Episode 202 - Sound goes berserk

edited April 2008 in Game Support
I've seen similar problems whilst searching the forums, but nothing conclusive.

I've been able to run the entirety of season 1 and episode 201 without any hitches, but with 202 I'm experiencing a rather nasty sound problem.

Firstly, near the fountain of youth in the first Rapa-Nui screen, I get some slight crackling as I approach it. I assume it's the splashing sound effect that creates it, since it disappears when I turn down the SE volume.

Secondly, the bigger problem lies in the Tiny Tiki area, however. Once every minute or so, I get some very loud static feedback that lasts around 30 seconds. Again, it's probably caused by the waves splashing in the background, since I can make it go away by turning off the sound effects.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't happen at any other point in the entire episode, nor in any of the others, which is why it's so weird.

I use:

-Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
-Vista 32
-5.1 speaker system

I have downloaded the latest drivers, I have the newest DirectX, I have updated every conceivable part of my hardware, etc. I have tried switching off all 3D effects (EAX, EQ, Crystalizer, CMSS-3D), I have tried switching to a 2 speaker configuration, I've tried re-wiring my speakers, I've even tried using the onboard sound chip as my primary sound device. Nothing works, which leads me to believe it's either a problem with some other part of my hardware, or my speakers, but since I've never experienced it before I'm at a loss.

As I said, I can just turn off the sound effects, but if there's a solution I wouldn't mind finding it :)

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    Actually, I think this problem might be more attributed to a faulty download/installation. I would start by redownloading and reinstalling the game.
  • edited April 2008
    That... seems to have worked. Dear God, I can't believe it was that simple. Oh well, thanks anyway, and keep up the good work icon_up.gif
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    If it makes you feel any better, I went through this exact same problem and followed the exact same steps as you did three months ago on a different support ticket. I'm lucky there aren't keyboard shaped dents on my forehead after that.
This discussion has been closed.