Sam & Max 201 Doesn't start

edited May 2008 in Game Support
Episode 201 doesn't start at all. It shows the hourglass cursor for a second or two and then nothing.
No launcher, nothing. It shows up in task manager processes for that time and then disappears.

I've tried 202 also and it works without a hinch.

I discovered that the launcher starts in win95 compatibility mode, but as soon as I try to log in, it shuts down.
I have a fairly fresh winxp install with SP2 (1 month) and I also installed SP3, but it didn't do the trick.

Even though I bought the game, I'm using a cracked exe because that's the only way I could make the game run.
But I would still like to know why it doesn't run with the original exe, hence this post.
It must be a software conflict of somekind?

Thank you, I love your games and Sam&Max in general. :)

Specs: C2D E6400, GF8800GTS, 4Gb 800MHz DDR2, Audigy 2 ZS, Asus P5B Dlx

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2008
    Most likely, you probably just needed to redownload the game. I'm guessing the file might have gotten slightly corrupted in your initial download. Also, I *think* the secuRom settings were slightly higher for 201, but that almost always throws an error of some sort so I'm leaning away from that being the problem.
  • edited May 2008
    Actually I downloaded the episode probably 10 times again trying to get it to work. :/
    I have daemon tools installed, also tried shutting it down and disabling the virtual drives. That didn't help either.

I still hope there would be a solution to this as it's bothering me if my config has something wrong with it in general. :confused:

Oh, and also tried deleting prefs.prop and installed new display adapter drivers, but to no avail.

+ also tried shutting down antivirus and firewall during install and start
    edited May 2008
    When you disabled Daemon Tools, did you reboot the system with it disabled from startup? It could still have some clinging files. Also, do you have Process Explorer or any other debugging tools installed?
  • edited May 2008
    I didn't try to reboot, but my friend also has Daemon tools installed and it worked for him.
    I don't have any debugging software installed, at least that I know of.

I'll try again as a test to end all non critical processes and try to start it up that way.
  • edited May 2008
    Tried to end every process that wasn't a critical system process.
    Didn't help either. :(

Anyone have any suggestions?
    How are the copy protection settings tighter in episode 1 and why?
    That may be the cause because episode 2 works fine.
  • edited May 2008
    I found the culprit by using a file monitoring tool! It was Outpost firewall.

I saw entries in the log that had the sam&max executable and some of them showed outpost in the entries.
    Apparently it doesn't actually shut down even when shut down. :eek:

I uninstalled it, used windows firewall and everything worked fine.

Thanks for your help, finally I get to play the real bought version. ;)
    edited May 2008
    Weird! Glad you got it working!
  • edited May 2008
    why is a single-user computer game trying to make outbound connections?
  • edited May 2008
    Because the launcher goes out to our website to grab community info. It also hits the internet for activation and when you log in.
This discussion has been closed.