Keybinds

edited October 2013 in The Wolf Among Us

Is there no way to redefine keys?
I can't believe something like that in a 2013 game... did I miss some option, or some button?
There is seriously no way to redefine the keybinds?

Comments

• i have the exact same question.
    I have an azerty keyboard and it's frustrating to play

• There is really no way to redefine them? I tried looking for an .ini or something similar to manually edit them, but found nothing...

I really hope they'll fix this with next episodes.

• It is really lame that they would have no way to rebind keys. I also hope they fix this issue.

• What would you want to rebind? there is mouseclick, 4 keys for movement and an action key. Not much to rebind anyway, it's not like an RPG with 20 different hotkeys. I find the WASD+Q works fine. If you are lefthanded you might even use arrowkeys. I see no problem?

• Not everyone has QWERTY keyboards.

Even if everyone did, it's an expected thing for a PC game to have redefinable controls, OP asking for something like this is not asking for anything above the norm.

dubesor posted: »

What would you want to rebind? there is mouseclick, 4 keys for movement and an action key. Not much to rebind anyway, it's not like an RPG wit

• If you have a weird keyboard like AZERTY layout and the like you can go to your keyboard settings and simply change the layout to qwertz or qwerty. That way you have no issues playing. It takes 1 minute to change it.

Could they have changed the settings? Sure. But it's not that big of a deal as people make it out to be.

Translated subtitles would have been much more important imho. At least major languages like Spanish, German, Russian.

• edited October 2013

I have a QWERTY keyboard, but I use ESDF, not WASD, since my Quake 2 days (=a very long time).

It's extremely annoying and frustrating trying to move around and do QTEs with WASD when you're accustomed differently.
    Besides, it's 2013... every game needs to have that option.

• I have over 600 games in Steam, I would say at least a quarter of them wouldn't support ESDF configurations. So don't make it sound like every game out there supports custom keys. Not even close. .Despite, when you are used to that layout, moving each of your fingers ~1.5cm to the left would end up perfectly in WASD. Some people are just bored and like to complain about extremely minor stuff. In the end there is always the option of not supporting the developer (=not buying the game) if you feel this such a gamebreaking issue for you. Sigh.

• Okay, I've just registered to express my disappointment, that this game doesn't allow customization for key bindings.
    I, for example, use the numpad for movements and many actions. Many games support this (but yes, a few needed a little help). There is really no excuse these days not to let users choose their own key layout.

For now I've found a workaround (GlovePIE), but of course I have to "translate" the onscreen hints to my layout (okay, 5 keys I can handle :-))

(And sorry for the necro, but I felt this deserved another bump)

• I know this is an old thread but i have a solution to the problem.
    I use quite weird keys/mouse in games and sometimes run into problems like this, when games don't have "full key/buttonbinding freedom".
    Recently i found a brilliant software that solves the problem: AutoHotkey (http://www.autohotkey.com/)

1. Download AutoHotkey and install.
    2. Open notepad and copy/paste the below text/script.

?#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.

SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.

SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

?#InstallMouseHook

?#InstallKeybdHook

?#IfWinActive, Telltale Games

RButton::s

LButton::w

z::d

LCtrl::LButton

1. Remove the question marks (?) in the script (the four lines should start with # and not ?#. for some reason i couldn't start a new line with # in my comment) and save the file as: TheWolf.ahk
    2. Double-click the file TheWolf.ahk (it automatically starts up AutoHotkey) before you start the game.

Explanation:
    The following rows in the script are my keybindings:

RButton::s -- bind right mouse button to key "s", which means i will walk backward with right mouse button.

LButton::w -- bind left mouse button to key "w", which means i will walk forward with left mouse button.

z::d -- bind key "z" to key "d", which means i will walk right with key "z".

LCtrl::LButton -- bind left Ctrl key to left mouse button, this actually moves the original left mouse button function (select action) to the left Ctrl key.

Obviously, you must edit the file with your own preferred bindings.
    The help section in AutoHotkey is pretty good and not too hard to understand.

Just for information, AutoHotkey also solved my mouse problem in Mafia II. In Mafia II it isn't possible to bind mouse buttons to walk forward/backward.

Sorry for possible bad language, i'm pretty tired and also english is not my native language.

Cheers!

• edited October 2015

I have over 600 games in Steam, I would say at least a quarter of them wouldn't support ESDF configurations. So don't make it sound like every game out there supports custom keys. Not even close. .Despite, when you are used to that layout, moving each of your fingers ~1.5cm to the left would end up perfectly in WASD

So, those games are crap. Your point?
    And you evidently never heard of muscle memory or correct typing hands positions.

dubesor posted: »

I have over 600 games in Steam, I would say at least a quarter of them wouldn't support ESDF configurations. So don't make it sound like every

• I know this is a little late to comment but this is my solution and i think by far the easiest if you have an AZERTY keyboard..

Again if you have an AZERTY keyboard, all you need to do is change it to QWERTY

For windows 7: press shift and alt at the same time
    For windows 8 & 10: press the windows key and the spacebar at the same time

The safest thing to do, is changing your AZERTY to QWERTY while your game is running

Cheers!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.