205 with Telltale Music Extractor

edited April 2008 in Sam & Max
well, after playing every chapter so far, I used telltale music extractor and saved some of my favorite musics from the recent chapter.
it worked great, untill 205. for some reason, I can't play the ogg files it extracts (though the KB are right). I tried new codec packs, and I can play other ogg files. just not these for some reason...
is there another way to extract the music from the chapter?
I paid for the chapter with the music. I don't see any reason for it to be so hard to get. XD

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Amaterasu wrote: »
    I paid for the chapter with the music. I don't see any reason for it to be so hard to get. XD
    i would be careful with statements like that..having music ingame and as seperate files is not the same cup of soy sauce, i guess.
    the reason? i heard rumors about telltale selling a soundtrack to season one and maybe there will be one for second season as well. so why would they not want everybody to have a free copy of the music?...hmm.;)
  • edited April 2008
    well,
    a. because season 1 ost didn't have all the music.
    b. we don't have season 2 ost yet, and I don't want to wait for it.
    c. I can just record the music. it's not like it's something out of the game... most games use mp3's so people would be able to just take the music they like and listen to it out of home.

and,
    d. I don't see a reason not to buy the ost anyway. >,>
  • edited April 2008
    from what i gather they are now using a different form of compression to encrypt their sound files, to prevent the use of programs like that...

their stand on the issue is that if you want to go digging for the music files, go ahead... just don't post any of the extracted files, or software used to do the ripping anywhere on the net...
  • edited April 2008
    Dangerzone wrote: »
    from what i gather they are now using a different form of compression to encrypt their sound files, to prevent the use of programs like that...

their stand on the issue is that if you want to go digging for the music files, go ahead... just don't post any of the extracted files, or software used to do the ripping anywhere on the net...

Actually the compression is still the same... the header is just different! So the embedded Ogg file starts in a different spot than the Telltale Music Extractor is used to. So... HA! Serves you right for using someone else's tool! *does a little victory dance because he knows how to extract the OGGs from 205*
  • edited April 2008
    i never said i ever used any such programs... lol, but i do keep tabs on things like that

i always just turn on the game and leave it running... doubles as a screen saver and with cool music too, why would i want the music by itself?
  • edited April 2008
    Dangerzone wrote: »
    i never said i ever used any such programs... lol, but i do keep tabs on things like that

i always just turn on the game and leave it running... doubles as a screen saver and with cool music too, why would i want the music by itself?

*shrugs* I just like to set up a playlist while I'm working on something else and jam to Sam and Max music as I work. My computer's a bit too weak to leave Sam and Max up and running, because it takes it quite awhile for me to close it (Sam and Max) back down when I want to do something else.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    As far as I know (which isn't very far) we didn't fiddle with the sound files to screw up the extractor. We did it for all sorts of weird engine reasons. Being able to extract the files just got in the line of fire.
  • edited April 2008
    Will wrote: »
    As far as I know (which isn't very far) we didn't fiddle with the sound files to screw up the extractor. We did it for all sorts of weird engine reasons. Being able to extract the files just got in the line of fire.

A quick question I had about the game's engine... I'm guessing it's coded in C++, but is it a .Net or Win32 solution?
  • edited April 2008
    Win32 as far as I know.
  • edited April 2008
    Will wrote: »

thank everyone. ^^ InvaderJim helped me solve the problem.
    Will, how about using mp3's so that users can take the music with them everywhere they go easily? :D
  • edited April 2008
    We don't really design our tools with rippability in mind, sorry. Especially since we do sell soundtracks.
  • edited April 2008
    thank everyone. ^^ InvaderJim helped me solve the problem.
    Will, how about using mp3's so that users can take the music with them everywhere they go easily? :D

I can think of a couple of reasons why on me own.
    • OGG Vorbis is an open-source/free codec/standard, so there's no risk in having to pay royalties or other legal mumbo-jumbo. MP3 is not an open-source/standard codec, and I've heard mumblings about legal crap related to the MP3 codec.
    • OGG Vorbis offers much better compression for the same level of quality.
    • "OGG" just sounds cool. Like a caveman's grunt! "MP3" sounds too Apple-loving-elitist-jerkish to me.
  • edited April 2008
    well,
    a. because season 1 ost didn't have all the music.
    b. we don't have season 2 ost yet, and I don't want to wait for it.
    c. I can just record the music. it's not like it's something out of the game... most games use mp3's so people would be able to just take the music they like and listen to it out of home.

and,
    d. I don't see a reason not to buy the ost anyway. >,>
    I'm sorry, my English is bad.

Are you saying that you do not see a reason why you should buy the soundtrack because nobody has given you a reason why not to buy it?

-OR-

Are you saying you do se a reason to buy the soundtrack because of the whole second "not" cancelling out the first "not" thanks to that whole double-negative crap?
  • edited April 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    I'm sorry, my English is bad.

Are you saying that you do not see a reason why you should buy the soundtrack because nobody has given you a reason why not to buy it?

-OR-

Are you saying you do se a reason to buy the soundtrack because of the whole second "not" cancelling out the first "not" thanks to that whole double-negative crap?

"I don't see why I wouldn't but the soundtrack anyway" was essentially the message.

People would have to be crazy not to buy the soundtrack. The quality is SO much better. :)

But like many people, I like having those little songs that tend not to make it to the soundtrack list, so I'm going to keep trying to fiddle with the extractor.
  • edited April 2008
    I'm not too bothered about being able to rip the 205 soundtrack anyway. All I really want is the Mimesweeper music.
  • edited April 2008
    Audacity works fine as long as you have 'lame_enc.dll' to convert it.
  • edited April 2008
    I just wish Jared would release some more midi tracks. :D
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    What music was missing from the Season One soundtrack? (other than slightly different mixes of environment music for when you're in dialog)
  • edited April 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    What music was missing from the Season One soundtrack? (other than slightly different mixes of environment music for when you're in dialog)

The Hypno-Dream mix of the Office Theme (AKA Jared's Tribute to Twin Peaks)

And the Karaoke version of The COPS song, but I think we will get that in Season 2's soundtrack, since it is the background music for the set up screen.
  • edited April 2008
    Hypno-Dream was used for the credits of the Season 1 disk.
    C.O.P.S Instrumental wasn't until Season 2 (unless you count the sample in the concept art).
  • edited April 2008
    Hypno-Dream was used for the credits of the Season 1 disk.
    But it still wasn't on the CD Soundtrack.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.