anyone hoping for a cel-shaded look for season 3?

edited April 2008 in Sam & Max
First of all. Congratulations to Tell Tale for a wonderful 2 seasons! I really enjoyed the pacing, the attention to continuity, the humor, and the overall ludicrousness.

However, I was always a little disappointed with the decision to use 3d models for the overall art direction. Although I am used to it now, I miss the old cartoon-style characters from "sam and max hit the road".

Could there possibly be a change in art direction in season 3? (most likely a pipe dream)

Comments

• edited April 2008
    I just wanna see that art test they did on Sam. :p
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    Probably not! We're pretty happy with the direction of the look of Sam & Max.
  • edited April 2008
    The current look is pretty great imho. it could use some detailing and polishing but it's a good direction to go in.
  • edited April 2008
    Cell shading would look horrible on Sam & Max.
  • edited April 2008
    I for one dont like the idea, unless it WAS for a one-scene/one-puzzle bit as a sort of "retrogame" look... I'm very happy with the 3D animations.
  • edited April 2008
    maybe with the right setting cell-shading could work for sam & max, but it would be to big of a break...so i would rather see some new facial animations, that angry face of max is a bit overused..
  • edited April 2008
    yeah... i like the current look of sam and max, with the hard drawn textures for a cartoon-esque appearance, but still not blatantly hiding the fact that its a 3D game

im with wisp, i would much rather see better animation from the games...faster and more complex zany animation to match the comics and original hit the road game... the characters and the way they have mostly been for the past 2 years is very slow, lethargic, and stale (apart from the few hand animated game assets, intros, and ending sequences)

i think it would be cool if they kept certain auto animated things like with lip-syncing but started to hand animate the various other gestures, cutscenes, and animations
  • edited April 2008
    Well, there is always the possibility to use Cry Engine 2...
    :D
  • edited April 2008
    Not this again...

But anyway, why would they be cel-shaded? They've never really had that look in 2D media. Occasionally in the cartoon, but it's not like this is an anime or something.

Now, something like Team Fortress 2, on the other hand, could work, since it's more of a subtle, paint/colored pencil type thing which is more in line with the Sam & Max look. But I think a drastic change in style would burn too many bridges and break too much continuity among the games. Something like what they did in episode 205, bringing back old characters and locations, wouldn't really work.
  • edited April 2008
    What I think would be cool, if there's a puzzle that involves playing an old 2D video game, and they go to play the game and you play it through in the LA style of Sam and Max, all pixely and nostalgic.
  • edited April 2008
    I dunno about a whole series, but it'd be interesting to see the characters cel-shaded for parts of the game if there was another Reality 2.0 style episode, or they go into a cartoon or something.

I'd be interested to see how they look cel-shaded, but I'm more han happy the way they are now.
  • edited April 2008
    Silly Bob wrote: »
    What I think would be cool, if there's a puzzle that involves playing an old 2D video game, and they go to play the game and you play it through in the LA style of Sam and Max, all pixely and nostalgic.

You mean like the VR game in Hit the Road?
  • edited April 2008
    AllenB wrote: »
    You mean like the VR game in Hit the Road?

Sorta, but the opposite, maybe they need to play an old game to solve a puzzle, and in the game they are classic Lucasarts styles of themselves.
  • edited April 2008
    tobar wrote: »
    I just wanna see that art test they did on Sam. :p

I would like to see that, too! Perhaps as a feature on the DvD... or something on the website, if there is a second "Summer of Sam and Max".
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    I'm pretty sure the "Summer of Sam & Max" this year is "Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People" :)
  • edited April 2008
    mmm how about something with the new comic drawing style (the big sleep)?
    http://telltalegames.com/community/comics/samandmax/
    I really like this drawing style. XD there hasn't been any 2d drawing quest games for a long time now...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.