be available from our online store to new customers.

A retail release is still being negotiated, so if that's what you're asking about, the answer is "I don't know yet". :D
  • edited March 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    Telltale's DVD will be available in late spring / early summer (don't know exactly when yet, but we'll announce a date when we know). This will be available for free (plus shipping) to current Season Two customers, and will also be available from our online store to new customers.

A retail release is still being negotiated, so if that's what you're asking about, the answer is "I don't know yet". :D

Yeah it was the retail release I was asking about...:)

Let's hope that my online store will release Season 2 also
    because TellTale Games can expect a buy from me. ;)

I'm praying! :o
  • edited March 2008
    Who was crazy enough just to buy one episode?! ;)
  • edited March 2008
    Who was crazy enough just to buy one episode?! ;)

hehe not me.....:D
  • mremre
    edited March 2008
    Since I'm one of the few Swedes here I thought I'd give you my views, since I actually waited all those months for the Swedish release of Season 1. If anything goes like last time, you'll be waiting until autumn for the release (Season 1 went on the shelves here on August 31, after beeing released in the States before summer), and when you finally get it after all the waiting, you get a terrible release at that (the Swedish DVD has basically the episodes, with material from the website as the only extras - that is, no original content at all, and none of the nice extras from the American Telltale DVD).

Ok, I know I'm ranting, but what I'm getting at is that you'll be happier if you just buy the Telltale download version. It's about the same price as the retail one, you get the episodes when they're released, and in the end you'll also get a free DVD of the episodes delivered to you for just the price of shipping (plus tax and toll fees if you're unlucky, of course).

So... Yeah. Telltale good. Retail bad. :p
  • edited March 2008
    mre wrote: »
    Since I'm one of the few Swedes here I thought I'd give you my views, since I actually waited all those months for the Swedish release of Season 1. If anything goes like last time, you'll be waiting until autumn for the release (Season 1 went on the shelves here on August 31, after beeing released in the States before summer), and when you finally get it after all the waiting, you get a terrible release at that (the Swedish DVD has basically the episodes, with material from the website as the only extras - that is, no original content at all, and none of the nice extras from the American Telltale DVD).

Ok, I know I'm ranting, but what I'm getting at is that you'll be happier if you just buy the Telltale download version. It's about the same price as the retail one, you get the episodes when they're released, and in the end you'll also get a free DVD of the episodes delivered to you for just the price of shipping (plus tax and toll fees if you're unlucky, of course).

So... Yeah. Telltale good. Retail bad. :p

Okey, but I get the original episodes then? and not some censur episodes right?

And have the Season 1 Swedish retail version censored episodes in anyway?
    Or are the episodes for Season 1 and 2 that get's released for Swedish retail
    orignal also?

And what exact do I miss with the Swedish retail version? The Season 1 retail include for example:

Behind The Scenes
    Trailers For All Six Episodes
    Desktop Wallpapers
    etc...

Something special I miss with Telltales retail download?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    I may be wrong, but I believe that all of the versions have equal amounts of censoring. Basically, what little censoring that does exist in the games is purely for comedic purposes. As far as I know that hasn't been changed in any of the translations.
  • edited March 2008
    Will wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but I believe that all of the versions have equal amounts of censoring. Basically, what little censoring that does exist in the games is purely for comedic purposes. As far as I know that hasn't been changed in any of the translations.

glad to hear this....:D
  • mremre
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, the episodes are the same (as far as I could tell, anyway). However, the extras differ between releases, and at least for Season 1 they were a lot more scarce in the European compared to the Telltale release. If you want to read up on it, you can find the Season 1 Bonus DVD in the Telltale Store.
  • edited March 2008
    mre wrote: »
    Yeah, the episodes are the same (as far as I could tell, anyway). However, the extras differ between releases, and at least for Season 1 they were a lot more scarce in the European compared to the Telltale release. If you want to read up on it, you can find the Season 1 Bonus DVD in the Telltale Store.

Will do! :)
  • edited March 2008
    TellTale Store Bonus Disc:

• All six episodes on one disc.
    (Requires DVD-ROM drive)
    • Cutscene video reels with 4+ hours of commentary tracks by the developers.
    • All 18 Sam & Max machinima shorts. • Sam & Max Season One blooper reel.
    • Concept art montage video.
    • All Season One teasers and trailers, including the original E3 2006 teaser trailer.
    • Surprise bonus content!

Swedish retail webstore bonus included in the disc:

http://images.play.com/covers/3358187m.jpg - Cover in Sweden!

• Exclusive full-sized poster featuring artwork by Sam & Max creator Steve Purcell!
    • Exclusive all-new Sam & Max Behind The Scenes Video!
    • Exclusive character bios!
    • Trailers for all six episodes
    • Loads of concept artwork
    • Desktop wallpapers
    • An MP3 soundtrack sampler
    • Access to other Sam & Max goodies,
    such as an online web comic and comic generator
    for making your very own comic strips

Well if we compare these two the American and the Swedish bonus extra we find out that some things is missing from the American release. But for me I am glad to have the full episodes cuz that what's really matter in this case. :)

Why the bonus extras isn't the same , is a big ? for me...

Maybe Telltale can answer on that question!
  • edited March 2008
    The Swedish version sounds pretty much like the retail version available worldwide.
    Yes, there were slightly different bonus features (Telltale's has the commentary & machinma etc, Retail has the poster and behind-the-scenes video etc), but nothing out of the ordinary.

The "Access to other Sam & Max goodies" doesn't seem like much of a bonus feature considering they're on Telltale's website and have been for ages....

BTW, the Telltale release has the Desktop wallpapers & MP3 samples as well.
    edited March 2008
    The bonuses are different because The Adventure Company and JoWood (retail distributors) wanted some stuff that was just for their customers, and we wanted some stuff that was just for our customers. :)
  • edited March 2008
    I finally got to see the behind the scenes video in the retail version and I was a little disappointed. It was only 10 minutes long and didn't really have that much to offer. Some things were a bit off, for example I noticed when they were talking about concept art they showed that fan art wallpaper someone on the forums made of all the characters together. Also, somehow a screen shot of Freelance Police got shoved in a montage of Season One shots.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    I finally got to see the behind the scenes video in the retail version and I was a little disappointed. It was only 10 minutes long and didn't really have that much to offer. Some things were a bit off, for example I noticed when they were talking about concept art they showed that fan art wallpaper someone on the forums made of all the characters together. Also, somehow a screen shot of Freelance Police got shoved in a montage of Season One shots.

Is this the North American/US version you're playing?
  • edited March 2008
    I found the video on youtube actually. Isn't this the one that's included in the retail version?
    edited March 2008
    We caught those mistakes and asked them to fix them before the disc printed (and if I remember correctly, they did). Maybe an early version somehow ended up on YouTube.
  • edited March 2008
    The bonuses are different because The Adventure Company and JoWood (retail distributors) wanted some stuff that was just for their customers, and we wanted some stuff that was just for our customers. :)
    you just wanted us to buy both version...confess.;)
    just kidding. btw, the poster that was included in the retail had the same artwork as the surfing print that is available in the telltale store now, right?
  • edited March 2008
    Emily,

I assume the episodes is the same even if the bonus extras isn't the same?
    Censour is the worst thing that EXISTS! Don't you agree? :)
    edited March 2008
    Yes, the games are the same no matter which version you get (except for the languages, of course).

And also yes, the art on the posters is the same as the one in the store. We actually had those printed last summer, but we didn't add them to the store right away so as not to compete with the bonus poster in the retail version. We only put that poster in the store about a month ago.
  • edited March 2008
    Yes, the games are the same no matter which version you get (except for the languages, of course).

And also yes, the art on the posters is the same as the one in the store. We actually had those printed last summer, but we didn't add them to the store right away so as not to compete with the bonus poster in the retail version. We only put that poster in the store about a month ago.

Glad to hear that nothing is changed to the episodes what so ever.
    All things around them doesn't matter so much...

Hope to see more of Sam & Max in the future!
  • mremre
    edited March 2008
    We caught those mistakes and asked them to fix them before the disc printed (and if I remember correctly, they did). Maybe an early version somehow ended up on YouTube.

That version is actually the one that's on the European retail DVD.

Hope I don't come off as a troll. :o
    edited March 2008
    That version is actually the one that's on the European retail DVD.

Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Which version of the European DVD? Just English, or English/German/French/Italian?
  • mremre
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Which version of the European DVD? Just English, or English/German/French/Italian?

The English one.
    edited March 2008
    It just so happens they're about to do a second printing, so it looks like we'll be able to get this fixed. Thanks for pointing it out!
  • edited March 2008
    Just a silly question about the Telltale season one disc version:why is the little booklet incomplete? Is it intentional?Thanks
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    albyu2 wrote: »
    Just a silly question about the Telltale season one disc version:why is the little booklet incomplete? Is it intentional?Thanks

It contains all you need to know :) We thought it would be funny, is all.
  • edited March 2008
    Thanks Jake, I thought so, you guys always come up with original ideas!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.