Max's morals

edited June 2008 in Sam & Max
Hello, I just finished playing Sam and Max:Season 1 for the first time and loved it. So I wanted to research the series. I knew there was some comic books, but I was surprised to find out there was a kid's cartoon. My question is, was Max as violent/rude in the show as he was in the games? I also noticed that Sam and Max Hit the road had a "Parental Advisory" sticker on it. Most likely due to the type of humor/violence there was in season 1, so I'm surprised there was even a kids cartoon. Was anything "dumbed" down in regards of the characters?

Comments

• edited May 2008
    I watched a couple episodes on GameTap, and while Max was still violent, it was about 1/4 of the usual Max violence.
  • edited May 2008
    though personally i feel S1 max didn't live up comic book max, or even HtR max.

;)
  • edited May 2008
    Max was more spaztic in the cartoon, in my opinion, which made up for the fact he didn't have many violent moments.
  • edited May 2008
    Max was incredibly spaztic in that one episode with the swamp monster after his brain was removed. I loved it when he sang "The Lollipop Guild" song while he was brainless *laughs*.
  • edited May 2008
    Well I think telltale did the right thing by sacrificing violence for comedy.
  • edited May 2008
    Orange+ wrote: »
    Hello, I just finished playing Sam and Max:Season 1 for the first time and loved it. So I wanted to research the series. I knew there was some comic books, but I was surprised to find out there was a kid's cartoon. My question is, was Max as violent/rude in the show as he was in the games? I also noticed that Sam and Max Hit the road had a "Parental Advisory" sticker on it. Most likely due to the type of humor/violence there was in season 1, so I'm surprised there was even a kids cartoon. Was anything "dumbed" down in regards of the characters?
    A lot of the humor was dumbed down, yeah. Less cursing, can't really use big guns (although they had bazookas once; I'm guessing they assumed small children wouldn't have access to them).
    As a side note, I'm pretty sure the HtR parental advisory sticker was a joke.
  • edited May 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    As a side note, I'm pretty sure the HtR parental advisory sticker was a joke.

Trust me, that parental advisory sticker was NOT a joke! There was quite a lot of potentially offensive humor in that game (which is part of what made it so great). Here is an example:

-Max (in response to the mentioning of the Koran): "Didn't he fight Godzilla?"
  • edited May 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    Max was more spaztic in the cartoon, in my opinion, which made up for the fact he didn't have many violent moments.

I saw a clip where sam says something about our culture and Lagomorphic Mind Melds, and then he grabbed max and had him eye level with the alien sam was talking to, and the look on max's face was pretty funny.Some of the stuff during the "Mind Meld" that flew by was funny, too.
  • edited May 2008
    NatsFan wrote: »
    Trust me, that parental advisory sticker was NOT a joke! There was quite a lot of potentially offensive humor in that game (which is part of what made it so great). Here is an example:

Are you talking about Qran?(Sorry if I spelled Qran wrong if you are offended)
  • edited May 2008
    He means the religous text.
  • edited June 2008
    I'm always confused by how people talk about violence in the Sam & Max comics. Most, if not all, of the violence was implied rather than shown thanks to Steve Purcell's knowledge of the all-important comedy rule that intense violence is funnier if it's left to the imagination.

As for the cartoon, Sam & Max were essentially their same old selves, but a little more sensible about things. They made the same kind of irreverent jokes and threats of ridiculous violence, but there was more of the implication that they're joking more often than not (unless they're referring to bad guys who deserve all of the awful things they do to them).
  • edited June 2008
    NatsFan wrote: »

That's only politically incorrect by today's comedy standards. In the late eighties/early nineties (can't remember when the original Sam & Max game came out), that was perfectly tolerable zany humor. It's only recently that the human race as a whole completely lost its ability to laugh at itself and took any reference to existing cultures or belief systems as offensive. I agree with the Telltale guys when they said in the Season One commentaries that Sam & Max are "emotionally stuck in the eighties" and that it's a good thing. *laughs*
  • edited June 2008
    That's only politically incorrect by today's comedy standards. In the late eighties/early nineties (can't remember when the original Sam & Max game came out), that was perfectly tolerable zany humor. It's only recently that the human race as a whole completely lost its ability to laugh at itself and took any reference to existing cultures or belief systems as offensive. I agree with the Telltale guys when they said in the Season One commentaries that Sam & Max are "emotionally stuck in the eighties" and that it's a good thing. *laughs*

Yeah, these days,Political Correcting can be just weird like "Gingerbread Persons":confused:
  • edited June 2008
    *sings*
    baa baa rainbow sheep,
    have you any wool?
  • edited June 2008
    I'll just draw up a mind map on the chalkboard, shall I?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.