Friend's Problem with Season Two

edited April 2008 in Game Support
So, a friend of mine wanted to try Sam and Max Season Two, so I installed the entire season for her. Unfortunately, during the "Setup Wizard" after unlocking and launching Ice Station Santa, I couldn't see her computer's main resolution (1280x768), and then the the game, in a sense, froze. The COPS still hovered, however, the music still played, and I could move the mouse, but I couldn't click anything. I had to Alt-Tab to her desktop, and end the file "Telltale Games" running. After that, the whole game seems stretched across her screen. The specs (as far as I know) of the computer in question:

Some kinda Toshiba laptop
Windows XP Service Pack 2
Intel 915 Chipset (what my laptop uses to run Season Two, it supports my laptop's highest resolution [1280x800] just fine.)
1280x768 (irregular monitor) resolution monitor
DirectX 9.0c March Update (or the latest update, for that matter)
56.8 GB of available hard drive space.

I remember Will or tabbaco once saying that Sam and Max Season Two gets its resolutions straight from Windows. Windows lists 1280x768 as the default resolution, but apparently, Sam and Max Season Two didn't read it. Any idea on how to fix this?

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    1280x768 is a widescreen resolution. Sounds like the game is running in a standard 4:3 resolution, which is why it looks stretched.

You can change the resolution independent of the setup wizard, just click the gear in the upper left corner to bring up the menus, go to Options, and select whichever resolution you want from the list. It'll only display resolutions her monitor / video card will support (and it should show any resolutions her computer will support, but if 1280x768 isn't there, you should be able to choose another widescreen resolution that's close enough.)

For what it's worth, the Intel 915 chipset isn't supported - it may still work fine but if you run into performance problems, that could be why.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    Unfortunately, 1280x768 is one of those weird laptop resolutions that isn't 16x9 or 4x3 (almost all resolutions are one of those two). Due to limitations with choreographing the games, we had to limit the resolution choices to those two aspect ratios.

Probably the easiest solution is to load up the game and hit alt+enter to run it in windowed mode. That should let you play the game in a window and not have to worry about stretching it to a weird resolution. And you will probably want to play in 1024x768 or lower.
  • edited April 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    (and it should show any resolutions her computer will support, but if 1280x768 isn't there, you should be able to choose another widescreen resolution that's close enough.)

For what it's worth, the Intel 915 chipset isn't supported - it may still work fine but if you run into performance problems, that could be why.

Alright,

1. Thank you, Emily and Will for the info.
    2. Maximum resolution for Sam and Max Season Two on her laptop is 1024x768.
    3. My Intel 915 runs Sam and Max Season Two perfectly at my laptop's 1280x800 resolution.
    4. Looks like Windowed Mode is the only option for proper display.
This discussion has been closed.