PN2: Not reading hands right

I keep experiencing glitches where the game keeps reading my hands incorrectly. I would lose because it give me two pair instead of a full house, a pair instead of a straight or flush and so on, this happens on both types of tournaments. Frankly this makes the game almost unplayable to me.

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Unless you can prove that the game is misreading your hand then there's not a lot that can be done.
  • edited May 2013
    They could look into the hand reading coding and possibly patch the game, fixing this mess, all without anything but my complaint, but I'm not the only one having these issues. There are several complaints of hand misreadings, just look in the game discussion forum for PN2, there are several threads there listing many issues, not just hand misreading.

I'm currently working on capturing a few screen shots of the misreadings.
    Will that do?
  • edited May 2013
    Most of the discussion regarding misreading of hands stems from a lack of understanding of how Omaha hold 'em works.

Screen shots are a must really.
  • edited May 2013
    Most of the discussion regarding misreading of hands stems from a lack of understanding of how Omaha hold 'em works.

Except I've been having the same problems with the Texas hold'em mode too.
  • edited May 2013
    I never said that was your problem, as you pretty much said that you had problems with both tournament styles. But it is the usual answer to this sort of thing.
  • HoboStewHoboStew Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2013
    I keep experiencing glitches where the game keeps reading my hands incorrectly. I would lose because it give me two pair instead of a full house, a pair instead of a straight or flush and so on, this happens on both types of tournaments. Frankly this makes the game almost unplayable to me.

If you could post a screen shot of the game misreading a hand, that would help a lot. There was a bug in the first game misreading straightflushes in specific situations, but other than that I haven't seen any cases of actual incorrect hand evaluation.
  • edited May 2013
    And now my copy's refusing to launch outside of Windows 98 mode, which Steam wont let you take screenshots in. Outside of 98 mode it only enters the loading screen and promptly crashes to desktop.
  • edited May 2013
    If you have no proof, we have no reason to believe you yet
  • edited May 2013
    HoboStew wrote: »
    If you could post a screen shot of the game misreading a hand, that would help a lot. There was a bug in the first game misreading straightflushes in specific situations, but other than that I haven't seen any cases of actual incorrect hand evaluation.

There definitely are some issues that need to be addressed.

From what I've seen, the game has issues with competing straights at times.

For instance, just now played a game of Omaha that resulted in a showdown with Brock. I had 3,4,5,6,7 and Brock had 2,3,4,5 and got an Ace on the river to make an A,2,3,4,5 straight.

Game acknowledged the two straights and gave the hand to Brock "with the high straight".

So...The poker engine has some kinks they still need to work out for sure.
  • HoboStewHoboStew Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2013
    JJoyce wrote: »
    There definitely are some issues that need to be addressed.

From what I've seen, the game has issues with competing straights at times.

For instance, just now played a game of Omaha that resulted in a showdown with Brock. I had 3,4,5,6,7 and Brock had 2,3,4,5 and got an Ace on the river to make an A,2,3,4,5 straight.

Game acknowledged the two straights and gave the hand to Brock "with the high straight".

So...The poker engine has some kinks they still need to work out for sure.
    Thus far, every screen shot I have seen of Omaha that people think the game is reading incorrectly is a result of not fully understanding the rules of Omaha. You can only use 2 of your 4 hole cards, and 3 of the 5 community cards. You can't just make the best hand of all 7 cards. I would have to see the screen shot of the hand you are describing to make sure that is what happened here, but that would be my guess. Not to say its not possible there is a hand here or there that it gets wrong, I just haven't seen it yet.
  • edited May 2013
    HoboStew wrote: »
    Thus far, every screen shot I have seen of Omaha that people think the game is reading incorrectly is a result of not fully understanding the rules of Omaha. You can only use 2 of your 4 hole cards, and 3 of the 5 community cards. You can't just make the best hand of all 7 cards. I would have to see the screen shot of the hand you are describing to make sure that is what happened here, but that would be my guess. Not to say its not possible there is a hand here or there that it gets wrong, I just haven't seen it yet.

Yeah, I know a lot of people are getting confused with how the rules of Omaha differ from Texas Hold 'em.

If I hadn't disabled the screenshot shortcut because of issues with another game, I'd have grabbed a pic.

I will say that's the only instance in 15 or so hours of playing PN2 where I've encountered a glitch, so...It's definitely not as common as people make it out to be, but there's still a quirk or two.
  • edited May 2013
    I had 3 pairs and the game only counted 2 pairs!
  • edited May 2013
    I can't tell if you're joking or not. There's no such thing as 3 pairs in poker.

All poker hands consists of five cards -- no more, no less. 3 pairs would require six cards.
  • edited July 2013
    furrykef wrote: »
    I can't tell if you're joking or not. There's no such thing as 3 pairs in poker.

All poker hands consists of five cards -- no more, no less. 3 pairs would require six cards.

Not true. One of the cards was a three-and-a-half.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.