S&M S2E3&4 (GameTap) - Fullscreen removes all video

edited March 2008 in Game Support
Hey all, I'm having issues with Sam and Max as detailed below. Any help would be appreciated.

Problem:
So I'm running Sam and Max Season 2 Episodes 3 and 4 on my new Vista system (specs below) via GameTap for the first time. I start up Episode 3 and get the little "create your settings" song and dance with the game running in windowed mode. Audio is fine, video is dandy, everything running well. Then I select the "full screen" option and the window becomes completely white. Audio still goes on but video is nonexistent.

I exit out of the game by right-clicking on the program in the taskbar and try restarting the game; white screen of blankness with audio from what I assume is the episode's beginning. I can't change the settings back to windowed mode because I can't see anything. Rather frustrating.

Attempted Solutions:
My first thought was to contact GameTap customer support. With them I updated my video card drivers (nVidia) to the latest version, updated DirextX to the March build, and deleted and reinstalled the games and game settings through the GameTap application.

Afterwards I uninstalled GameTap as a whole and then reinstalled the GameTap application hoping this would remove the saved preferences for Sam and Max. Alas, that didn't work. The games still remember what my settings were and thus are a blank white screen.

Yes, I Read The Faq:

I tried finding the prefs.prop file but, unfortunately, it seems to not exist on my computer. Perhaps it's called something different when the game is installed via GameTap? I also tried the games with 16- and 32-bit colors but neither did anything noticeable.

Final Comments:

Any information would be appreciated. The tech support at GameTap wasn't privy to where the settings were saved, which is the only thing I can think of to fix this now. I'm fine with running it in windowed mode, at least I'll get to play the games that way. I just can't change it without seeing what I'm doing. Kinda a catch-22

Thank you for your time.

System Information as stolen from Steam:
Processor Information:
Vendor: GenuineIntel
Speed: 2393 Mhz
4 logical processors
4 physical processors
HyperThreading: Unsupported
RDTSC: Supported
CMOV: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE: Supported
SSE2: Supported
3DNOW: Unsupported

Windows Version:
Windows Vista (32 bit)
NTFS: Supported

Video Card:
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
DirectX Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.11.6925
DirectX Driver Version: 7.15.11.6925
Driver Date: 12 Dec 2007
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Video Cards: 1
Primary Display Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Desktop Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Primary Display Type: DFP
Primary VRAM: 512 MB

Sound card:
Audio device: Speakers / Headphones (SigmaTel

Memory:
RAM: 3069 Mb

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Sounds like maybe the resolution isn't supported by your monitor? You can hit Alt-Enter to exit fullscreen mode if nothing else.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, the prefs.prop is hidden behind the mysterious x: drive in Gametap, so you can't access it. Nevertheless, tabacco's solution should fix you up just fine.
  • edited March 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    Sounds like maybe the resolution isn't supported by your monitor? You can hit Alt-Enter to exit fullscreen mode if nothing else.

Oh. Well that was relatively painless as a fix. Still weird that it has hissy fits when it goes fullscreen, it worked fine at the same resolution back on my old XP computer.

Ah well, it works now! Thanks. :)
This discussion has been closed.