A question regarding the plot in 204, could somebody help me?

bai_ganyobai_ganyo Banned
edited March 2008 in Sam & Max
Why does the scanner print out 1 birthday per person and why exactly the one you get? Is there some logical explanation? At least, as I was playing it, I didn't get it.

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Probably no other reason than for the required locations for the puzzles to be solved... After all, Superball does say he's visited by the Mariachi in Sep 2008, but
    you have to get him to visit Superball in 1963 as well
    to complete a puzzle.

What's interesting is that Grandpa Stinky can't be scanned... so does he even have a birthday?
  • edited March 2008
    Molokov wrote: »
    What's interesting is that Grandpa Stinky can't be scanned... so does he even have a birthday?

My guess is that the scanner didn't work on him, because he doesn't have a soul. (Sold it to the devil).
  • mremre
    edited March 2008
    Mario wrote: »
    My guess is that the scanner didn't work on him, because he doesn't have a soul. (Sold it to the devil).

Sounds quite reasonable. Though when I first played the episode, I thought it was a pun on Old Stinky's love life. You know, they had just talked about what bad luck Stinky has had with the ladies, and then we find that the carbon dater doesn't work on him.

(Am I overthinking these things? ;))
  • edited March 2008
    I think they just didn't want to make things anymore complicated by adding stinky to the mix. Easier to just say it didn't work. Or
    he's what hatched from the egg
    , that'd explain it I guess, because then he wouldn't have a birth date.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    Who else can't you get a timecard from?
  • edited March 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    Featherly and the Mariachis. Havent' checked the Moai Heads yet. I liked the Mariachi's excuse about how it is their curse never to have a birthday of their own.
    :D

To answer the question, if you talk to the Mariachis enough, you will find out that the date is suppose to be a special day, not just their birthday. In the case of the Soda Poppers, that date was the day their careers starting to climb back up. Bosco was
    the first Test-Tube baby
    , which was a special day in that respect. Ms. Bosco's was the trip to the White House.

From that information, I just assumed that they went on those days as a way of making the special days more special.
  • edited March 2008
    Jake wrote: »

The
    Mariachis
    and
    Featherly
  • edited March 2008
    This confused me a bit as well. I'm still not sure about Grandpa Stinky. I took it as a reference to his untimely death, but there's not really a basis for that explanation.
  • edited March 2008
    The
    Mariachis
    and
    Featherly

and
    Grandpa Stinky
  • edited March 2008
    well.. you do get a time card from featherly, buts its just another blank one
  • edited March 2008
    splash1 wrote: »
    and
    Grandpa Stinky

I figured since that is who was originally being asked about I didn't need to mention him again.
  • edited March 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    Featherly and the Mariachis. Havent' checked the Moai Heads yet. I liked the Mariachi's excuse about how it is their curse never to have a birthday of their own.
    :D

To answer the question, if you talk to the Mariachis enough, you will find out that the date is suppose to be a special day, not just their birthday. In the case of the Soda Poppers, that date was the day their careers starting to climb back up. Bosco was
    the first Test-Tube baby
    , which was a special day in that respect. Ms. Bosco's was the trip to the White House.

From that information, I just assumed that they went on those days as a way of making the special days more special.

I remember it being a combo of it being both their birthday and a special day in their lives. I could be wrong tho.
  • bai_ganyobai_ganyo Banned
    edited March 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    To answer the question, if you talk to the Mariachis enough, you will find out that the date is suppose to be a special day, not just their birthday.

Thanks, that explains it. So Max's birthday ought to be a special day too. Since the two haven't appeared yet, I guess it will occur in 205 or 301 (or further on, depends on, when they will be back at the office), maybe his special birthday will be in hell and the mariachis will play him a jolly tune.

And I also think, Stinky sold his soul to, or even is the devil (or it's unexplainable and not to be questioned EVER AGAIN)

Don't forget, that Sam's still carrying Mr. Featherly around, maybe the mystery to Mr. Featherly's birthday is yet to be solved.
  • edited March 2008
    Max's birthday was the one in Stinky's where they were playing w/ Bluster Blaster.
  • edited March 2008
    I figured since that is who was originally being asked about I didn't need to mention him again.

ah ha
  • edited March 2008
    bai_ganyo wrote: »
    Thanks, that explains it. So Max's birthday ought to be a special day too. Since the two haven't appeared yet, I guess it will occur in 205 or 301 (or further on, depends on, when they will be back at the office), maybe his special birthday will be in hell and the mariachis will play him a jolly tune.
    Talk to the characters in each time period
    before you summon Pedro to sing to Superball in 1963
    . You'll learn thatn one of T-H-E-M was already there, which means Max already got his birthday song, as did Ms. Bosco, Sam, and Superball in 2008.

Given what happened in 203 with the Jurgen's Monster, Bosco had his song
    the moment he popped out of the Baby Maker
  • bai_ganyobai_ganyo Banned
    edited March 2008
    But if T-H-E-M only appear on "special" birthdays, they shoudn't appear on Superballs "made" birthday, shoud they?
    I know, this is pedantic, but we're all nerdy pc adventure assholes after all.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2008
    I'm not one of the designers so I could be totally off base, but I believe the Mariachis mention that they go to all birthdays, but do it in such a way that you completely forget about it until next year. As for the Birthdater, they go to all birthdays but not necessarily in chronological order, so most likely it is selecting the next birthday that they need to sing.
  • edited March 2008
    Which falls in nicely to the whole "you justed miss T-H-E-M" lines you can hear during the second act of the came.
  • edited March 2008
    bai_ganyo wrote: »
    Thanks, that explains it. So Max's birthday ought to be a special day too.

Max's birthday was on a pomp night, the night that he had the opportunity to loose his white rabbitty fur.
  • edited March 2008
    what's a pomp again??
  • edited March 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    what's a pomp again??

Something to do with Circumstance. You wear a hat that looks like a table top with a stripper's lost nipple tassle haing from it, that's all I know.
  • edited March 2008
    uhhh ewwww
Sign in to comment in this discussion.