2D Vs 3D Vs the old feel and atmosphere.

edited April 2008 in Sam & Max
I wonder if there are any chance we could lure telltale to go for a mix with 2d and 3d :) it just seems like with 3d its almost impossible to get the atmosphere and look and feel of those old 2d adventure games

Not even to mention, that effects :) just seems like the 3d is alot more static, you dont see npcs move around like in the old adventure games, and fight, blow stuff up, max pulling the insides out of a cat :)
flint paper shooting the place up.

I really do like the new Sam & Max, but i just feel there is a side missing if you will, the want and destruction. A bit hard to explain with my poor english :)

but we were moving a bit in the right direction with the big robot and such here in season 2, but more stuff like that :)

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Well, it's not the 2d specifically that makes all the atmosphere, a lot of it has to do with character performances, with acting etc. To me, for example, Telltale's incarnation of Sam & Max is not very similar to the comics, or to Hit the Road. Well, it's becoming a hybrid between the TV series and the comics.

But I do know what you mean. I still play through Hit the Road at least once a year (sometimes more). Picture how much more they could do with today's technology if somebody dared to make a 2d adventure game! The glow effects, the shadows, dynamic lighting, it would be perfect. Sigh.

The main thing is that Telltale's episodes don't have 'that 90's feeling'. You know? It was just right then and there. I can't really explain it, either. Some movies have that, like "The Incredibles" totally has that 90's feeling. Die Hard 3 had that 90's feeling. I think it's more to do with the character, sort of being an anti-hero or something. The old Sam & Max were more insane.
  • edited April 2008
    Plus to do all that in 2D would make monthly releases damn near impossible. The last awesome 2D game I loved had to be Odin's Sphere.
  • edited April 2008
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    Not even to mention, that effects :) just seems like the 3d is alot more static, you dont see...max pulling the insides out of a cat :)....

I would guess this kind of detail takes time, and with the schedule that telltale has to work to in order to get each episode out every month, you're going to miss out on this kind of stuff from time to time. Even if the games were 2d, this would still take extra time to animate that telltale probably just don't have.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    I love 2D adventure games, but we don't make them :) As Scott said, we really like making regularly released episodes for a lot of reasons, and doing a 2D game on a schedule like that would be beyond unfeasible.

I like that a "2D vs 3D" thread is pretty much guaranteed to come up at the beginning and end of each season :)
  • edited April 2008
    how 2d will strong bad actually be?
  • edited April 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    how 2d will strong bad actually be?

Check out the screenshots on the Strong Bad page of the site. It's 3D whilst still looking strikingly similar to the original look. Be interesting to see what Sam & Max look like with those effects.
  • edited April 2008
    Yeah guess im just hopeing one day Telltale will be big enough to put that kind of time an effort into the game :) yeah i play sam&max, day of the tentacle also every year. There is just something about it.

Yeah the Sam&max in HTR were pretty insane :) and most admit i liked it like that, but ofc i guess Telltale are applying to a bigger audiense.

But atleast Sam&max are getting better and better for each Season :)

Yeah did check out strong bad, looks pretty close to the original, ofc the orignalt didn have that much detail :) as compared to 2d Sam & Max.
  • edited April 2008
    RobD wrote: »
    Check out the screenshots on the Strong Bad page of the site. It's 3D whilst still looking strikingly similar to the original look. Be interesting to see what Sam & Max look like with those effects.

When they were first working on the effects we were going to use for Strong Bad they applied them to Sam and he looked pretty sweet.
  • edited April 2008
    When they were first working on the effects we were going to use for Strong Bad they applied them to Sam and he looked pretty sweet.

Any chance we can see/if it will be used in future episodes?:D
  • edited April 2008

pics or it didnt happen ;)
  • edited April 2008
    It won't be used in future episodes. That was only as an internal test before we had models from Strongbad to test with.
  • FloFlo
    edited April 2008
    Part of the "2D feel" was the lack of detail in old adventures, which left a lot to your imagination and forced developers to exaggerate animations and such.

There are a number of fan projects that try to emulate the style of the old Lucasarts games in higher resolution 2D graphics and all of them fall short.
  • edited April 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    It won't be used in future episodes. That was only as an internal test before we had models from Strongbad to test with.
    Awww... so no pics, then? :(

np: Underworld - EssGee (AHundredDaysOff)
  • edited April 2008
    Yep, I tend to agree that 2D would look better than the 3D of these episodes, but the workload to make games in 2D is way, way higher than with 3D. And of course it would be possible to get that same atmosphere in 3D as well, but again that would require as much if not more work than doing the same thing in 2D, not to mention the increase in the disk requirements from the game.

I should probably save this reply somewhere so I don't have to write it every 6 months here. :)
  • edited April 2008
    I'm one of the biggest devotees of 2D gaming ever (self-proclaimed), but I have no desire for Telltale to do the Sam & Max games in 2D. I'm sure it would be fantastic, but, well, it would be different, and I don't think they need to be different!

I also think Sam & Max lends itself quite well to 3D, and loses nothing in the transition. The same can't be said of everything. Strong Bad is more of a risk, but the cel-style rendering makes it work. It wouldn't be good if the Strong Bad games looked like the Sam & Max games, though.
  • MelMel
    edited April 2008
    Yep, most everyone would agree that 2D looks better than 3D in adventure games

I love it when people think they can speak for everyone/most everyone... :rolleyes:

Do you feel you've met enough gamers on this planet to make that conclusion?

I like both and I think Sam & Max look just fine in 3D.

/vent
  • edited April 2008
    Heh, I don't know how that slipped there. I don't usually write such nonsense. A bit of a careless post I guess. I'll go edit it.

Funny thing is that I actually don't prefer 2D over 3D that much if the 3D stuff is made with the same detail. So my post up there didn't make any sense at all. :)
    The best example is the Freelance Police trailer from Lucasarts - the animation there is on par with the 2D games. So it's more of a big budget / low budget kind of a thing to me, not 2D/3D.

EDIT:
    Now that I reread what I had posted, I had to change most of it. Read it again, it's much better now. ;)
  • edited April 2008
    Sir_Lemming, that's an interesting opinion. You say that Strong Bad is more at risk. I've watched a couple of Strong Bad episodes, and the artistic merits of the cartoon don't seem that incredible. Why do you think 3D would be more detrimental to Strong Bad as opposed to Sam & Max?
  • edited April 2008
    Linque wrote: »
    Sir_Lemming, that's an interesting opinion. You say that Strong Bad is more at risk. I've watched a couple of Strong Bad episodes, and the artistic merits of the cartoon don't seem that incredible. Why do you think 3D would be more detrimental to Strong Bad as opposed to Sam & Max?

I can't speak for him, but I think it's the decided flatness of Strong Bad's world that makes it hard to imagine it transferring well into 3D. The characters especially are abstract in a way that I'm surprised to see it work in 3D.
  • edited April 2008
    Alright, I just don't see the added value that the 2D world brings Strong Bad.

EDIT:
    I watched a few more clips, and the world isn't really even flat in the cartoons. It's just as 3D as Penny Arcade for example, which in my opinion seems to work great in the 3D game.
  • MelMel
    edited April 2008
    Linque wrote: »
    Heh, I don't know how that slipped there. I don't usually write such nonsense. A bit of a careless post I guess. I'll go edit it.

Funny thing is that I actually don't prefer 2D over 3D that much if the 3D stuff is made with the same detail. So my post up there didn't make any sense at all. :)
    The best example is the Freelance Police trailer from Lucasarts - the animation there is on par with the 2D games. So it's more of a big budget / low budget kind of a thing to me, not 2D/3D.

EDIT:
    Now that I reread what I had posted, I had to change most of it. Read it again, it's much better now. ;)

I need to be less grumpy. :) Oh, come July hopefully that will happen.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.