Feature req: See all interactable objects

edited April 2008 in Sam & Max
First of all, let me say a big thank you for all the great games. However, there's one feature I'd like to see you add (not sure if this or support is the right place, since it's not really a support problem). That is an ability to see all the mouseover labels at once, not as fixed labels but through a key or mouse button press/gesture.

The reason for this is that every once in a while I get stuck because I've missed an object. Either because it's small, or because it's one specific part of something or whatever. Obviously the hint system will never say things like "doh, pick up the XYZ right in front of you" and it wouldn't be a good way to use it anyway.

Yes, it'll take some of the "exploring" fun out of it if you instantly see everything you can play with but it's very very tedious to go through every screen, mousing over to search for whatever it is you missed. Think of it something like the hint system, an optional feature you can use to make your life easier.

I really like non-linear stories like the 204 episode, but they tend to make things worse because you have such a large number of screens to traverse. For example, when I first came to the Oval Office I looked at all the objects there and later in the game you do something that makes *two* changes to that room and I only caught the obvious one. I was trying for ages, finally reading the walk-through to solve it. It shouldn't have been necessary at all, if I'd found the new object in the room I'd have figured it out.

P.S. Please don't change your copy protection at all, as of 202 it works perfectly under Linux as long as you set the WINE compatibility setting to Vista, completely legit with serial number checking.

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Hmmm, interesting idea and I see merit to this. I've had times where this would've been helpful.

This is definitely a Season 3 feature since they are about to release 205 tomorrow for GameTap subscribers and Friday for the Worldwide release.
  • edited April 2008
    well duh!
  • edited April 2008
    I want to see this thread and the "please make longer and harder" thread fight it out. :)
  • edited April 2008
    That would be cheating. The whole point of adventures is to explore. If you get stuck there is the awesome hint system to help you out.
  • edited April 2008
    IIRC, Discworld 2 had something similar, where if you held down a certain key every tagged object would have a little star shining on it.

I don't really think it's necessary in Sam & Max though.
  • edited April 2008
    Actually, that was Simon 2.

And it was a great system, but only because Adventure Soft had a habit of filling the game full of lots of small details, only some of which you could interact with.

Telltale seem very consistent in that if you can see something, you can also click on it, so I'm not sure that would help here.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    you're all wrong. "alt" in Diablo trumps all. also... i suspect that we would just be giving the people who skip through all the dialog to get to the puzzles and cutscenes another reason to make me hate them
  • edited April 2008
    I listen to every piece of dialog and even check out everything on each set. It just sometimes is rather difficult to make sure you check everything!
  • edited April 2008
    And you don't want any more Nick hate than you already have let me tell you.
  • edited April 2008
    only thing i would like to see in the games... is a button you push to hear a hint from max... having to wander around and click aimless stuff over, and over again to hear all the hints is rather annoying... and because it annoys me, it sucks most of the comedy out of the lines for me (unless i am totally out of the loop and there already is a keyboard shortcut for the hints)
  • edited April 2008
    Dangerzone wrote: »
    only thing i would like to see in the games... is a button you push to hear a hint from max... having to wander around and click aimless stuff over, and over again to hear all the hints is rather annoying... and because it annoys me, it sucks most of the comedy out of the lines for me (unless i am totally out of the loop and there already is a keyboard shortcut for the hints)

You just set the hint metre on high and sit and wait. Max'll pipe up within a few seconds.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    Actually, the fastest way to get a hint to play is to turn the hints all the way up then click both mouse buttons on a one line object 10-20 times (effectively starting the dialog and skipping through it at the same time). Then, and here is the important part, you have to wait for Max to hit a behavior point. When Max hits his behavior point, he will tell you the hint.
  • edited April 2008
    Will wrote: »
    Actually, the fastest way to get a hint to play is to turn the hints all the way up then click both mouse buttons on a one line object 10-20 times (effectively starting the dialog and skipping through it at the same time). Then, and here is the important part, you have to wait for Max to hit a behavior point. When Max hits his behavior point, he will tell you the hint.

Not only is that the quickest way to get a hint but also carpel tunnel.
  • edited April 2008
    Not only is that the quickest way to get a hint but also carpel tunnel.
    Yay! Two for the price *ouch* of one! That's almost as good as "Buy one, get one"... :D

np: Underworld - Trim (AHundredDaysOff)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.