Walking Dead Saving/Loading issues Steam

edited August 2013 in Game Support
Hey guys.

First of all; forgive me if I'm blunt. I have been having this problem for 2 months now. I emailed TellTaleSupport and they put me onto someone named Evan, who has been literally no help, and takes up to 20 days to reply.
On top of that, i have wasted roughly 17 hours of my life trying to fix this bug. No; that's not an exaggeration.

Okay; so first of all: I have already beaten TWDG. But since then I got a new laptop, and for some reason my save file didn't carry on. Fair enough; I'd just play through again. From there I had been having some issues with choices carrying on, so I deleted all local content/everything in the walking dead folder, re-installed it, and it all worked again.
for a while.
Everything was working fine until I finished episode 2. I started episode 3, played up until the point where you return to the Motor Inn. I exit to the main menu, and it says "Episode 3" in the first save file. As it should. Plus, I can view my stats from Episodes 1 and 2.
Then I quit out of the game and start it up again. For some reason, my save file has reverted back to Episode 2. I also can no longer view my stats for Episode 2. If I click "Rewind" my only option is to play from "Chapter 1; The Woods", but if I click "continue" it says:

Rewinding will delete any progress made after this point, but retain progress made up to this point.
Do you want to rewind to this checkpoint?
[Yes] [No]

When I select "Yes" The game will pick up from the scene just before you are given the option to steal from the station wagon. The game will play as normal. However, when I try to play on from Episode 3, the problem repeats itself.

It may be worth mentioning that when I play Episode 3, save, exit and re-enter the game and the save file says "Episode 2" (as previously stated) the date will say: "08/14/13 22:24:42"
but in my "The Walking Dead" folder in "TellTale Games" in my "Documents" my latest save says: "save_31.save - 8/14/2013 7:45 PM - SAVE File"

If you actually read all this; kudos. Anyone have any ideas? I seem to be the only one on the face of the earth who has this issue. Glad I won the lottery on that one.
Thanks!

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Please follow the instructions to run the Support Tool and attach the resulting "support_data_pc.zip" or "support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Did you press Enter at the end?
  • edited August 2013
    I have indeed. Still nothing.
    Now when I try to play Episode 2, I am prompted with the question asking me if i want to rewind back to previous checkpoint. Then the screen goes black and the game doesn't run resulting in me having to "force quit" out of the game.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Did it create these files?
    data.txt
    dxdiag64.txt or dxdiag32.txt
    events.txt
    If so, you can just zip them and attach them.
  • edited August 2013
    It did do that actually! Thanks!
    Now, how do I zip them and attach them to this thread?
  • edited August 2013
    Oh, hang on. Dose this work:
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Looks good.

Please rename the prefs.prop in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default
    to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it.

Then check how the game reacts.
  • edited August 2013
    Thanks man! That did the trick alright.
    I have a feeling that another issue may arise though, so please, keep an eye on this thread. I may post again. :P
    Out of curiosity; Why exactly DID that work?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Sure. It did work, because sometimes the game saves two prefs.prop files, which is a bug. It then uses one or the other, which leads to inconsistent savegame/setting handling.
    By removing or disabling the bad copy, the game can operate normally again.
  • Hey; I'm having another problom with the game. Could you let me know if you see this so I can explain it?

DjNDB posted: »

Sure. It did work, because sometimes the game saves two prefs.prop files, which is a bug. It then uses one or the other, which leads to incons

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I can see the explanation in the other thread. If you post the support tool info again I can look if i see something.

Tom120Regan posted: »

Hey; I'm having another problom with the game. Could you let me know if you see this so I can explain it?

• Would you like me to post it here, or in the other thread?

I can see the explanation in the other thread. If you post the support tool info again I can look if i see something.

• I've got the:

data.txt
    dxdiag64.txt
    events.txt

Documents, but I cant seem to attach them to this thread?

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Sadly there are no attachments in the new forum. You need to upload the files somewhere else and post the link.

I've got the: data.txt dxdiag64.txt events.txt Documents, but I cant seem to attach them to this thread?

• Like where? Where can I upload files and provide a link?

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

It's all in the support tool instructions. You can upload it here.

Like where? Where can I upload files and provide a link?

• Oh damn, I don't think it did.
    Try this one:

http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/fxKsYOtGxYc6pFKskSaFL8NpZA7DTtzl

It's all in the support tool instructions. You can upload it here.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I looked at the data and your description, but I fear there's nothing I can do. Your situation is more complex than the usual savegame issues, and there's not much I can work with.

What you can try is making a backup copy of the savegame folder
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

Then try restoring previous version (right click, "properties", "restore previous version") on the prefs.prop in the savegame folder ( %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead ).

If you can find the latest one before 12/07/2013 (or whenever your friend played), you might get back what you had before.

If that doesn't do anything good. Restore the backup copy of the savegame folder you made above.

• Thanks for looking at it anyway.
    Do you know if theres anyone at Tell Tale who can do anything? I didn't fork out 25 euro, and 40 hours of my life for a broken game that cannot be fixed, you know?

I looked at the data and your description, but I fear there's nothing I can do. Your situation is more complex than the usual savegame issues,

• Also; Do you know exactly what the problem is?

I looked at the data and your description, but I fear there's nothing I can do. Your situation is more complex than the usual savegame issues,

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

You can contact TTG via E-Mail at support@telltalegames.com.

Thanks for looking at it anyway. Do you know if theres anyone at Tell Tale who can do anything? I didn't fork out 25 euro, and 40 hours of my life for a broken game that cannot be fixed, you know?

• I've done that before and they were of no help.

• Okay; Now my "prefs" PROP File has a picture of "Google Chrome" next to it? Can you at least help me with that? Please, I'm desperate over here.

• All of my PROP files are opening with Google Chrome now!? And now both of the "The Walking Dead" save files are gone?! PLEASE RESPOND!

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

The game shouldn't care if the .prop files are associated with chrome or any other application.
    If you want to unassociate the file type with chrome, you can use this tool.
    You just start it, type .prop in the file type field, and select "delete file type".

If you want your savegames back, just replace the savegame folder with the backup you made.

• I've done that, and my save games are still no where to be found. They're still in the folder, but no loading in the game?
    Also; I'm on windows 8. Is there a version of that tool for a Windows 8 user?

The game shouldn't care if the .prop files are associated with chrome or any other application. If you want to unassociate the file type with

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

You can use this program on windows 8 and simply delete the prop entry.

I don't know what's happened with your savegames in between, so it's best if you run the support tool once more so i can see the current situation.

• Out of curiosity; If I uninstalled TWDG, deleted all the files, and reset my computer to factory settings; Would that solve the problem?

Here are the links: http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/XgGQUUh9vNP1s4wSYx7wk/cNX1GOZ5GW

You can use this program on windows 8 and simply delete the prop entry. I don't know what's happened with your savegames in between, so it's best if you run the support tool once more so i can see the current situation.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2013

Resetting your computer is not necessary and wouldn't change much.

In the new support tool data I can see, that your prefs.prop got corrupted (based on its size). It was fine in the previous data, when I suggested to make a backup of the savegame folder.
    Do you still have the backup and what's the size of the prefs.prop file there?

I forgot earlier, that you need to disable steam cloud for TWD (In Steam, right click TWD and select "properties". Open the tab "updates" and remove the checkbox from "Enable Steam cloud synchronization for TWD), before copying back the backup to the savegame folder, so if you still have it, please try again.

If you don't have the backup you can try the "restore previous version" feature (right click, "properties", "restore previous version") on the prefs.prop in the savegame folder ( %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead ).

Out of curiosity; If I uninstalled TWDG, deleted all the files, and reset my computer to factory settings; Would that solve the problem? Here are the links: http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/XgGQUUh9vNP1s4wSYx7wk/cNX1GOZ5GW

• Look, I feel like we're beating a dead horse here.
    How's this for an Idea: I will reset my computer, and wipe any trace of TWDG. Then, I'll play through it again, and send you a support link thing after each episode, so we can see exactly where the problem arises, and eradicate it?

Resetting your computer is not necessary and wouldn't change much. In the new support tool data I can see, that your prefs.prop got corrupt

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

You don't need to reset the computer to restart the game. It's enough to disable steam cloud and delete the savegame folder.

I suggest you make a new copy of the savegame folder after each episode you finish. Then you can go back to that if anything should go wrong.

Normally you don't need to run the support tool until you run into problems, but I can look at it if you upload it of course to check if there's anything unusual.
    You can also check for yourself if you don't want to wait till I can review your upload. After each episode just make sure there is no prefs.prop in any of these folders
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead102
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead103
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead104
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead105
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead106

That's pretty much all I can do too. If there is, its best to run the support tool to decide further steps.

I wish there was a real solution, but this way we should be able to get you through the game successfully again without major setbacks.

Look, I feel like we're beating a dead horse here. How's this for an Idea: I will reset my computer, and wipe any trace of TWDG. Then, I'll p

• Okay: I just finished Episode 1. Here are the files:
    http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/OShkVXZqemcEXGR/NZssYzcFbGbPafmG

In C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead105 there is a PROP file, called "StatsItem_Chapter8.prop". I don't know if that's good or bad, but I figured it was worth a mention.

Also: I had two minor hiccups during the episode.
    1) In the scene where Clementine hurts her finger, and Lee must bandage it up, just after Lee fixes her finger, the game froze. Now, I just minimized it with Esc and Ctrl and when I clicked back into it; the game worked perfectly.

2) In the scene where you must decide weather or not to let the infected girl shoot herself at the Motel, my computer crashed, and I got the following message:

:(
    Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you ( __% complete)
    If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys)

I don't know if that's all just a coincidence, but with how fucked up my game is, I'd rather not take any chances.

It may also be worth mentioning that in ThisPC/Documents/TelltaleGames/TheWalkingDead some of the "Date Modified" things are not in order. For example:

save_7.save 17/12/2013 9:56 ...
    save_8.save 17/12/2013 9:23 ...
    save_8.save 17/12/2013 10:48 ...

But you'll see what I mean when you look at the support tool thing. Again; I don't know if that's normal, but I figured it was worth a mention.

Thank you very much. I Emailed Telltale Support 8 days ago now, and they still haven't replied, so you're the only on actually helping me out. So again; Thank you.

You don't need to reset the computer to restart the game. It's enough to disable steam cloud and delete the savegame folder. I suggest you

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I am glad i can help.
    Everything looks normal so far. The StatsItem_Chapter8.prop is supposed to be there.
    The crash was caused by the Intel graphics chip, and the freeze might have to do with it too. Please check in the nvidia control panel to make sure the game is forced to run on the nvidia chip.

The dates of the savegames are not chronological. The order is stored in the prefs.prop.

If you remember backing up the savegame folder you should be fine.

Okay: I just finished Episode 1. Here are the files: http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/OShkVXZqemcEXGR/NZssYzcFbGbPafmG In C:\Program Fil

• Perfect!
    Okay, but first, can you run me through how to back up my savegame folder. I know it's probably a stupid question, but I just want to make sure I have everything absolutely perfect.

I am glad i can help. Everything looks normal so far. The StatsItem_Chapter8.prop is supposed to be there. The crash was caused by the Intel

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

All you need to do is make a copy of the entire "The Walking Dead" folder in
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\

Perfect! Okay, but first, can you run me through how to back up my savegame folder. I know it's probably a stupid question, but I just want to make sure I have everything absolutely perfect.

• http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/3Li/I31LiCbYSh3tDYZ/K8TpbOuebTddZIHE+bsKJbI

That's the latest update. No major hiccups. Although at one point I got a message saying:

"Your computer is low on memory. Please save your files and close these programs:
    Steam Client Bootstrapper
    (buildbot_winslave04_steam_steam_rel_client_win32@...
    WalkingDead101"

But there was no way my memory could have been low, (I have 592GB free of 698GB and my laptop is super powerful) so I sent it away to get fixed, and they worked their computer magic, sent it back, and all worked well!
    Lemme know if anything seems strange or startling.
    (I will also make a back up of my saves so far)

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Everything looks fine :)

http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/3Li/I31LiCbYSh3tDYZ/K8TpbOuebTddZIHE+bsKJbI That's the latest update. No major hiccups. Although at one

• Phase two of our master plan is complete!

Everything looks fine

This discussion has been closed.