[TWD] Keeps forgetting my saves

edited July 2013 in Game Support
I've completed Season 1 and completed 400 Days last night. When I decided to replay it today I found that the game thinks I'm back to not having finished episode 5; I get 'play' options for both EP5 and 400 days, not 'replay'.

When I look in the Telltale folder on my PC I can clearly see a file called 'save_75.save' which was created yesterday when I played 400 Days.

What's going on? If I click play on 400 Days it asks if I want to randomise my play data!

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Please follow the instructions to run the Support Tool and attach the resulting "support_data_pc.zip" to your next reply in this thread.
  • edited July 2013
    So I've been having the same problem as this guy since when I bought the DLC a couple days ago. Want me to do what you just told him?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Stitches wrote: »
    So I've been having the same problem as this guy since when I bought the DLC a couple days ago. Want me to do what you just told him?

Yes please.
  • edited July 2013
    I'm a little uncomfortable about uploading files here that anyone could download. I've sent an email with the zip to the support address. No response as yet.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    I don't have access to the support E-Mails, and since it's weekend it'll probably take a while to get a response.
    But if i had to guess, it's probably a prefs.prop issue. With the data i could tell you exactly where to look, but you can look through the install folder (NOT the savegame folder), if you find a prefs.prop in any of its subfolders. If so, rename it to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it.
  • edited July 2013
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Yes please.

There we go, sorry that took so long. Work is eating my life right now.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    There we go, sorry that took so long. Work is eating my life right now.

I don't see anything wrong in your files, so sadly i don't have a suggestion how to fix it.
    The last save is from 12/22/2012 though, which is odd if you 've already finished 400 days.
  • edited July 2013
    I don't see anything wrong in your files, so sadly i don't have a suggestion how to fix it.
    The last save is from 12/22/2012 though, which is odd if you 've already finished 400 days.

This is a mistake on my end. I forgot to clarify that I have NOT finished (or even started, for that matter) 400 Days. Does that help at all? I'm sorry for the miscommunication. I finished Season 1 and downloaded 400 Days. As a side note, I started playing Season 1 again in Save File 3 (that's the save file that appears from the Main Menu in-game) if that changes anything.

I tried checking the prefs.prop folder couldn't seem to find the install folder. Where should I be looking?

Also, I wish there was a way I could type something so you would know I'm being sincere and not sarcastic :/
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    I tried checking the prefs.prop folder couldn't seem to find the install folder. Where should I be looking?

There's no extra prefs.prop in your install folder. I already checked that in the support tool data. Sadly that's the reason why I have no idea how i could fix your savegame issue, because there's nothing to work with.

Something appears odd though. If you started the game recently your prefs.prop should show a recent date.
    Do you run the game in any compatibility mode?
  • edited July 2013
    There's no extra prefs.prop in your install folder. I already checked that in the support tool data. Sadly that's the reason why I have no idea how i could fix your savegame issue, because there's nothing to work with.

Something appears odd though. If you started the game recently your prefs.prop should show a recent date.
    Do you run the game in any compatibility mode?

Yes! I was having the "WalkingDead101.exe has stopped working" problem so I was running it in the Windows 98/Windows Me compatibility mode.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Yes! I was having the "WalkingDead101.exe has stopped working" problem so I was running it in the Windows 98/Windows Me compatibility mode.

These crashes are actually often caused by steam running in compatibility mode for unknown reasons.

Please check the properties of the Steam.exe, your Steam icons, and the games .exe files, and disable any compatibility mode settings.
    Sometimes compatibility mode is checked, but is grayed out. Then you have to click on "Change settings for all users" at the bottom to disable the checkbox.
    Afterwards try if the game works. If so, you should also have access to your previous saves again.
  • edited July 2013
    These crashes are actually often caused by steam running in compatibility mode for unknown reasons.

Please check the properties of the Steam.exe, your Steam icons, and the games .exe files, and disable any compatibility mode settings.
    Sometimes compatibility mode is checked, but is grayed out. Then you have to click on "Change settings for all users" at the bottom to disable the checkbox.
    Afterwards try if the game works. If so, you should also have access to your previous saves again.

Success! Thank you based DjNDB!
This discussion has been closed.