TWD - Won't read any save files at all??

edited August 2013 in Game Support
So I've been combing threads for a few days trying to find a solution but nothing yet so I thought I'd try here.

I'm playing TWD on PC (Steam) and am a good chunk into episode 3. Went to open the game the other day and I have no saved games available. Game starts right back from the beginning asking me if I want standard or minimal feedback on the gameplay.

The second option here is exactly what happened to me: https://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41676

I can see the saves in the documents>Telltale>Walking Dead folder (35 of them to be exact) but they don't load.

Ran the support tool and resulting file attached.

Help!

Edit: I should note that I only see one prefs.prop file for the game. It's in that same folder with the saves as noted above. I don't see a second file in the steamapps folder as been noted by some.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2013
    From the size of it it looks like the prefs.prop got corrupted and was replaced, which can happen when the game crashes. The prefs.prop is essential for accessing the savegames.
    If you have a backup copy of it, you can copy it to the savegame folder and should be able to access your savegames again.
  • edited August 2013
    Thanks for the reply! :)

The game did crash (specially, wouldn't launch through a few attempts) when these problems started. I only grabbed a copy of the save game folder afterwards however.

I just tried to delete the contents of the folder and replace with the back up, including the prefs.prop but no change.

One of the solutions I had tried was to rename the prefs.prop to prefs.prop.bak (in case there was another one somewhere I couldn't find). It didn't work and I went back to the standard file. Now every time I run the game a prefs.prop.bak file pops up in the folder?

So if I don't have a back-up of the prefs file and the current one is corrupted, do I have another option? (please say yes, please say yes...)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Normally i suggest the "restore previous version" feature (right click, "properties", "restore previous version") on the prefs.prop in the savegame folder ( %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead ).
    Sadly it is disabled by default since Windows 8, so that's only an option if you enabled it before the crash.

Same goes for file history, though i don't even know which folders it would backup.

If you don't have any of these features, there's no way of restoring your progress.

You do have another prefs.prop which is about a year old at
    C:\Users\General Access\Desktop\Walking Dead\oldest

If its from the same playthrough that might at least bring back some progress, but since not all episodes were released by the files date, that might not be much.
  • edited August 2013
    Well, that is rather sad.

I have not enabled the previous version option. I tried using shadow explorer as well but it doesn't read that folder as containing files.

I had tried the other prefs file and it does allow me some progress but only through about 3/4 of episode 1. I'll consider running through it again but who says I don't run into this issue again somewhere down the road. Makes me a little hesitant.

Regardless, I greatly appreciate you taking a look for me DjNDB.
This discussion has been closed.