The "edginess" of season 2

edited April 2008 in Sam & Max
I recall reading that among Telltale's many plans for season 2, that they were going to try and make a games a tad more "edgy". Well, with season 2 now over with, I thought I'd offer my two cents. I feel it's pretty much spot on, there's the right mix of "in-your-face" edgy gags, such as Max saying he always thought Sybil was a necrophiliac. Nothing in the realm of South Park thankfully. As much as I like the show, I feel that being super crude just isn't the style of Sam & Max. And of course, the subtle, if more dirty (and funnier!) gags, such as Max talking about the Washington monument's Bris. Keep up the good work Telltale! You've got the "edginess" pretty much down! Oh and by the way... Never use the word "heck" again, nothing smacks of self-censorship more than using the word "heck" instead of "Hell". Though, I guess after the amount of times "Hell" was said in episode 5, I think they're past that ;)

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Sam and Max say things like "heck" and "darn" and so forth when a situation doesn't call for something huge. If you overuse certain words, they lose their meaning --and in comedy stories, their humor.
  • edited April 2008
    Did Razahyder made a clone of himself, but not as bad?
  • edited April 2008
    if it is so... if it clones the clone an other time we may have a normal person...
  • edited April 2008
    Sam and Max say things like "heck" and "darn" and so forth when a situation doesn't call for something huge. If you overuse certain words, they lose their meaning --and in comedy stories, their humor.
    "darn" is OK, phrases like "well I'll be darned!" still sound funny. But I've only even seen "heck" used in TV shows and the like, to avoid using the word "hell". Of of all the words in the English language, "heck" is the number one of those "I want to use a strong word, but I don't want to use any bad words" words.

Arthur9: Should I resent that remark?
  • edited April 2008
    dont forget about the "Ride the BUCKING surfboard" =)

But yeah, we need more harsh language and more fist fights, really nice to see max getting into a fight like in the original game. :)
  • edited April 2008
    I'm wondering if they're going to have to fight for a T rating on the retail version of season 2. It really doesn't seem like it should be an M-rated game, but a few of the jokes and/or situations might be deemed technically too risky.

I guess it's weird because it's been kind of a while since we've had a game with lots of comedic dialog that falls into the "meant for adults but not adults-only" category. Most dialog-heavy games in the past decade have either been fantasy RPGs (which rarely push the envelope in terms of dialog) or really dark games where there's tons of violence and profanity and the M rating is obviously needed. The last time we had a game like this, the ratings system was in its infancy and video games weren't as much in the mainstream spotlight as they are now.
  • edited April 2008
    It was definatly a lot more subtle.

I'm sure the point behind excorsising Christmas of the shambling corporate presence wasn't lost on most of you, for instance.
  • edited April 2008
    Geez, you people just saw
    three midgets screaming while melting away in some lava, with one their eyes popping out,
    AND you want more violence?

Well, whatever. I thought the edginess in this season was just fine. I like the subtle, creepy stuff better anyway. Just imagine what the offspring of Cybil and Abe will look like. :p
  • edited April 2008
    I'm curious what the "especially violent solution" is that the adventuregamers.com review mentions. I can't tell if it's
    sending a good rat to Hell (but you save him again right afterwards)
    or it's
    sawing a rib out of Jurgen's monster (but he's pretty blase about removing body parts and swapping them out)
    . Or something else entirely.
  • edited April 2008
    Kefky wrote: »
    Well, whatever. I thought the edginess in this season was just fine. I like the subtle, creepy stuff better anyway. Just imagine what the offspring of Cybil and Abe will look like. :p

I was shivering at the thought of what the offspring of Sybil and
    Dick Peacock
    would look like.... GYAH!!
  • edited April 2008
    I was shivering at the thought of what the offspring of Sybil and
    Dick Peacock
    would look like.... GYAH!!

Now you're just being prejudice.
    Dick Peacock is your average run-of-mill middle-aged midget.
    Abe is a bunch of rubble put together.
  • jmmjmm
    edited April 2008
    Thinking about potential offspring looks.... BLAAAARGHH!

Considering that
    Girl Stinky turned out to be a cake made out of #&!$% ice cream, coffee, fish sticks and a rib
    ...I'd rather not venture into that line of thought...
  • edited April 2008
    jmm i think you forgot the most important ingredient in all stinky recipes TAR
Sign in to comment in this discussion.