Why are you punishing Steam users?

edited July 2013 in Game Support
Yeah, hi, I've been having a problem with The Walking Dead on my steam account, apparently my save files are meaningless since the game doesn't want to load my save file onto episode 3, and does even show other games that I've started. And yes, I've tried switching props and etc. But that shouldn't be MY job, why do I have to search stuff online to fix this? I understand that's kind of rude, but it's THEIR game, I spent the last 8 hours playing the game just to have my save file vanish, and then when I try the whole "move props and etc" it doesn't work, what's even worse is that I try and start a new game from episode 3 and I get nothing but a blank screen, this is outrageous.

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Yep, and another customer they'll ignore. They don't care. The problem has been there ever since the very first episode and we still don't have a fix. Because... they don't care. As long as they're getting money they JUST DON'T CARE. It's been over a year folks and you can't make your game work reasonably? I've had every single episode screw up on me and when I went over to 400 Days (i didn't even uninstall), surprise, surprise. I only imagined completing the game and unfortunately only got up to episode 3.

My bad.

Funny thing is that my game tells me that my last save was on the 11th of October 2012, yet when I go into the directory, there are at least a dozen saves following it going up to 17th of November 2012.

It really is outrageous, considering the incredibly reasonable amount of time they've had to implement a patch. Nothing but utter contempt for this company's ethics. We only have ourselves to blame for continually giving money to these people, though.
  • edited July 2013
    They are also ignore supporting customers that actual by from their crappy website.
    Still no solution. only a standard automated response on mail.
  • MattPMattP ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff
    edited July 2013
    This usually occurs if you have more than one copy of prefs.prop. You can try running the support tool one of our moderators put together (found here) to determine if and where the duplicate file exists.
  • edited July 2013
    Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default and delete the prefs.prop file. That should fix it.

But seriously TellTale... it's been a year, just fix it yourself already. I've had to do this every time I installed a new episode and just now once more with the 400 days dlc. I better not have to do it with every episode of Season 2 too.
  • edited July 2013
    Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default and delete the prefs.prop file. That should fix it.

But seriously TellTale... it's been a year, just fix it yourself already. I've had to do this every time I installed a new episode and just now once more with the 400 days dlc. I better not have to do it with every episode of Season 2 too.

I've hit exactly the same issue on OS X.

Same solution fixes it on the Mac, but the spurious file is located here:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/prefs.prop

Delete that file and everything should be good to go again. Or at least it was for me.

Note that that's a hidden folder, so you'll need to use the terminal to delete the file.
  • edited July 2013
    I never had a problem with my saves (PC-Steam) until I tried to play The 400 Days and found that my save rolled back 2 months like I had never played chapters 4 and 5. I assume there's no way to get that back. Major bummer. Ran that support tool thing, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    TheLeon wrote: »
    I never had a problem with my saves (PC-Steam) until I tried to play The 400 Days and found that my save rolled back 2 months like I had never played chapters 4 and 5. I assume there's no way to get that back. Major bummer. Ran that support tool thing, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Please try renaming the prefs.prop in
    E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default
    to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it.
  • edited July 2013
    That seems to have fixed it! Thanks!

Is there anything I need to do to prevent this from happening again?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Sadly I don't know how to prevent it. That's something TTG needs to fix in the game.
    You should be fine for now, and if it happens again, it should be as easy to fix.
This discussion has been closed.