What if they were to make a Tv series of The wolf Among us.

I think that would be real cool. I mean they made series of TheWalkingDead. And, it's doing great. I think that the best actor to play Bigby wolf would be Hugh Jackman. He would be perfect for the part. What are your guys thoughts on this. I'd really like to see all the different opinions out there.

Comments

• edited October 2013

A few years ago one NBC was in talks to make a Fables series. A script was written and everything, but it was never developed. Then NBC produced Grimm. Then in 2008, ABC picked up the rights to develop the pilot. Again, it didn't go anywhere and ABC went on to produce Once Upon A Time. Last news is that it may be in development for a live action film.

I think Hugh Jackman would make a great Bigby. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fables_(comics)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=45866

• I remember hearing news of a tv series in the works for Fables, but it fell apart. The last I heard there was a live action movie in the works though.
    Link

• I haven't watched it but isnt that show Once upon a time pretty much the same concept?

• edited October 2013

Nah. I mean, it's fairytale characters in the real world, but it's still different. It's nowhere near as dark and there are lots of other things that are different about it. A lot of hardcore Fables fans balked at Once Upon A Time when it came out because ABC had picked up the rights to do a Fables pilot, then for whatever reason that project was dropped. But, right after that they developed OUAT. The writers admitted that they read some Fables issues, but said they felt like even though both shared a similar idea, they weren't actually trying to base OUAT on Fables or anything. Some fans just felt like it was too coincidental that they developed OUAT right after they showed an interest in the Fables script.

I haven't really watched enough of the show to figure out whether or not I personally think it was Fables inspired.

Retodd posted: »

I haven't watched it but isnt that show Once upon a time pretty much the same concept?

• edited October 2013

i would say josh holloway would be a great Bigby

Alt text

Alt text

i think fables may have influenced Once Upon a Time, but i think in reality they were both inspired by the same thing, which is old fables, just as so many other things are

• edited October 2013

Okay, now it will be a bit of my complains. Party Pooper strikes again!

Personally I don't like title of this thread. The Wolf Among Us is a game based on a comic series Fables. Since it's canon, I like to think about 'The Wolf Among Us' as an title of Fables comicbook (like Legends in Exile, March of Wooden Soldiers etc.). Proper title of thread should be ' What if they were to make a tv series of Fables'. That makes sense then, cause is paying attention to all universe, not just things we'll see in this game.
    And on TWAU's facebook we could read Bill Willingham's message about TWAU's scenario and how great it is. He also mentioned why there was no tv-series or movies so far. I'll quote that part:

"Fables has been shopped around for a movie or TV show almost right from the launch of the series. On two different occasions the possible, maybe, could be deal (which is as far as most projects go out there) resulted in scripts for a Fables TV pilot (and in each case the script was never filmed as a pilot).

In both cases, when I was eventually allowed to read them, the scripts told me the same thing: whoever wrote these stories never read Fables, or didn’t like what they’d read, or simply thought they’d do something different to put their own personal “stamp” on the story. Even the one that was a pretty good fairy tale story, in the most generic sense, was a lousy Fables story. Except for using some of the same names for characters they bore little resemblance to the Fables comic book series."

So, I wouldn't expecting any tv series soon. But maybe some day they'll find someone who will be able to write good Fables script.

Josh Holloway as Bigby? No, I would see him more like a Jack, if as anyone.

• I think you mean "What if they made a tv series of Fables?" And yes, they should make tv show of Fables.

Though to do it properly, it should be a channel like FX or HBO.

• edited October 2013

Seeing as how they were trying to do a Fables tv show before moving on to do Once Upon a Time, it was more than just being inspired by Fables.

Either way, Fables did it first.

i would say josh holloway would be a great Bigby i think fables may have influenced Once Upon a Time, but i think in reality they were both inspired by the same thing, which is old fables, just as so many other things are

• They should make the tv show. That will be really great.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

I will keep insisting that Stan Lee will make a great Jersey.

Alt text
    Alt text

• I think it would great show, Maybe with TWAU done they could add new stories with TWAU storyline.

• I feel like Robin Thicke would make a good Bigby. maybe cuz of that "get her back" music video where his face was all beaten up and bloody lol
  • What would it be if , after a bunch of episodes you would have an option which will play all your actions like in a movie. Add videos about him traveling from place to place , a bunch of more things and fixes , and after all this you would get a moive about your own story. :D Like the cutscenes from the start of any episodes. Wouldn`t that be cool?
  • There have been so many attempts to make one I doubt they will try again, especially with the movie coming out soon. And I'd personally rather see a S2 of TWAU than them trying to incorporate it into a TV show.
  • edited July 2014
    If only he was band and 50.
    dojo32161 posted: »

• If they did it, then the *only* way I can see it working is if they make it an HBO series or something, as has been mentioned in this thread already. Just because they tried before does not mean that they can't try again. And the earlier script was written for regular television (and even Willingham said that it was a far cry from his books), so I'd imagine that if someone were to start from scratch and write a new script specifically for a channel like HBO, it could actually go somewhere.

Right now I'm content to wait on the movie, though. And I'm really hoping that Telltale will bring us a second season of The Wolf. :)

There have been so many attempts to make one I doubt they will try again, especially with the movie coming out soon. And I'd personally rather see a S2 of TWAU than them trying to incorporate it into a TV show.

• That already exists. It's called Once Upon a Time.
  • edited July 2014
    Definitely not the same thing. I've watched OUAT since the first post I made to this thread and... yeah. It's so Disney. Basically Disney movie meets soap opera. Definitely nothing like a Fables TV show should be. I honestly don't like it because I'm spoiled by how much more interesting the Fables universe is.
    ralo229 posted: »

That already exists. It's called Once Upon a Time.

• I think huge jackman would make a good bigby wolf

• i also think josh holloway would make a good bigby. his character on lost reminded me. he just needs to bulk up a bit lol.

• edited November 2015

Thats an awesome idea! And I think Hugh Jackman would be the perfect actor for it!

• I think the premise would lend itself really well to a TV series. If it were to happen, I might be prompted to actually watch TV for a change. If I could be prompted to try reading a comic book series, anything's possible.

• Nope. Nope again. And one last NOPE for emphasis.

Comics and video games are treated like jokes when they are adapted. Either they hire awful actors or butcher the original source's plot.

TWD TV show is a prime example.

The comics are amazing and capture post-apocalyptic survival perfectly with gritty atmosphere, no protagonists who are just moral good guys, and excellent emphasis on the characters over the gore. In the show it is more about awesome zombie killing, B-movie horror plots, and some characters who are straight up good guys (Tyreese) and poorly developed villains (The Governor). The show has no heart and doesn't want to tackle the truly dark moral dilemmas TWD comics do. It instead wants to make as much money as possible by "Hollywooding" all the story elements and inserting crappy love triangles or cockteases. Not to mention the exclusion of comic moments fans like myself were waiting to see adapted for years.

And that right there is the problem. If TWAU or Fables were to be adapted it wouldn't be a pure, 100% accurate adaptation. Its themes and story elements would also have a "Hollywood spin" put on them and everything cliched. Characters would become parodies of their source counterparts and important moments would be completely left out. The show producers would ruin it and taint the source material just to make money.

TWD has already been crapped on. I am begging TWAU or Fables doesn't suffer the same fate until a network comes along that is willing to do a pure adaptation.

• edited January 2015

For a joke, The walking dead sure is popular and loved.

Dawnbreaker posted: »

Nope. Nope again. And one last NOPE for emphasis. Comics and video games are treated like jokes when they are adapted. Either they hire a

• Just because something is popular doesn't mean it is good.

TWD TV show is easy viewing and doesn't require too much thought processing to understand what is going on in the characters minds. It has dumbed itself down to gain viewers and make money.

Using your logic we could call all independent comics crap because they are unpopular. Which is a flawed statement just reading it.

For a joke, The walking dead sure is popular and loved.

• I don't know how you got that logic, but okay then.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it is good. TWD TV show is easy viewing and doesn't require too much thought processing to

• The same way you got your logic, bub: pulling it from the ass.

I don't know how you got that logic, but okay then.

• You know that TWD TV Series is different from the source material because IT HAD TO BE right!?

Robert Kirkman himself confirmed in an interview that there are things in the comic that would get the TV Series banned very quickly, things like: Child murder, graphic scenes of rape, violently gratuitous torture... You think things like these would be shown on-screen for a TV Series?

No. Didn't think so...

The same way you got your logic, bub: pulling it from the ass.

• I agree with Josh Holloway. I think if it was Hugh Jackman, everybody would just think he was a copy of wolverine. Holloway could definitely pull off the roll.

i would say josh holloway would be a great Bigby i think fables may have influenced Once Upon a Time, but i think in reality they were both inspired by the same thing, which is old fables, just as so many other things are

• Alt text

HazzatheMan posted: »

You know that TWD TV Series is different from the source material because IT HAD TO BE right!? Robert Kirkman himself confirmed in an int

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited January 2015

It wouldn't be as good if it was 100% accurate. It's better to have a spin on it for entertainment purposes. I read the comics, I just finished All-Out War Part 1, and I appreciate that the show differs so I'm not 100% spoiled.

There are plenty of times adaptations are better than the original source material, i.e. The Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, Planet of the Apes, Star Wars (A New Hope had a story written before it), Jaws, X-Men: Days of Future Past etc.

Kirkman doesn't think the comics are perfect. He regrets making Rick lose his hand among others, which he can now stop from happening in the show.

And the whole idea that important moments being left out isn't very true. The main plot is followed, most deaths happen at the same time in the adaptation, like Herschel's, and some cool, new things happen.

Nope. Nope again. And one last NOPE for emphasis. Comics and video games are treated like jokes when they are adapted. Either they hire a

• Actually I do know and that is a poor, poor excuse for the crappy adaptions the show has done.

Child murder? Shown blatantly on-screen in the show in S4 episode 14.

Torture? The Governor gets his eye pierced out with glass and Andrea was tormented by The Governor in 'Prey.'

It would be easy to show the torture scene on the show. Seeing The Governor's arm chopped off wouldn't be too bad and his eye gouged out would be accepted because of the glass piercing on the show. Him getting castrated isn't even shown in the comic so it could be done off-screen on the show.

Furthermore the rap scene in the comic is only implied through dialogue in the comic. It could be done off-screen on the show using sound bites of Michonne screaming. Not particularly hard to do.

Still, this censorship doesn't make an excuse for the terrible handling of comic characters such as Tyreese and Andrea. Both are nothing like their popular comic counterparts and were poorly written on the show. Maybe it is because an original TV character like Daryl has been shoved down the audience's throats for 4 seasons now and steals comic storylines from new characters who need them to develop a fanbase. Maybe it is because the writers can't plot coherent storylines and this is proven with the whole horrible Woodbury vs. Prison show storyline. Maybe it is because 12 out of the 16 episodes in a season are packed full of padding and filler because the writers half-ass because they know the casual audience will eat it up.

Now I don't actually watch the show anymore, so I am not sure if it had an upswing in quality. However, I am pretty sure it is still crapping filler plotlines out the ass and turning comic characters fans like myself had been waiting to see on the small screen for years into unrecognizable abominations of characters. It really, REALLY sucks when you have waited patiently for years to see your favorite comic come to life only for it to be thoroughly butchered and half-assed by a corrupt network to make a bit of extra cash.

What would you do if they turned Snow White in a Fables adaption into a peace mongering idiot who wasn't a badass at all? You'd be pretty pissed off as a fan right? In fact, you would be just like I was when Andrea from TWD comic got the exact same treatment on the show: thoroughly pissed the fuck off.

I love Fables and don't want the same fate to befall it. Until there is a network willing to respect the material and not milk it for cash an adaption shouldn't happen. Period.

HazzatheMan posted: »

You know that TWD TV Series is different from the source material because IT HAD TO BE right!? Robert Kirkman himself confirmed in an int

• Lol, I'm re-watching Lost series, and I started searching just to see if in fact Josh Holloway ''WAS'' the Bigby character...His twin 100%

shitwolf posted: »

i also think josh holloway would make a good bigby. his character on lost reminded me. he just needs to bulk up a bit lol.

• LOL, GOT HER....!

I don't know how you got that logic, but okay then.

• ErykaEryka Banned

Omg yes. We need this.

• It would be better as anime

• I would definitely be hyped for such a thing. Though, it would be hard to not be wary of how much they would extend their art licenselo. Regardless of it's quality, however, I can almost guarentee that I would binge watch the shit out of it simply because I like Fables. Two shitty Hitman movies proved as much.

• Terry crews would be a perfect Bigby

• edited May 2016

Maybe Michael Cudlitz as Jersey? If they make him half bald.. enter image description here

dojo32161 posted: »

• And get a crappy eng dub, no thanks.

It would be better as anime

Sign in to comment in this discussion.