Sam and Max...on a Mac?!

edited March 2008 in Sam & Max
I have been working with Codeweavers in an attempt to get Sam and Max fully working on the new (unreleased) version of their Crossover product which uses the some of the same technology that EA has been using to port their games to Mac OS X. After quite a bit of tweaking and a crack (ugh), I have episodes 201-203 fully working with a minor graphical glitch. Sadly there is no way around the crack for season 2 as WINE does not yet support the copy protection that Telltale uses. On the plus side, the disc version of Season 1 works fully (install->run). :)

I'm not sure what is causing the shader glitch that makes it look like the characters are wrapped in saran wrap. Every character has it except for Sam and Max themselves. There are a few objects such as the fire hydrant on the street that have it too. I've been digging into the DirectX translation code without much luck. Is there any command line switch to load the game without this shader activated? It happens in both seasons.

Anyway, enough babbling. Enjoy!

sm202mac.jpg

sm202mac_shaderproblem.jpg

sm101mac.jpg

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Your making me very happy! Unfortunately, I dunno how I could help you with that "shiny" problem. All I can say is good luck... and thank you!:)
  • edited March 2008
    The new episodes actually work great in the Linux build of Wine. Just wait a bit for whatever fixes were made to be branched over to the Mac build being used by Codeweavers. (You may want to try installing Internet Explorer or the Gecko engine that Wine installs automatically if you can)
  • edited March 2008
    is this PPC workable, or just another of those lame intel only bits?
  • edited March 2008
    I guess you could call it Sam and Macs! AHUAHUAHUAHIEHUAHIEHUAHAUHI

Come on, you know that was comedy gold.

Incidentally, there's something... Right about Bosco being wrapped in cling film. He's got to try that one eventually...
  • edited March 2008
    delimew wrote: »
    is this PPC workable, or just another of those lame intel only bits?

Crossover is Intel-only.
  • edited March 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    Crossover is Intel-only.

There is a port of Wine for PPC and I got it to work on my laptop at one point. I think Minesweeper ran (though incredibly slowly).
  • edited March 2008
    The same glowing effect happens when I run the game in VMWare Fusion with DirectX 9 support.

--Erwin
  • edited March 2008
    Should clarify, you have to use a PPC to x86 emulator for this version of Wine to work. That is why it is so slow. I tried both qemu and bochs.
    irsimon wrote: »
    There is a port of Wine for PPC and I got it to work on my laptop at one point. I think Minesweeper ran (though incredibly slowly).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.