Maimtron references list

edited April 2010 in Sam & Max
Has anyone compiled a list of all the songs the Maimtron references? I'm totally oblivious to popular music, and I was curious.

Comments

• edited April 2008
    I wouldn't exactly describe it as 'popular' music... the fact that it's all cheesy old stuff is part of the joke, IMO.

That said, apart from "I Will Survive", I can't actually remember any of the other songs. I recognised some of them, I've just forgotten what they were.
  • edited April 2008
    "I read the news today, oh boy" when you click on "Bad News" is a reference to "A Day In The Life", by the Beatles.
    "He's a man of wealth and taste" when you click on Satan is from "Sympathy For the Devil" by the Rolling Stones.

Can't really remember anything else other than "I Will Survive", which was posted above.
  • edited April 2008
    well I knew a couple of the songs, like when you click on stinkys window he sings the song "Luka" although I can't renember the artist. Its on my ipod but I can't be bothered to go see XD
  • MelMel
    edited April 2008
    Suzanne Vega did Luka.
  • edited April 2008
    He referenced "It's the End of the World as we Know It (And I Feel Fine)" by R.E.M. at one point. It might have been clicking on Bosco's, but I'm not 100% certain.
  • edited April 2008
    When looking at the parking meter, Maimtron says "Lovely Rita, parking meter", which is of course a reference to the Beatles song Lovely Rita.

Also, looking at the crack, he says something about that it leads to a land down under, where women glow and men plunder - referring to the Men at Work song.
  • edited April 2008
    He references En Vogue's "Never Gonna Get It", as well.
  • edited April 2008
    I don't remember what I clicked, but one of his lines was from "We Didn't Start the Fire" by Billy Joel.
  • edited April 2008
    He also references My Hump by The Black Eyed Peas.
  • edited April 2008
    I remember one was "Talk about mud flaps my girls got 'em" when looking at the COPS. That one's Spinal Tap.
  • edited April 2008
    there's one when you click on the Manhole he'll say "That leads to a Land Down Under where woman glow and men plunder"
    from Men at Work
  • edited April 2008
    I was hoping for a Rick Astley reference. :p
  • edited April 2008
    tobar wrote: »
    I was hoping for a Rick Astley reference. :p

God, so was I. I was so hoping we'd get Rickroll'd in Sam and Max. It would have made my rating go up to 11.
  • edited April 2008
    if you click on the rubble where he used to lay, he will sing 'its not a rock, its a rock lobster': rock lobster by the b52's. clicking on stinkys will lead him to sing 'look out boy she'll chew you up, shes a man-eater': man eater, by hall and oates.
  • edited April 2008
    Clicking on Momma will make him say "Mama Said Knock You Out" which is a rap hit by LL Cool J from 1990.
  • edited April 2008
    The references were great. I loved the variety of the songs. Also I was positively surprised that I recognized over 50% of them. :)

That was probably the part I enjoyed most from this episode actually, using the Maimtron. The driving challenge was pretty cool too - 70 was my record. :P
  • edited April 2008
    If you click on Max, he Maimtron says "You can't touch this" Haha
  • edited April 2008
    "Hope I die before I get old" is from My Generation by The Who.

The Who= <3
    "I-e-i-e-i will always love you" is the bodyguard theme.
    "Here I go again on my own" is by Whitesnake.
  • edited April 2008
    I was born in 1984, so I dig some of the classic 80's songs. I liked it when the robot quoted "If trouble comes along, you must whip it, whip it good." from Devo.
  • edited April 2008
    "Mama Mia, Here I go again" (Mama Mia by Abba)
    "Uder the Bridge Downtown, is where I drew some Blood" (Under The Bridge by the Red hot Chili Peppers)
  • edited April 2008
    "Steam in the subway, Earth is on fire" is from the song "Hungry Like the Wolf" by Duran Duran.
  • edited April 2008
    Does someone want to go and play 201 and 205 again, write down all of Maimtron's lines, and then we can fill in all the references as a group?

(and no, i'm not volunteering... no time at the moment :( )
  • edited April 2008
    Billy Idol's "White Wedding" when you click on Sybil's
    Kansa's "Dust in the Wind" on Timmy

Maimtron lyrics in 201
    "What goes up must come down"
    "Just to tell you once again, who's bad" -- "Bad" by Michael Jackson
    "I'm gonna tear your playhouse down, pretty soon"
    "I've lost that loving feeling O-O-O" -- "I've lost that loving feeling" by the Righteous Brothers
    "If you start me up, if you start me up, I can never stop"
    "Celebrate good times, com'on"
    "All the cops in the donut shop say: way-oh-way-oh" -- "Walk like an Egyptian" by the Bangles
    "I've got to go where I wanna go, do what I wanna do"
    "Do you really want to hurt me? Do you really want to make me cry?" --"Do you really want to hurt me?" by Culture Club
    "Eight-six-seven-oh-oh-nine"
    "I fought the law and the robot won"
    "When a problem comes along, you must whip it, whip it good"
    "It's more than a feeling, more than a feeling"
    "I might as well face it: I'm addicted to shove"
    "Why do birds sing so gay, and lovers await the break of the day?"
    "Karma Karma Karma Chameleon" -- "Karma Chameleon" by Culture Club
    "And another one bites, and another one bites the dust" -- "Another one bites the dust" by Queen

Sam's lines in 201
    "Why do fools fall in love?"
    "Why do birds suddenly appear every time you're near?" -- "Close to You" by the Carpenters
    "Who wrote the book of love?"
    "Do you believe in life after love?"
  • edited April 2008
    MaxFan wrote: »
    If you click on Max, he Maimtron says "You can't touch this" Haha

The Sexual Harassment projection in Hell also states that no part of Max's body should be touched.
  • edited April 2008
    Randulf wrote: »
    "It's more than a feeling, more than a feeling"
    That should be "More than a feeling" by Boston.

"Who wrote the book of love?"
    Coulb be from "American Pie", but i'm not sure?
    Isn't that from a Song by Cher?
  • edited April 2008
    The second one is actually from the song Book of Love by the Monotones (I would think). American Pie has a line that's "Did you write the book of love" which is likely a reference to the Monotones song.
  • edited April 2008
    "Celebrate good times, com'on"
    Celebration by Kool And The Gang
    "Eight-six-seven-oh-oh-nine"
    Might be a reference to this?
    "Why do birds sing so gay, and lovers await the break of the day?"
    This.
    "Why do fools fall in love?"
    See above.
    That is indeed Cher, as Mirko pointed out.
  • edited April 2008
    Awww, I was hoping to see a list of referances here instead of a lyrics hunt. Oh well. I, too, am oblivious to some of those referances.

Hell, I'm still trying to figure out if I've heard the song the line used for Specs came from. "Shout! Shout! Shout at the devil!"
    He also references My Hump by The Black Eyed Peas.

That was the best one out of the entire batch, because it was delivered as a legitimet question. :D
  • mremre
    edited April 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    Hell, I'm still trying to figure out if I've heard the song the line used for Specs came from. "Shout! Shout! Shout at the devil!"

That would be Mötley Crüe - Shout at the Devil.
  • edited April 2008
    "I fought the law and the robot won"
    "I fought the Law" by the Bobby Fuller Four (Paraphrased)
    "When a problem comes along, you must whip it, whip it good"
    as mentioned before "Whip it" by Devo
    "I might as well face it: I'm addicted to shove"
    "Addicted to Love" by Robert Palmer (paraphrased)
  • edited April 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    The second one is actually from the song Book of Love by the Monotones (I would think). American Pie has a line that's "Did you write the book of love" which is likely a reference to the Monotones song.

Ahh! Yes, thank you. I could not remember the exact American Pie Quote, but I don't think I ever heard the other song...
  • edited April 2008
    Sam has a few lines with the Mr. Reaper Phone that I think qualify.

"You'll never fine a love like mine."
    "They call me Mr. Tibbs."
  • edited April 2008
    "Tell me what you want, what you really really want" - Wannabe, Spice Girls

God I'm glad the '90s are over.
  • mremre
    edited April 2008
    Helstrom wrote: »
    God I'm glad the '90s are over.

Heh, 10 years ago, you probably said the same about the 80's. ;)
  • edited April 2008
    Filling in a few inside the quote (including those mentioned in the thread)
    Billy Idol's "White Wedding" when you click on Sybil's
    Kansa's "Dust in the Wind" on Timmy

Maimtron lyrics in 201
    "What goes up must come down"
    "Just to tell you once again, who's bad" -- "Bad" by Michael Jackson
    "I'm gonna tear your playhouse down, pretty soon"
    "I've lost that loving feeling O-O-O" -- "I've lost that loving feeling" by the Righteous Brothers
    "If you start me up, if you start me up, I can never stop" - Start Me up, Rolling Stones
    "Celebrate good times, com'on" - Celebration, ???
    "All the cops in the donut shop say: way-oh-way-oh" -- "Walk like an Egyptian" by the Bangles
    "I've got to go where I wanna go, do what I wanna do"
    "Do you really want to hurt me? Do you really want to make me cry?" --"Do you really want to hurt me?" by Culture Club
    "Eight-six-seven-oh-oh-nine" - Jenny (should be 867 5309)
    "I fought the law and the robot won" - I fought the law
    "When a problem comes along, you must whip it, whip it good" - Whip It, Devo
    "It's more than a feeling, more than a feeling" - More than a Feeling, Boston
    "I might as well face it: I'm addicted to shove" - Addicted to Love, Robert Palmer
    "Why do birds sing so gay, and lovers await the break of the day?" - Close To You, The Carpenters
    "Karma Karma Karma Chameleon" -- "Karma Chameleon" by Culture Club
    "And another one bites, and another one bites the dust" -- "Another one bites the dust" by Queen

Sam's lines in 201
    "Why do fools fall in love?" - Close To You, the Carpenters
    "Why do birds suddenly appear every time you're near?" -- "Close to You" by the Carpenters
    "Who wrote the book of love?" - Who wrote the book of love
    "Do you believe in life after love?" - Cher
  • edited April 2008
    take control of the maintron while harry is on the street and click him...

"take my hand baby, don't fear the reaper"
  • edited April 2008
    Dangerzone wrote: »
    "take my hand baby, don't fear the reaper"
    I'd say "Apollo 440", but it's actually from Boards Of Canada, errr, Blue Öyster Cult...

np: Underworld - Trim (AHundredDaysOff)
  • edited April 2008
    When you control the Maimtron, click on Sybil`s, and he says: "Its a nice day for a white wedding". Why no-one has noticed that reference? :confused:
  • edited April 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    Sam has a few lines with the Mr. Reaper Phone that I think qualify.

"You'll never fine a love like mine."
    "They call me Mr. Tibbs."

Shame on those that didn't know.:p
  • edited April 2008
    Arthur9 wrote: »
    When you control the Maimtron, click on Sybil`s, and he says: "Its a nice day for a white wedding". Why no-one has noticed that reference? :confused:
    Nobody noticed the "Gonna take a Midnight Train" line either. I blame Gaico for that one.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.