Will there be a boxed retail version?

edited October 2008 in Sam & Max
Similar to season one, will there be a retailed box version? Call me old fashioned, but I do enjoy the old boxed version that I buy off the shelves at a store. Will there be one for season two?

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2008
    Yep, but the who/what/when/where details are still being nailed down.

Of course there's also Telltale's DVD release, coming fairly soon (probably in the June/July time frame). If you buy the Season Two downloads you can get the DVD for just the cost of shipping, and it'll have a nice new painting by Steve on the package!
  • edited May 2008
    If Season One came out on the PC, then so will Season Two. Might be especially true with the Wii Versions.
  • edited May 2008
    I hope so, cos I'm waiting for that rather than downloading. GET A MOVE ON.
  • edited May 2008
    It is amazing how much time we have to spend keeping up with all these posts when we should be working. Weird. ;)
  • edited May 2008
    Should I be cracking a whip?
  • edited May 2008
    Screw the retail version. The Telltale version will melt your faces!

Us:
    toht.jpg
  • edited May 2008
    Will season one and two be sold packaged together?
  • edited May 2008
    This isn't Wal-Mart.
  • edited May 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    This isn't Wal-Mart.

Not necessarily what I'm saying. It would be a great way to showcase the series at Comic-Con, possibly even get the product into retail shops, exponentially increase the interest with the Sam & Max Wii games.
  • edited May 2008
    Zootch wrote: »
    Not necessarily what I'm saying. It would be a great way to showcase the series at Comic-Con, possibly even get the product into retail shops, exponentially increase the interest with the Sam & Max Wii games.

But they are in retail shops. (Well Season 2 will be eventually)
  • edited May 2008
    huh... that was actually something I didn't know...

I am now going to search for stores that carry it. I hate ordering stuff online, between shipping time and added costs; it's an unfun experience.
  • edited May 2008
    Pssh, buying things from the internet is fun! It's a world where almost nothing is unattainable, where you can find things you never thought possible. It's the ultimate flea market. (It's just like, it's just like, a mini-mall!)
  • edited May 2008
    Telltales version is also different from the retail version (and much much better in my opinion in terms of packaging and bonus content)
  • MelMel
    edited May 2008
    This isn't Wal-Mart.

Someone asked this question in another subforum.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5160
  • edited May 2008
    Zootch wrote: »
    huh... that was actually something I didn't know...

I am now going to search for stores that carry it. I hate ordering stuff online, between shipping time and added costs; it's an unfun experience.

Psst... Ordering Telltale games online has no shipping time, if you download them! (Well, I guess a few minutes to download the ~100Mb per episode).

It's only the delivery time for the disc version.
  • edited May 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Telltales version is also different from the retail version (and much much better in my opinion in terms of packaging and bonus content)

oh, so the copy I would buy at Wal-Mart would be different from one I order here...
  • MelMel
    edited May 2008
    Yes. The only way to get the Telltale version is to get the download episodes. When the disk is done, they send you an email asking if you want it and if you do, it's only the cost of shipping it to you.

For Season 1:

Telltale DVD

Retail version from The Adventure Company (this was for N. America. JoWood published in Europe).

They each have extras, but they are a little different. You can look at them and see which one you would prefer. :)
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2008
    Well, they aren't significantly different in terms of gameplay. There have been some slight code updates to our versions over the past year that aren't in the store-bought version, but that's about it. Besides that, the difference is in bonus content and game wrapper.
  • edited May 2008
    And the fact the the box art is an original done by Steve Purcell on our version.
  • Great! In fact I'm waiting for the boxed version to buy.

Will there still be dubbed versions in French and German?
  • edited May 2008
    Great! In fact I'm waiting for the boxed version to buy.

Will there still be dubbed versions in French and German?

As far as I know, the dubbed versions are only available on the European release by JoWood (correct me if I'm wrong).

The German dubbing of Season One is rather bad though - Max is voiced by Sandra Schwittau who also does Bart Simpson...
  • edited October 2008
    Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I thought it'd be appropriate to keep this question here. Any word on when the DVD might make it to retail outlets? I'm guessing that website orders are being filled prior to a stock being built up for retail sale.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2008
    We haven't announced any retail plans for Season Two yet, but if/when that happens, it would likely be handled similarly to the Sam & Max Season One retail -- with a publishing partner, and probably a different version of the disc with slightly different presentation, packaging, etc. When we have something to say, we'll of course say it, but for now there's no news. :)

Of course the Season Two DVD is available in the Telltale Store on this very site :).
  • edited October 2008
    Any idea if the packaging in the retail version will be similar to Season One's? (metallic case and such). Because that's the only thing (and well, Spanish subs so that my little sister can play, you should consider adding them in the downloadable version even if it's through a patch some time later) that has been preventing me from buying Season 2's dvd in Telltale Store for months :p And trust me, after S1 holding on for so long is not easy at all :( Hope it won't take too long to start saying the same thing about Season 3.

By the way, great job with Sam & Max and Strong Bad, keep it up :D
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2008
    We didn't even know that some European territories would be receiving the game in a metal case. That's a fairly rare commodity, if you go worldwide (most places either got a regular paperboard box, or a DVD snapcase), so I wouldn't count on whatever retail configuration Season Two ends up in being that neat. I mean, you never know (we certainly don't know yet, because nothing exists yet re: Season Two retail), but another tin might be a tall order.
  • edited October 2008
    Yeah, it's pretty rare (and the price was lower than usual too, 30€ when most new games are released at a 45/50€ pricepoint). Even better value for an already very good purchase hehe. The box is like this

DSC09499.jpg

so I guess that if it ends up not being similar I could always take the metal case and put the regular dvd cases of both seasons together so they don't look too different. I know that's nitpicky but oh well, we'll have to wait and see first :p
  • edited October 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    We haven't announced any retail plans for Season Two yet, but if/when that happens, it would likely be handled similarly to the Sam & Max Season One retail -- with a publishing partner, and probably a different version of the disc with slightly different presentation, packaging, etc. When we have something to say, we'll of course say it, but for now there's no news. :)

Of course the Season Two DVD is available in the Telltale Store on this very site :).

Thanks very much for letting me know, a friend of mine was curious about this. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.