Please to make harder, k plz thx.

RazRaz
edited April 2008 in Sam & Max
Just spent my friday and saturday playing through the monkey island series of games...

Ever tried Monkey Island 3 (curse) on Mega Monkey mode? It's eleventy billion more times hardererer than Sam N Max (TellTale Style) ... Why is that?

I know that TellTale only has a fairly finite amount of time to develop their game, and despite time constraints come up with a fairly kick ass product that I love and support - BUT! ... It's too easy! 90% of the time, I can complete an episode in a few hours playing through all the scenarios instead of hurrying through and not trying everything (for comic relief etc)...

If I were to try every conceivable piece of conversation in Monkey Island (any of them) the game would take days to complete! ...

Is there a chance that TellTale will do another resurrection of older LucasArts games (zak, dott(manic mansion?), indy, monkey, etc?) But this time take all the time needed to make a nice, long, replayable, and most importantly: Very Difficult and challenging game?

*sigh* I miss the old days... Why o why must lucasarts suck so bad these days?! :(

Only a few more days till I get to play 205! Yay! :D

- R

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Raz wrote: »
    Ever tried Monkey Island 3 (curse) on Mega Monkey mode? It's eleventy billion more times hardererer than Sam N Max (TellTale Style) ... Why is that?
    - R
    it is easy
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    A few things. Just my personal opinion here, so the opinion of other people at TTG will surely be different!

Obviously, if you're making a game like Curse of Monkey island, with potentially 10-20 times as many environments as a single Telltale episode*, you will have more complexity there. Curse of Monkey Island probably has ... I have no idea... somewhere between fifty and a hundred rooms to explore, many of them out of order, and the biggest Sam & Max episode has maybe approaching fifteen environments. So, the scope of an episode is always going to be smaller ... but that's part of the point -- it's an episode.

The other, probably more important issue (at least to me, which technically means nothing since I am a graphic designer and not a game design director) is that people actually finish shorter simpler games, and at Telltale actually experiencing the story and the world is more important than emerging from battle against some puzzle mechanic or another. I love old graphic adventure games -- I started samandmax.net in high school, and helped run Mixnmojo for a period of years -- but it took me about six years to finally actually play Sam & Max Hit the Road all the way through, and I didn't ever actually finish Grim Fandango until about 2004 (I wonder how many people just uninstall the game when they're about half way through Rubacava in year 2?). I've never seen the middle 2/5 of Escape from Monkey Island -- I got stuck a little over a third in and put the game down. My brother eventually finished it and I sat in to watch the last chapter of the game, but I've never actually completed that game on my own.

Many of my friends, even the self-professed adoring fans of these games, haven't actually, for one reason or another, seen the end of many of "The Classics" of the adventure game world. Many of these same people had stopped playing adventure games for that (and many other) reasons years ago, but have picked up the Sam & Max episodes and are really enjoying them. And, since they're split up into easily digestible chunks, they're actually getting to experience the full story that the writers and designers spent so long crafting.

* If you count all the environments in a Telltale season it probably gets far closer to a classic traditional-length adventure. For instance, Season Two contains probably upwards of forty-fifty rooms, which is pretty decent.
  • edited April 2008
    true dat
  • edited April 2008
    By and large, I'm OK with the difficulty of the games. The first three episodes are very easy, for obvious and understandable reasons. Since about episode 106, the puzzles are tougher without being frustrating. I especially like the difficulty of 202, which has a few hard nuts to crack. In my opinion, 204 is the only episode in which the balance is off. That one is too easy. While playing, I felt like I was taken by the hand and dragged to the finish.

The size of the episodes probably makes it hard to get the balance right. With so few locations, it's not easy to create puzzles that are at the same time challenging and logical. Maybe Sam & Max should carry over more inventory items from past episodes?
  • edited April 2008
    My opinion of the sam and max episodes and theyre difficulty is simply: dont you ever change, baby.
  • edited April 2008
    Agreed. These aren't full length like Hit the Road or Day of the Tentacle.
  • edited April 2008
    I agree with Jake on this issue. And I'm already 3 episodes behind on Season 2. :(
  • edited April 2008
    They can't please everybody. People have already started complaining about the puzzles being too hard. That doesn't mean you can't complain, but just don't expect anything to happen.
  • Same #hit different wrapping.

But always the discussion whether the bucket should be red or blue. You can never please the crowd, but the most important is the crowd getting a bucket!

I still think that you guys are doing the best job for the adventure genre than anyone else in these hard times :)

But if I should put something in the different bucket, how about trying an episode in 2D? Just like the good old days?

Regards
    Rubberchickenwithapulley
  • edited April 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    The other, probably more important issue (at least to me, which technically means nothing since I am a graphic designer and not a game design director) is that people actually finish shorter simpler games.
    [..]
    Many of my friends, even the self-professed adoring fans of these games, haven't actually, for one reason or another, seen the end of many of "The Classics" of the adventure game world.
    I completely agree! It's much more rewarding to actually finish a game (even if it is on the easy side) than to get stuck halfway through. I definitely appreciate the decisions that Telltale has made in this regard.

Additionally, I think the hints mode in season 2 helps players solve puzzles on their own, without having to resort to way too obvious solutions. It's actually pretty weird that almost none of the other games include such a mode. Subtle hints in-game are much more fun than looking up a walkthrough on the internet.

When it comes to classics, I've used the hints on the World of Monkey Island website at some occasions (they have really nice incremental hints, that point you in the right direction without completely spoiling the puzzles). Fortunately I was able to finish Grim Fandango myself, as the story (especially in the end) is great! It's really sad when such epic tales are left unsung because of a stupid puzzle.
    Regards
    Rubberchickenwithapulley
    Couldn't add inthemiddle could you?:D
  • edited April 2008
    in my opinion, it really don't matter how hard the episodes are.. just as long as there is a logical progression of difficulty while playing the game... have each act of each game be harder than the last, and likewise with each episode.. have each episode be harder than the last

but i think where the episodes are right now is a nice difficulty level, most puzzles go rather smoothly, with one or 2 challenges in each episode that really make you wander around for a while and think, (if the whole game were like that, it would drive most people insane-er)... another added bonus is how sometimes you are not even aware that something is a puzzle

the current story structure of the episodes is perfect as well... a teaser and 3 acts, with about 9 puzzle objectives spread across the episode

my only request, is i would like to see more progression of sam and max's world in each episode, and to see more things changing as we play the episode as the result or our actions... take "Abe Lincoln must die", in the episode we see multiple changes, including sybil changing jobs midway through the episode, the various stages of the political situation, and how it is affecting everyone on the street, etc...

with the way the episodes are now, we need to wait for the next episode to see the repercussions of sam and max's actions... this removes a lot of the spontaneity from the games (i think it would be cool to add a free roaming section at the end of each episode so they can wander around after their case and take in the destruction)

and i hope that they keep up and give us more ramdom character ramblings (like featherly, and bosco in 204)
  • edited April 2008
    Splinter Cell: Double Agent is an example of a game that has a puzzle that is just too hard. In one of the last missions, you have to decrypt an e-mail. There's a cube on the screen with each side divided into 4 boxes (which makes 24 boxes in total), and you have 8 different binary numbers available. You must place numbers into the boxes in such a way that no numbers repeat in a horizontal row around the cube, a vertical row around the cube, or on opposite sides of the cube.

It's just as confusing as it sounds. And, the level has a time limit. I took time on my lunch break at work to try to work it out with a pencil and paper. I devoted about an hour more to it at home. I still couldn't do it. I looked it up on GameFAQs and even then it was really hard, because the FAQ authors couldn't really clearly convey the 3-dimensional solution.

The worst part is that this puzzle requires a skill set completely unrelated to any of the other gameplay. It's a stealth action game, not a mathematical puzzle-solving game. I'd imagine that people who are naturally less computer/mathematically inclined than I am would find it pretty much impossible.
  • edited April 2008
    Even with that puzzle I still loved that game. That just goes to show that my post has no purpose. HAHA
  • edited April 2008
    Raz wrote: »
    I know that TellTale only has a fairly finite amount of time to develop their game, and despite time constraints come up with a fairly kick ass product that I love and support - BUT! ... It's too easy!

I reckon the games' difficulty level has less to do time constraints than it does with a conscious intent. I can't imagine insanely difficult puzzles would be harder to make (relative to logical puzzles, anyway). It's probably all too easy to design a puzzle involving a golf ball retriever, a glob of oil, and a mummified hand, since you don't have to offer the player any explanation as to why it should work. But then, I've never designed an adventure game.
  • edited April 2008
    You have never designed an adventure game? Why the hell not, its fun. Everyone should do it at least once.
  • edited April 2008
    oooh, i did that once..it was still the type-stuff kinda game and roughly had two locations and three items. it was totally awesome...
  • edited April 2008
    Mario wrote: »
    By and large, I'm OK with the difficulty of the games. The first three episodes are very easy, for obvious and understandable reasons. Since about episode 106, the puzzles are tougher without being frustrating. I especially like the difficulty of 202, which has a few hard nuts to crack. In my opinion, 204 is the only episode in which the balance is off. That one is too easy. While playing, I felt like I was taken by the hand and dragged to the finish.

The size of the episodes probably makes it hard to get the balance right. With so few locations, it's not easy to create puzzles that are at the same time challenging and logical. Maybe Sam & Max should carry over more inventory items from past episodes?

Haha, 204 was for me one of the unbalanced as well, but it was way too hard for me. So I guess, it's just something like personal view, that makes such Episodes too hard or too easy...
  • edited April 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    oooh, i did that once..it was still the type-stuff kinda game and roughly had two locations and three items. it was totally awesome...

Text adventure? Those are a LOT of fun to make.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    Splinter Cell: Double Agent is an example of a game that has a puzzle that is just too hard. In one of the last missions, you have to decrypt an e-mail. There's a cube on the screen with each side divided into 4 boxes (which makes 24 boxes in total), and you have 8 different binary numbers available. You must place numbers into the boxes in such a way that no numbers repeat in a horizontal row around the cube, a vertical row around the cube, or on opposite sides of the cube.

It's just as confusing as it sounds. And, the level has a time limit. I took time on my lunch break at work to try to work it out with a pencil and paper. I devoted about an hour more to it at home. I still couldn't do it. I looked it up on GameFAQs and even then it was really hard, because the FAQ authors couldn't really clearly convey the 3-dimensional solution.

The worst part is that this puzzle requires a skill set completely unrelated to any of the other gameplay. It's a stealth action game, not a mathematical puzzle-solving game. I'd imagine that people who are naturally less computer/mathematically inclined than I am would find it pretty much impossible.

man... i had to look that up too. and even printed out someones graphical attempt to show you how to do it. Even with the illustrations i had trouble. wat a bitch puzzle...
  • edited April 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    Many of my friends, even the self-professed adoring fans of these games, haven't actually, for one reason or another, seen the end of many of "The Classics" of the adventure game world.

"The Classics" are some of the most time consuming one. Mostly because of the need to finish it without help and the complexity of the puzzles. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy complex puzzles. However, many a time, I have gotten to the point here I say "[expletive deleted] this game!" and a few years later I'll go back to it. I know thats what I did for The Dig and Grim Fandango, two games I still haven't finished.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, when it comes to the difficulty of the Episodic Sam & Max. If it isn't broke, there is no reason to fix it. Many people are happy with the product as it is, while many say its too easy or too hard. If it is tweaked to accommodate those who think its too easy or too hard, those who think the opposite will just complain.
  • edited April 2008
    you guys should all be ashamed of yourselves...leaving an innocent adventure game unfinished and then cruely deleting it. ;)

the difficulty of s&m episodes is fine however...you will always have the hardcore adventure gamers begging for more and the occasional gamers for less difficulty. if the amount of complaints is equal you're on the right track..
  • edited April 2008
    I think the difficulty on the Sam and Max games is just about right. I've played the Monkey Island series too, but haven't finished number 4 (Escape from Monkey Island). The bit where you had to fight and beat the monkeys in order to progress was one step too far for me! Very frustrating. I'm glad to say I've never been frustrated with a S and M game yet. Hope I haven't jinxed myself by writing that! :D
  • edited April 2008
    These Sam & Max episodes are on the easy side of adventure gaming. The puzzles have gotten harder this season, but the first season was a complete breeze. The only thing I got stuck on was the puzzle that involved firing the mini-cannon in Bosco's store. Season 2 stumped me a little more often and made me stop and think. I found the original Sam & Max to be insanely hard at the end. I would never ever have thought to reach into the huge ball of yarn. That drove me insane. It would be impossible to reach into a tightly wound ball of yarn and pull out an object in real life, so it did not occur to me in the game.

I mentioned this in my review for 205, and I know it's fantasy land thinking, but I wish they could merge an entire season together into one game. Rework it, add scenes, add puzzles but make one seamless game out of the season. With the mixing of locations and objects from all the chapters, there would be a better chance for the writers to create indepth puzzles.

It would be easier with 203, 204 and 205 because they all lead right into each other (all future episodes should have cliffhanger endings), but a "special edition" type game a couple years down the line when there some time in the production schedule would be wonderful. Like someone mentioned, people don't finish long games, so I guess these bite size pieces are more managable, but I wouldn't rest while a game remained unfinished. I would play the old Infocom text games and those took a LOT of patience and perseverance. I would think about them all day at school and write out solutions and then go home and try them. That's real gaming. Being able to get the answer on the internet now is too tempting and takes away from the fun. I don't blame anyone, why twist your brain into knots if the answer is a click away? It's also a good reason to make the "long" version of a season because people can choose to run over for a walkthrough or go it alone, so there's no reason to leave a game unfinished.
  • edited April 2008
    Just remember: Adventure games arent hugely popular anymore. Now when people make an adventure game, people dont expect hardcore adventure gamers so much, because there arent enough coming out to make that kind of gamer. They have to pander more to the noobs than the 1337.
  • edited April 2008
    I recall there used to be a text adventure construction kit on the c64, i made a really short one which involved hang-gliding off a cliff (to test one-way directions).

Can I call myself a game designer now?
  • edited April 2008
    You have never designed an adventure game? Why the hell not, its fun. Everyone should do it at least once.
    You heard him.Everyone should click here and start creating.
  • edited April 2008
    you know what I find funny? I find sam and max hard and Curse of monkey island easy 8D
  • edited April 2008
    I felt downright bipolar playing Hit The Road - one minute I'd be giggling madly at the snappy dialogue and the next I'd be tearing out my hair over how to bribe the bouncer. Honestly I have so little patience that I'd never beat the game without a walkthrough - and this is why I'm not a hardcore gamer.
    I'm ashamed to say I haven't played Curse of Monkey Island. My parents vouched for "edutaining" PC games during my childhood and I missed out on a lot. I plan to buy it once I've played through What's New Beelzebub and some of my hysteria over the upcoming H*R and S&M seasons has died down.
  • edited April 2008
    nhaingen wrote: »
    I felt downright bipolar playing Hit The Road - one minute I'd be giggling madly at the snappy dialogue and the next I'd be tearing out my hair over how to bribe the bouncer. Honestly I have so little patience that I'd never beat the game without a walkthrough - and this is why I'm not a hardcore gamer.
    I'm ashamed to say I haven't played Curse of Monkey Island. My parents vouched for "edutaining" PC games during my childhood and I missed out on a lot. I plan to buy it once I've played through What's New Beelzebub and some of my hysteria over the upcoming H*R and S&M seasons has died down.

aww thats a shame, my dad would sit me down when I was 3 and watch in disbelief as I played MI1 8D I honestly think it is educational I became more logical and I learnt to read ealier >.> lol

Go buy curse of monkey island 8DDDD noooww
  • edited April 2008
    When I was a lot younger, I used to be a hardcore adventure gamer, never giving up and deleting games halfway (once I was close - with Starship Titanic - that was MAD! But that's irrelevant). Thus what Jake said about people not finishing felt... just wrong.

But lately, playing the S&M episodes I've noticed something myself. I just need to play these games in one 3 hour sitting, if possible, just to see where it's going. I don't mind using the walkthrough here and there (which hasn't been a lot, really), because I'm not playing for the challenge anymore, but for the jokes and amusement. For that the difficulty level is just right.

It's because of the nature of episodic gaming. There has to be a constant flow, much like on TV shows. You don't want it to drag. Plus when you're an adult, you don't necessarily have as much time to use to solve it. I mean, they offer a complete walkthrough on the website from minute one. Doesn't that say something. And I totally understand the game developers' point of view (the locations and such).

I myself would drool for another real BIG adventure game such as Grim Fandango (the best one ever) or DIG. Hopefully someone sometime will develop another one. Then I'd start committing myself more to gaming again. What Telltale does is the next best thing, and I bow to them for that.
  • edited April 2008
    The amount of funny outweighs any amount of "too easy". I play to be entertained, not to get frustrated. I have played some adventure games for the challenge alone, but this is Sam and Max. We love to love them! Not to get frustrated and start yelling at Sam to "Just open the damned door!" or whathaveyou. Telltale scored big when they got ahold of this franchise and they are doing great things with it.
  • edited April 2008
    See, I find the game is just hard enough without being frustrating. There's a few puzzles that are obvious and there are some that I can't figure out at all.

That said, I feel a little smart when I figure it out and then about 30 seconds later, Max pipes up with a hint that cements my idea.
  • edited April 2008
    I think the difficulty's hit the perfect spot with the last few episodes. Not easy, yet not frustratingly hard. Sure, an episode only takes a few hours, but if you sum up the total hours of a season, it doesn't come out too short off a normal-sized adventure game.
  • edited April 2008
    I myself would drool for another real BIG adventure game such as Grim Fandango (the best one ever) or DIG. Hopefully someone sometime will develop another one. Then I'd start committing myself more to gaming again. What Telltale does is the next best thing, and I bow to them for that.

I think the Syberia games live up to the old adventuring genre (though of course nothing comes close to topping Grim Fandango or TLJ imho). The Nancy Drew games were ok at first for easy gaming, but they are quite samey after a few (collect n of $thing, solve arbitrary logic puzzle, repeat). The Experiment (Experience 112) was quite novel, and I would rate it higher if it wasn't for a few sections.

Adventure gaming isn't dead, it's just resting :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.