So I told my Faust Teacher about 205...

edited June 2008 in Sam & Max
During the summer semester in my school, we offer a class about Satan. It's basically a Survey Class where we are introduced to the various representations of Satan and track where and how he started his decent into pretty much being the butt of contemporary culture's jokes. The class starts with his early representations (we're talking The Book of Gensis here) and then wanders through recent cartoons and movies.

Tonight at the Graduation Art Show, I told him about 205 and how TTG represents Satan. He finds the Hell LLC fasinating, as well as the idea of Satan being
"Middle Management" (I didn't tell him that the person more evil than Satan was a group of hated celebrity figures.)
. He got a kick out of the idea of enternal damnation being forced to work in a cubefarm as the clock forever ticks away at 4:59 and never advances to quitting time. He's got some issues about it always being Monday, however, since he believes it would be more torturous if it was eternally Friday at 4:59 PM. He understand the choice, however.

Anyway, I was able to talk him into using TTG's representation in his next class this summer and is going to collect images for him to use in the lecture. If anyone can help--including the staff--with this information gathering, please do not heistate to ask.

And CONGRATULATIONS, TELLTALE GAMES! You are now part of Academia!

Comments

• edited April 2008
    I'm pretty sure that Satan is middle-management anymore now that
    the Soda Poppers have taken a lava shower.
  • JaiJai
    edited April 2008
    I'm pretty surprised that he didn't think to ask who the upper management consisted of. Also, he's dead wrong about the "eternally Monday or eternally Friday" thing; it's far worse to know that the whole work week is still lying ahead of you. Still, that's pretty cool!
  • edited April 2008
    Oh, he asked. I just didn't tell him who was "more evil than Satan." I will once I get my packet together, but I'm keeping it vauge.
  • edited April 2008
    I think it would be a lot more torturous if it was eternally March 3, 2004... did you tell your teacher about that?
  • edited April 2008
    Waitohooru wrote: »
    I think it would be a lot more torturous if it was eternally March 3, 2004...[/SIZE]

Why? What's the big thing about that date? 16ao5mf.gif

re: the Monday/Friday thing, I'm with Zeek's teacher. The Monday's not as bad because it's eternally 4:59 anyway, so they're not going to see the rest of the week.
    But if it's Friday, they're always 1 minute away from the weekend.
  • edited April 2008
    But if it was Friday, no one would have been around at 4:59 anyway....
  • edited April 2008
    Waitohooru wrote: »
    I think it would be a lot more torturous if it was eternally March 3, 2004... did you tell your teacher about that?

I'm thinking an eternal April 28th, 2008 at 11:59 PM would be the worst torture of all. *coughGTAcough*
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    Zeek, I can get your teacher a copy of the game if he wants to play it. Send me a PM with his email address (if he's okay with that) and I'll set it up.
  • edited April 2008
    ^ That gives me an idea.

My... employer... yeah, employer... needs a free signed copy of Surfin' The Highway for... erm... studying the dangers of surfing on highways...

:p
  • edited April 2008
    Thanks a bunch, Emily, but unfortunately, he's not big into games of any kind. He's actually kind of a hippie, which makes the Faust Course that much more enjoyable. :D

If you guys have a demo reel or some kind of cutscene reel that you've put together, that would be best for the packet I'm making for him.
  • edited April 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    Thanks a bunch, Emily, but unfortunately, he's not big into games of any kind. He's actually kind of a hippie, which makes the Faust Course that much more enjoyable. :D

you lucky son of a b****... hippies make the BEST teachers! (lol!! but true)
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    If you guys have a demo reel or some kind of cutscene reel that you've put together, that would be best for the packet I'm making for him.

We don't have a cutscene reel yet, but we will be making one for the Season Two DVD. When do you need it by?
  • edited April 2008
    Well, I'm shooting for Thursday of this coming week, as this is the last full week of classes for the Spring Semester. Hence why I I've been taking screen shots like crazy. It even got to the point where I downloaded FRAPS just to give him a more rounded presentation of how you guys represent Hell.

Right now, my cutscene reel consists of The River Styx, most of Hell LLC's corporate identity, and some jokes from the "employees" of Hell I feel are appropriate for his class
    like how the FCC is the largest division of Hell and how Brady Culture was demoted to hourly once efficiency took a hit
    . I've stopped for the night so I can get some sleep after checking up on mail and message board postings and will figure out if I should (and how to) show that Hell has two parts: one devoted to those that were damned by their own sins and one devoted to those that were by Sam & Max.

That, and I'm still hunting for Faust and Divine Comedy jokes. You guys just loaded this episode with them!
    Ashton wrote: »
    you lucky son of a b****... hippies make the BEST teachers! (lol!! but true)
    That they do. If it wasn't for him, Intro to World Philosophy would be another "nap class."
  • edited April 2008
    Wow, this is ironic.

I was all set to burn my packet on to a CD for my teacher when I was suddenly bombarded with "File Corruption" errors on everything. My active files, my back-up files, even the back-up of my back-up files that were saved at an earlier phase in the project! Nothing I can do about it; the FRAPS portion of the packet apparently got possessed and doesn't want any part of it.

I guess I'll wait until next semester to give him the material after the Season 2 DVD comes out. :p
  • edited April 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »
    I'm thinking an eternal March 8th, 2008 at 11:59 PM would be the worst torture of all. *coughSSBBcough*

Fixed! :D
  • edited April 2008
    Agreed!
  • edited April 2008
    So yesterday I gave my Faust teacher a PowerPoint presentation CD and print out of all the screen shots and my observations of 205. I even included some press release information on the game so he knew what exactly he was looking at (Thanks, Emily!!). Upon handing it off to him, he started giggling like a school girl. I've never seen him done that before, but I took it as a good sign.

He got back to me today (I'm on the school's computer here in the design lab :D) with his comments that I'm forwarding to you guys at TTG via the forums.

He said that he finds the idea of Hell being a corporation unique as a subtle reference to the 80's when the big villian of the time was big corporation. The fact that Hell as been aggressively downsizing and out-sourcing jobs is a great commentary about the problems facing American workers today, which in his opinion makes Hell as a corporation even MORE evil than before!! He loved how the office is plastered with motivational posters for the seven deadly sins, as well as that picture-window view of what he believes is the city of Dis from Dante's Inferno. He liked the Tim Burton aesthetic of the design in particular. The various torture elements in the office were very interesting to him, particularly the pre-printed soul contracts. While he found the idea of The Living having a perminate record a bit cliche, he loved the new twist TTG put on it where the file gets thicker the more you sin. In past representations, he said it's never really stated what kind of information goes into your perminate record in the afterlife or even how much physical space it takes up.

He was very surprised as to how well thought out TTG was in designing the role of Satan as Middle Management. I can't remember exactly what he said, but he was praising you guys for your comprehensive understanding of how the power of the devil has been dropping in contemporary social and religious views. He also said that he liked the fact that Satan politely scolds the workers underneath him, linking it to how it's more hurtful to a person to be told that someone is disappointed in them rather than being told that someone dislikes them. Especially in a polite tone of voice!
    His favorite image that I supplied was from the animation loop of Satan on the streets begging for alms. He really got a kick out of the idea that Satan is so weak now that Hell had to fire him due to being inefficient.
    He agrees on my observation that The Soda Poppers represent the new evil of contemporary society, that being celebrity involvement in social arenas they really have no business in. My teacher has a personal and deep-running hatred for the fact that "The Terminator" is the govenor of a state, and after reading my observations and opinion, he believes TTG made the smart choice in making a hated celebrity figure be "more evil" than Satan

I also included in the presentation the changes to the river Styx and to the two stories from the creation myth.
    He thought it was a brillent modernization of the Forbidden Fruit to turn temptation into resisting a sales pitch for apple cider. He also found it hillarious that Girl Stinky was born when spare ribs were introduced to an inedible "mud pile" similar to how Eve was created.
    He liked the idea of Styx being a physical place with easy access, but didn't much care for the idea of The Soul Train. That was his only complaint. When he found out that Styx is in the sewers, he was expecting the boat to still be there covered with barnicles produced by fecal matter. He got a kick out of the poster advertising Virgil's tourist guide book and, much to my surprise, expressed a want to own a copy of the Pheleathon poster.

The only question he asked me was who where the three people in the stone slab behind Satan's throne/chair. He just wants to know if they are The Great Betrayers from Dante's Inferno or the traditional cameos from the game programers. I told him that it's not really said who they are, as the joke for that environment element is a reference to Star Wars. But he did get me wondering about that.

Either way, he did find the presentation and representation of Hell brillent and will definately use it now in his class this semester! Major kudo points to you guys, TTG!
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    If he liked the 80's style representation of Satan, you should show him the game trailer too (if you haven't already).
  • edited April 2008
    I didn't give him any video material because of some strange error I got when I tried to create my custom reel in WMM. Something about a lack of space, which is stupid because even the temporary file location had enough space for the reel, and I compressed the video to fit on a CD-R with the PowerPoint file.

I did mention it, however, but got no reaction from him yesterday. Didn't bring it up today when I saw him this morning. I'll bring it up again when I see him this summer. Hopefully by then the Season 2 DVD will be in my possession, so I can just pop it in and show him the trailer.
    edited April 2008
    You could just link him to it, so you don't have to worry about burning the CD.
  • edited April 2008
    He also found it hillarious that Girl Stinky was born when spare ribs were introduced to an inedible "mud pile" similar to how Eve was created.

Man, that joke completely went over my head! I'm surprised I missed it.
    I was just thinking that spare ribs was just another icky thing to add to the meal concoction and didn't even think about it being similar to the creation myth.
  • edited April 2008
    I just loved Bosco's horrified "I'm naked!" after drinking the cider. That was clever.
  • edited April 2008
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I just loved Bosco's horrified "I'm naked!" after drinking the cider. That was clever.

Another joke to the creation myth. :) And it was part of my video reel before the computer said "No! You're not burning this to CD!"
  • edited April 2008
    Me too!
  • edited April 2008

Hehe, yeah, I did manage to pick up on that one. Although I hope that was the last we've seen of Naked Bosco, but given the fact that he's apparently snapped... I fear we'll be seeing plenty more of him in his birthday suit.
  • edited May 2008
    God, I hope not. If so, I hope he stays behind the counter then.
  • edited June 2008
    Sad news to deliver today.

Due to a lack of student enrollment, this year's course of the study of Satan's representation in art and contemporary media has been cancelled. :(

The good news is that my teacher will now have time to adjust the course to give TTG more than a single class "touch-and-go" style meantion of their representation of Hell and Satan. Here's hoping you get a full three-hour session instead of just twenty minutes!
  • edited June 2008
    So...I guess the class went to hell?

*grin!* Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    edited June 2008
    I have trouble understanding how a class on Satan's representation could have a lack of enrollment. That sounds pretty damn awesome to me. Certainly better than the Romanticism course I took (despite the obvious overlap in texts).
  • edited June 2008
    Will, it's a summer course as well as a Philosophy credit class. By this time, a lot of people already got that credit for their degrees, as it is part of our General Education Foundation to take Intro to Philosophy as one of your required foundation courses.

Technically, you can take it as a Liberal Arts Elective, which was my case, but since they only offer it in the summer, a lot of people don't know about it. They rather just veg for three months instead of take a five week course that meets four days out of the week for three hours (most of the later classes involving watching movies). Strange, I know.

And yet, for some reason, we had a Lord of the Rings class which studied the literal structure of the mythic hero's journey that fell during the Fall semester...

And the year before I was accepted, they had a Spring class titled "The Ethics of Star Trek" where, according to the class description, they would watch the first season of the original Star Trek TV show and then discuss the morals the show presented both in the context of its original air date and in contemporary society as we knew it back in 2002....
Sign in to comment in this discussion.