Enabling the graphical enhancements from the season 2 trailer in-game?

edited March 2008 in Sam & Max
Now that we're well into the second and a bit year of the new episodic Sam & Max games, this also means that the engine that powers it is also two and a bit years old. Don't get me wrong, it's great that Sam & Max can run on "modest" machines, and being able to re-use assets is certainly a great... Well, asset to Telltale's buisness model.

But here's a thought: why not give players the option to enable some of the effects that were seen in the season 2 trailer? To the best of my knowledge, said trailer used all the game's assets, but there was a few extra effects that the game does not use. For example, soft lighting and reflections. You can see examples of the former on Max when he and Sam are standing outside the office, and you can see examples of the latter on the Desoto and the office's door knob.

Now I'm no game creator, but how difficult would it be to enable these effects in-game? Sure, it would chew up the framerate a bit more, but that's the point, to make the game look just that little bit nicer for those of us whose machines far surpass what Sam & Max is asking for. What do you think, Telltale?

Comments

• edited March 2008
    The trailer was pre-rendered in a 3D program separate from the game engine. Those effects aren't implemented in the engine.
  • edited March 2008
    Many of them are from After Effects, in fact. A LOT of post-production went into that trailer, even after, as Eddy said, it was rendered out from Maya. Although the environments, objects, and characters are the same models we use, nothing in that trailer is realtime or even close.
  • edited March 2008
    billyboy12 wrote: »
    Now I'm no game creator, but how difficult would it be to enable these effects in-game? Sure, it would chew up the framerate a bit more, but that's the point, to make the game look just that little bit nicer for those of us whose machines far surpass what Sam & Max is asking for. What do you think, Telltale?

I'm not expert, but I'd expect you'd need quite a powerful multi-processor machine, and would wind up with the game chugging along at one frame every five minutes.
  • edited March 2008
    Fair enough, it won't be exactly like the trailer, but still, how possible would it be to add a few extra effects (soft shadows and reflections) to the actual game?
  • edited March 2008
    Graphical enhancements aside, increasing in-game resolution can have a tremendous effect on graphical quality. I recently purchased a 24" widescreen monitor and a next-gen video card and I'm now playing Sam & Max in 1920x1200 widescreen resolution with 16x antialiasing and aniosotropic filtering turned on in the hardware. It literally looks like a completely new game, it's absolutely beautiful! Sometimes the lower resolutions and older video cards just don't do these games justice.
  • edited March 2008
    I'm running it at maxed out resolution too, but it would be nice if the game had a little extra here and there. Like the mentioned in my first post, reflections would be an obvious choice and you can turn it on and off to suit your PC.
  • FloFlo
    edited March 2008
    I don't think the games suffer from a lack of effects. Going to heavy on shaders would actually compete with the comic look.

I'd much rather see higher resolution textures and less compressed audio before any additional effects. Though that's unlikely to happen as both textures and audio have been compressed a lot to keep the downloads small, and Telltale probably isn't interested in supporting different versions. (I don't blame them)
  • edited March 2008
    Chris1 wrote: »
    I'm not expert, but I'd expect you'd need quite a powerful multi-processor machine, and would wind up with the game chugging along at one frame every five minutes.

Aw, don't be so modest. Something like that in realtime would be a piece of cake to run in realtime now days.
  • edited March 2008
    Flo wrote: »
    Going to heavy on shaders would actually compete with the comic look.

I wouldn't say that... it doesn't have a negative influence on the looks in the trailers. I'd even say it'd push the games more towards a "Pixar"-look.
  • FloFlo
    edited March 2008
    Effects are fine in moderation, but if you go heavy on shaders, with normal maps on every surface to simulate materials, the look changes completely.

As for a Pixar-esque look, I suppose that's a matter of taste. Pixar is trying for a peculiar type of realism, not as in accurately depicting reality, but in giving their characters and environments a look that makes people believe they could be real, like a puppet or a sculpture.

For what it's worth, I don't think that's the kind of look I'd want for Sam & Max, even if resources weren't an issue.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    kadji-kun wrote: »
    Aw, don't be so modest. Something like that in realtime would be a piece of cake to run in realtime now days.

Not a piece of cake compared to our current system requirements. The super soft character realtime shadows, and realtime full screen color grading aren't things that video cards were doing reliably at a reliable frame rate two years ago, which makes those system requirements extremely high for us. That said, as I always say, we are working on upping the awesomeness of our graphics system. As I always follow that up with, that doesn't mean you'll see it any time soon! :)

I'm not a graphics programmer and I'm not a game artist, but this is my general understanding of how this stuff works... It's not a simple matter of "turning on" graphical updates -- they do have to be written from the ground up to work with our tool, they have to be scalable in a way that doesn't make your game look like total rubbish on a lower-end system (see: Crysis looking worse than Far Cry does on a PC from 2 years ago), and you have to build all of the fancy new doodads in a way that the artists working on the game can actually control them. There's no such thing as a "make the rendering tech better" switch, and it's definitely not a matter of just "enabling" something which we've been holding back or something.

Also, even if you do have beautiful shadows and lighting, it's not going to look good if the artists can't manipulate them with ease. One of the big reasons we're able to make games so quickly is that our toolset, while it does have its problems due to being constantly in development, does allow the artists and writers to put good looking scenes together very very quickly. You can't just "turn on" realtime shadows and not expose any of the controls for how they work in a scene, or expect artists to light scenes via editing a config file or entering script commands in a console window, and still expect a good looking game every 4-5 weeks.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.