Dead/No Longer Available (205 Spoilers within)

edited May 2008 in Sam & Max
When episode 205 first came out, everyone was wondering if the Soda P***ers were really done for good. Someone from Telltale said that the rights to the characters had expired, so they felt the need to off them.

My question is this: how would the rights to the characters expire? Were they not creations of Telltale, thus be able to use them as much as possible? I mean, is it not the same as, say, Sybil? Or (even if they appeared in the old comics) Bosco or Flint?

I'm just really curious. I don't mind if the Soda P***ers never come back, to be honest. I couldn't stand them, but the fact that Sam & Max voiced those same opinions made me feel better. They really were freakin' annoying, but in that "love to hate them" kind of way.

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2008
    Hahah what? Someone said the rights to the characters expired? I think they might have been joking if they said that. That would be pretty extreme, if they were killed off for legal reasons. Sadly, not the case. People just thought it would be funny if the Poppers were the lords of Hell.
  • MelMel
    edited May 2008
    When episode 205 first came out, everyone was wondering if the Soda P***ers were really done for good. Someone from Telltale said that the rights to the characters had expired, so they felt the need to off them.

I believe that was a joke. See the second page of this thread (which has a link to the original joke comment).
  • edited May 2008
    Ah, Mel's link had the link to the original comment, I believe. Here's the quote:
    Originally Posted by Chuck
    No, it's because Telltale's license agreement for the Soda Poppers characters runs out in June of 2008, so we can no longer use them in future seasons.
  • edited May 2008
    Yes... that was a joke.
  • edited May 2008
    Ugh. Never mind. I'm just an idiot. I didn't get that it was a joke.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2008
    Its okay. We got the Poppers' lawyer to drop the libel suit so you so ignore any paperwork that might arrive.
  • MelMel
    edited May 2008
    I wonder what kind of lawyer the Soda Poppers would hire? :D
  • edited May 2008
    Was this comment --
    Chuck wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean, "how much hate you guys got?" Nobody ever mentioned not liking them on the forums.
    -- also a joke? Because I find it harder to believe. I wouldn't mind seeing them again, if and only if they're featured with ample opportunity to abuse them.
  • edited May 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxBIBybPjMU

A lawyer from Hell? Piece of cake.
  • edited May 2008
    lol, welcoem to the club, so far I know of four people that got pwn'd by that post! we'll soon have enough people to start our own brothel! (dont ask, it was a random comment...)
  • edited May 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    People just thought it would be funny if the Poppers were the lords of Hell.

Ya, people also thought it would be funny if the Poppers die. XD
    Thanks!

>next on the list... Sybil and Abe... hmm hmmm after-wedding-crash, good opening for next season...<
  • edited May 2008
    What a nice idea in every new season another recurring character gets offed. And in Season 12 or so Sam and Max get offed. hmmmm .... wait ... no, that would not make any sense at all. Because we want a lot more of sam and max in the future.

now on a more serious note: i dont mind losing abe in some way. he is a bit annoying and has too little character depth.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.