Sam & Max in Super Smash Bros. 4

Now that Sam and Max are finally making their big debut onto a Nintendo gaming console, I say it's time we already start to bombard the Nintendo offices with requests for our favorite Freelance Police to be guest stars in the next installment of the Super Smash Bros. fighting series. After all, who would be more suited to a cartoon fighting tournament than the two most dangerously insane cartoon characters of all time? Of course, there is the rule that all guest star characters would have to have begun their existence as game characters, but most people think Sam & Max started as a game anyway, so... What they don't know won't hurt them, eh? :D

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Wasn't Earthworm Jim in the newest one (I think...)? He started as comic/cartoon/game rather than as just a game character.

Come to think about it, Strongbad would be great too. :D
  • edited April 2008
    RobD wrote: »
    Wasn't Earthworm Jim in the newest one (I think...)? He started as comic/cartoon/game rather than as just a game character.

Come to think about it, Strongbad would be great too. :D

Earthworm Jim started as a video game, but there were cartoon and comic book spinoffs. And, no, he didn't make it into Super Smash Bros. Brawl, although there was some serious discussion about it. I think it ultimately came down to there being too many legal difficulties involved in who currently owns the rights to the character.
  • edited April 2008
    The pair would be awesome in the game, but playing as jsut one would seem oddly empty I think, and as a pair it would be bizarre (unless they basically coppied each other's attacks and individually were 1/2 as strong as a normal character, thus making an even playing field

But the pair's lust for violence and adventure certainly suits the game. I'd love to see a fight taking place in their office! or at the least on their street, with bosco panicing in the background (lol)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    Is that true? I've just sort of assumed that no western characters are going to get in. Otherwise it seems like we would have seen a ridiculous character like Captain N The Games Master at some point (we got R.O.B. in Brawl, for instance).
  • edited April 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    Is that true? I've just sort of assumed that no western characters are going to get in. Otherwise it seems like we would have seen a ridiculous character like Captain N The Games Master at some point (we got R.O.B. in Brawl, for instance).

It's true. They wanted characters who were internationally well-known and Earthworm Jim was a big hit all over the globe. It just came down to legal difficulties and straining for time since the game got delayed far longer than they'd planned. I say you guys should start getting on Nintendo's good side right away! *laughs* Sam & Max would make a funny "team" character, like the Ice Climbers. Maybe even have some funny attacks like Sam throwing Max to stun opponents!
  • edited April 2008
    It's true. They wanted characters who were internationally well-known and Earthworm Jim was a big hit all over the globe. It just came down to legal difficulties and straining for time since the game got delayed far longer than they'd planned. I say you guys should start getting on Nintendo's good side right away! *laughs* Sam & Max would make a funny "team" character, like the Ice Climbers. Maybe even have some funny attacks like Sam throwing Max to stun opponents!

Not to mention using Max as a sword. :p

I'm still annoyed that they can't be bothered to sort out those Earthworm Jim rights after all this time. I want the animated series on DVD dammit!:(
  • edited April 2008
    RobD wrote: »
    Not to mention using Max as a sword. :p

I'm still annoyed that they can't be bothered to sort out those Earthworm Jim rights after all this time. I want the animated series on DVD dammit!:(

Tell me about it. I'm afraid Jim may end up becoming another Roger Rabbit: Doomed to Toon Purgatory for all eternity because the copyright owners got into a hissyfit with each other.
  • edited April 2008
    I wonder if they'd get to use their guns int he game, since the TV series tehy couldn't... deranged-max just doesnt look the same without wielding that luger...

I hear you about EWJ, I've spend years triyng to find the full series avalible in any format (even online, pirated, it's not all there!!!) That belongs in the same off-the-wall humor category as S+M.
  • edited April 2008
    Ashton wrote: »
    I wonder if they'd get to use their guns int he game, since the TV series tehy couldn't... deranged-max just doesnt look the same without wielding that luger...

I hear you about EWJ, I've spend years triyng to find the full series avalible in any format (even online, pirated, it's not all there!!!) That belongs in the same off-the-wall humor category as S+M.

They'd probably have them using some form of explosives or firearms that are exaggerated enough to fit the weirdness of Super Smash Brothers. Like how Solid Snake didn't use a gun, but instead had grenades and a rocket launcher. I can easily see Sam and/or Max hiding a missile launcher somewhere on their person(s).
  • edited April 2008
    Max hiding a missile launcher somewhere on their person(s).

Ouch.

SAM: "Where do you keep your rocket launcher, Max?"

MAX: "Ngggghhh..."
  • edited April 2008
    I think if they worked like the Pokemon trainer it'd be good. Max fights while Sam shouts "Sic 'em, little buddy!" from the sidelines, and pressing B would make him shoot. Then maybe the DeSoto could be their final smash, as Sam drives around while Max shoots from the roof.

Here's my idea for a moveset:

B: Sam shoots
    >B: Max uses the boxing glove
    vB: Max uses his Ocean Chimp God powers to absorb projectiles. Or something.
    ^B: Sam throws Max into the air "Whee!"
    Final Smash: DeSoto
    Taunt 1: "You crack me up, little buddy."
    Taunt 2: "Shall we trash the place, Sam?" "Can't think of a reason not to!"
    Taunt 3: "Holy (different exclamation each time)"

Bluster Blaster and Bosco could make good Assist Trophies too. :D

And if they can't use guns, there's always the tear gas grenade launcher. ;)
  • edited April 2008
    Tell me about it. I'm afraid Jim may end up becoming another Roger Rabbit: Doomed to Toon Purgatory for all eternity because the copyright owners got into a hissyfit with each other.
    FYI, Disney owns the rights to Roger Rabbit. In fact, they released the film on DVD several years back with a lot of behind the scenes stuff, including commentary about the friction the film caused between Disney and Warner. Fasicanting stuff, really.

@Teeth: If they do get put into the next game, I want Bluster Blaster to come in during their Vicotry screen and just scream 'YOU FAIL!' in an ironic turn around of the situtation. Also, Max has to say "Booga Booga!" if he's going to get thrown by Sam.

T-H-E-M would be fun to have as an assist, too, if only for the abduction beam save.
  • edited April 2008
    for those who don't know, the problem with Roger Rabbit is that Disney created the animation and Amblin (spielberg's studio) created the live action content. The copyright was jointly owned by both companies, but Michael Eisner angered everyone, causing the whole IP to live in limbo forever. But he's gone now, so who knows :)
  • edited April 2008
    That Eisner, what a little rascal he was. :p
  • edited April 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    for those who don't know, the problem with Roger Rabbit is that Disney created the animation and Amblin (spielberg's studio) created the live action content. The copyright was jointly owned by both companies, but Michael Eisner angered everyone, causing the whole IP to live in limbo forever. But he's gone now, so who knows :)
    Not limbo. Tokyo. They still use him as part of the finale cast of characters in their Electrical Parade. :p
  • edited April 2008
    Awww, weak. They keep deleting floats from ours :(
Sign in to comment in this discussion.