Sam & Max 204: No voices

edited March 2008 in Game Support
Episode 204 was running fine on my machine (Vista ultimate) until I alt+tabbed out of the game. Upon tabbing back in, the music would still play but the voices didn't.

Figured this was just a temporary screw-up, but restarting the game didn't fix it. So, I uninstalled (complete wipe including saved games/preferences), rebooted, and reinstalled...still the same problem.

(Just a thought: I know for a fact something from 204 is still hanging around after I uninstall, because it doesn't ask me to log in to validate when I reinstall.)

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    Well the thing that is still hanging around should just be your Season 2 login information in the registry. It is shared among all Season 2 games, but definitely shouldn't have anything to do with sound.

Did you try going into the options menu and fiddling with the voice levels? I doubt they got turned off somehow, but I'm thinking sliding them around might force it to restore.

Failing that, I think the next step is to make sure your DirectX and sound card drivers are up to date.

And if THAT doesn't work, well then we can start fiddling with the registry.
  • edited March 2008
    Alt-Tabbing shouldn't do that, but I agree with Will. First adjust the volume, than try updating sound drivers, than try fiddling with the registry (CAREFULLY! We all know one small false change to the registry will screw up your computer badly).
  • edited March 2008
    Finally figured out the problem: My webcam and sound card do not seem to get along well together currently. Unplugging the webcam solved the problem for now, I guess I will have to take a closer look at the drivers and associated programs to figure out the issue. Sorry about the hassle, folks.
  • SegSeg
    edited March 2008
    Is there a speaker and/or headphone jack with your webcam?

I'd venture to guess that when your webcam is plugged in, that speaker takes priority over your regular speakers. So the sound from the game is sent to the webcam's speakers rather than your normal speakers.
This discussion has been closed.