Season 2 titles...[205 spoilers]

edited April 2008 in Sam & Max
Just did a quick Google...and apparently, all the titles in season 2 parody shows/books/events taking place in the late 60s...
Was this intentional? Perhaps alluding to the Soda Poppers?

Comments

• edited April 2008
    You made me have to find the origins of the titles.

201- Ice Station Santa - Ice Station Zebra (no joke) - 1968 war movie
    202- Moai Better Blues - Mo' Better Blues - Spike Lee movie from 1990 that starts out in 1969
    203- Night of the Raving Dead - Night of the Living Dead (for anyone who has been denied THE zombie movie) 1968
    204- Chariots of the Dogs - Chariots of the Gods? - A book published in 1968 posing the question of whether technology and religions of ancient civilizations were given by aliens hailed as gods. (honest!)
    205- What's New Beelzebub? - What's New Pussycat? - 1965 comedy film

And yes, I really had nothing better to do.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    Weird. I don't think the era was deliberate, but Chuck or Brendan or Steve Purcell probably know better.
  • edited April 2008
    I never really understood the 'Chariots of the Dogs' name ... what dogs?
  • edited April 2008
    Linque wrote: »
    I never really understood the 'Chariots of the Dogs' name ... what dogs?

Sam.
  • edited April 2008
    Sam?
  • edited April 2008
    God spelled backwards? Dog! Then put the "S" at the end of either.
    Just kidding!
  • edited April 2008
    All-thumbs wrote: »
    God spelled backwards? Dog! Then put the "S" at the end of either.
    Just kidding!

Actually, that's what I thought it was, since it's such a strange anagram.
  • edited April 2008
    If 'Sam' was supposed to be an explanation, I still don't get it. You just got me more confused.
  • edited April 2008
    Sams?
  • edited April 2008
    Linque wrote: »
    If 'Sam' was supposed to be an explanation, I still don't get it. You just got me more confused.

Sam is a dog. Hence, Chariots of the Dogs.
  • edited April 2008
    ..and he's there twice.
  • edited April 2008
    But, but, ... .!

The name just doesn't seem like a good fit to the episode, regardless.
  • edited April 2008
    Er, I guess it's just to derogate the noble phrase "Chariot of the Gods" with the well-known reversal of "god". Literally it doesn't make much sense... at all.

I thought it was a cool title, anyway. x3
  • edited April 2008
    Chariots of the Gods? is a book theorizing that ancient technology and religions were brought by aliens who were hailed as gods. There was a whole lot of advanced technology, specifically spacecraft, in that episode that you find out in 205 was provided by Satan or possibly the poppers. The reversal of the books concept in that alien technology is provided by not an alien race, but by said Satan or poppers. I wouldn't dare to call any of them a god, but I can see the reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariots_of_the_gods
  • edited April 2008
    Ha ha! Linque's brain is melting! Ha ha!:D
  • edited April 2008
    My brain took quite a hit yes.

Someone earlier said that Chariots of the gods has to do with aliens and time travel, yes. Thanks for the Wiki link. The name itself is a bit too obscure though, if you don't know the reference. 'Ice Station Santa' for example works great even without good knowledge of the source.

Bottom line is that it's not bad, but it's not as great as the other titles in my opinion. Then again could've been hard to figure out a better funny reference to that episode. But I'll let it go now, I'm already dragging this too long probably. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.