Voice change

edited April 2008 in Sam & Max
Telltale, you guys need a gag to explain why max's voice was different in episode 1. I know it's because of a different voice actor but a single joke about it could help explain why in the world of sam and max did that happen. Who is with me!

Comments

• edited March 2008
    A small note to the effect that the original voice actor had health related problems and could not continue with the role would be enough.

I know some TV shows often wrote the illnesses/pregnancies/deaths of their actors into their own scripts, but I don't see the need to do that - or the need to laugh about it for that matter.
  • edited March 2008
    Just incase you didn't know, they had to change voice actor because the original one fell ill, then they decided to stick with the new guy.

Bit late to be making jokes about Max's voice being different, and at first I didn't even notice the change!
  • edited March 2008
    'fell ill' makes it sound like he was on his deathbed or something :)
  • edited March 2008
    Sorry, didn't mean to make it seem so morbid. :p I'll use the good phrasing from Chris: "health related problems".
  • edited March 2008
    I was hoping in Episode 106 that they'd use the other Max voice for the Max Clones, but there's no real need for an "explanation." But I agree with Guybrush, the voice is similar enough that I'd say, within the game's world, there was never a "change." Although if they ever do a flashback to episode one, I'm guessing they might comment on the overall difference of the character voices, which would be somewhat jarring to compare the current voices to the Ep1 voices side-by-side, because even Sam's voice has become more natural as the actor grew into the role.
  • edited March 2008
    I noticed it right away going from Episode 101 to 102, but going through a second time just before Season 2 started, it really didn't stand out.

Sam's voice is definitely more what I imagined he'd sound like since 101. It seemed sort of bland the first time around, and he gradually grew more and more involved.
  • edited March 2008
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I was hoping in Episode 106 that they'd use the other Max voice for the Max Clones

I always secretly wished that one of the Max clones would be played by Nick Jameson, one by Robert Tinkler, and one by Andrew Chaikin. It'd never have happened, but it would have been incredibly awesome.
  • edited March 2008
    I'm guessing, Cyberlink, that those guys all voiced Max at one time or another? Hit the Road, the animated series and....the one from Episode 101?
  • edited March 2008
    I think it would have been funny if in 201 when Flint appeared he would have remarked on the duo sounding different than he remembered, referring to their ever-changing voices. That is, after all, a phenomenon that predates the Chaikin recasting.
  • edited March 2008
    When did Max's voice change? 201?? If so, I'm guilty of not noticing to be fair :confused:
  • edited March 2008
    In 101 he was voiced by Andrew Chaikin. In 102 and onward, William Kasten took over.
  • edited March 2008
    Maybe they might make a max clone episode which would contain everone who did max's voice
  • edited March 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    In 101 he was voiced by Andrew Chaikin. In 102 and onward, William Kasten took over.

i actualy think William Kasten does a better job at voicing Max
  • edited March 2008
    i'm inclined to agree, he's really settled in to the role.
  • edited March 2008
    splash1 wrote: »
    i actualy think William Kasten does a better job at voicing Max

Me too. At this point I'd say Kasten is my favorite of all the Max voices.
  • edited March 2008
    I agree, I think he's brought a sort of cheeky juvenile charm to Max's character which the other Maxes didn't quite have. Hit the Road/Freelance Police! Max was more violent and threatening, TV show Max was more insane and cartooney (which I love almost as much as the current personality) and 101's Max is like a mini-Sam, if you catch my drift.

Needless to say, all the Maxes are brilliant. :D
  • edited March 2008
    On the subject of voice actors, i'd just like to say that the voice of bosco is highly skilled. In season 1 he had to not only do the character, but do the character in a way that made him sound like he was doing another person. Now thats hard and if it was a television episode he probably would have won an emmy for doing that.
  • edited March 2008
    (he's also Jimmy Two-Teeth)
  • edited March 2008
    So Joey Camen does Bosco, Bosco with various accents (English, French, Russian, Half-Elf, Bosco's Mom), and Jimmy Two-Teeth, Mary and Timmy... any others I've missed?

I guess a lot of the other voice actors also play multiple roles as well... they all do a great job of not sounding too much like each other (even if sometimes they remind us of characters they've played in Bone or TV cartoon shows or whatever...)
  • edited April 2008
    Funny enough, Andrew Chaikin also did the voice for a few charters in Lucas arts video games(such as "Fixer" in Republic commando)
  • edited April 2008
    I admit, I didn't notice a change. I'm a bad fan. ;)

That said; perhaps it is because I am so smitten by Sam's voice.
  • edited April 2008
    Doing lots of voices is good, but i still say that changing the voice of a voice your putting is a million times harder.
  • edited April 2008
    I didn't really noticed...but it happenend in the 2nd episode, and their voices sound alike, so it doesn't really matter I guess...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.