So...do I need more RAM?

edited May 2008 in Game Support
So I played and loved Season One of Sam and Max (it's great!). Yesterday I bought Season Two, and I put the graphics on high. The music and game stuttered, I mean during the opening cutscene.

So I lowered the graphics quality and it ran smoothly enough, except it takes around five seconds to load a room. So my question: do I need more RAM or something? Can I actually update my laptop to the point where I can play Sam and Max smoothly on high graphics?

Thanks.

Comments

• edited April 2008
    .... Or it could be your graphics card, or your processor. S2 is more intensive on the ol' video card and processor then S1 was. As far as I know, you need a:

1.5 GHz Processor
    128 MB video card
    512 MB of RAM minimum, 1 or 2 GB of RAM recommended, 3 GB is over the top (what I use on my desktop :D)

Run DxDiag and see if your PC can meet these requirements.
  • edited April 2008
    Hmm, thanks. Let's see:

Processor: 410 @ 1.46 GHz, ~ 1.5GHz
    Memory: 1406 RAM

Can't find my graphics card here though. Unless if it's the memory, which is 574 MB.

Hmm...so I need to increase the GHz :P
  • SegSeg
    edited April 2008
    For information on your Graphics card:

1) Right-click on the desktop.
    2) Click "Properties"
    3) Click the "Settings" tab.
    4) Click "Advanced"
    5) Click "Adapter"

This panel will give you the information you're looking for. The "Adapter Type" being the make and model of your graphics card. Under Adapter Information" you'll see a field called "Memory Size". This is the amount of memory for the graphics card (which is different from RAM).

I would venture to guess that you're running an Integrated graphics card. An integrated graphics card is one that 'borrows' from the system memory. Integrated graphics cards are not the best cards to work with. They cut corners in order to lower costs with the intent for basic Windows graphic needs, not 3D graphics. The memory sharing from RAM is just one of many 'cost saving' measures that result in crazy issues. It doesn't matter what you have on that computer, the graphics card is usually the lowest common denominator.

With a laptop, the best you can do is update the drivers and DirectX. You can't really replace the graphics card on laptops and more RAM still won't clear up any existing problems.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2008
    Also, try and turn off as many background programs as possible.
This discussion has been closed.