Games vs Animated Series

edited July 2008 in Sam & Max
Is anyone else having a dissapointing time rewatching the cartoon after playing all of the games? The difference in the personalities is possibly more annoying than having to adjust to different voices. It's like trying to watch SatAM Sonic after reading the comic series & quite possibly like a car crash you can't take your eyes off of.

*Note: If you haven't rewatched it, or have never seen it, please watch an episode or on Veoh.com before posting. http://www.veoh.com/videos/v7405997GQRMcshk But if you want to keep your memories of enjoying the show pure, don't watch it; childhood favorites are almost always dissapointing 10 years latter, like Tales from the Crypt Keeper & Carmen Sandieogo. X-men & Gargoyles are still good though....& this is why I want a new cartoon, based on the updated personalities of Sam & Max, prefurably shown late on something like Comedy Central, Cartoon Network, or Spike TV, written by Steve Purcell, with the same cast of voice actors (or people that canclosely immitate their voices). If the episodic game series goes on long enough, someone's bound to offer.

Anyone else with Sam & Max had a Wikiquotes page, or even their own Wiki, like Homestar Runner?

Comments

• edited June 2008
    They don't need their own wiki. Canon and Sam & Max is just going to be lame.

I still enjoy the TV series and always have. Steve even wrote a few episodes himself including one that was based almost scene for scene on one of the original comics. Sure the voices are different and Sam is a little more crazier and it's a bit watered down, but it's still enjoyable and captures the essense of Sam & Max. (holy run-on sentence!)
  • edited June 2008
    I agree with Chris. I enjoyed the animated series just as much as I did when I watched it when it first ran. I just saw it as 2 differnt and valid interpertaions of the same characters.
  • edited June 2008
    I enjoyed the show for what it is. When it was first on I didn't even know about the comic, only had HTR to compare it too. I prefer the game and comic now but I still think it is a damn good show and stands out from other cartoons for it's humour and radical style
  • edited June 2008
    I prefer the game and comic now but I still think it is a damn good show and stands out from other cartoons for it's humour and radical style

Like Beetlejuice, The Adams Family, Tales from the Cryptkeeper, Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Living Creepy, Celebrity Death Match, Aeon Flux, The Max, Liquid Television, Family Guy, Futurama, Duckman, The Critic, Garry the Rat, Dilbert, Mr. Hell, Two Stupid Dogs, Invader Zim, Clerks, Freekazoid, Earthworm Jim, Super Dave, The Tick kind of standing out?
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Sure the voices are different and Sam is a little more crazier and it's a bit watered down, but it's still enjoyable and captures the essense of Sam & Max. (holy run-on sentence!)

So watered down it's drowning. It's a mind numbingly sugar-coated killjoy. Must watch Duckman.....
  • edited June 2008
    LikaLaruku wrote: »
    It's like trying to watch SatAM Sonic after reading the comic series

Or Sonic X.Not only is that show horrible, but why were Sonic and Knuckles playing chess?On the outside of a spaceship in orbit?Ever seen a Spiky Blue-Haired lagomorphic hedgehog playing against a lagomorphic red Echidna with dreadlocks in chess?It's odd.
  • edited June 2008
    You're comparing Sonic to Sam & Max? wtf?
  • edited June 2008
    Or Sonic X.Not only is that show horrible, but why were Sonic and Knuckles playing chess?On the outside of a spaceship in orbit?Ever seen a Spiky Blue-Haired lagomorphic hedgehog playing against a lagomorphic red Echidna with dreadlocks in chess?It's odd.

Wrong Sonic. I'm talking about the one from the 90s with Princess Sally. It spawned a comic series that became serious down the line & far surpassed the cartoon, making it look as childish as it really was. If you're saying that it was "also" terrible, I can say that it sure was in English. I watched the poorly fansubbed Chinese version because couldn't stand the American voice actors. All I can say about that series is that it makes it look like Sonic has a crush on Knuckles somehow.....
  • edited June 2008
    You're comparing Sonic to Sam & Max? wtf?

I'd rather compare Max to Happy Noodle Boy, but then I realize I only "wish" he was that psychotic. Sam is more like McGruff gone awry who keeps making me think about Gilligan's Island every time he says "you crack me up, little buddy."
  • edited June 2008
    Wrong Sonic. I'm talking about the one from the 90s with Princess Sally. It spawned a comic series that became serious down the line & far surpassed the cartoon, making it look as childish as it really was. If you're saying that it was "also" terrible, I can say that it sure was in English. I watched the poorly fansubbed Chinese version because couldn't stand the American voice actors. All I can say about that series is that it makes it look like Sonic has a crush on Knuckles somehow.....

Actually I think the comic series actually started first, but then started to take on some of the SatAM's story elements as it went on. I could be wrong tho, but I'm pretty sure the comic came before the 3 animated shows.

edit: checked on wikipedia and it said that the Archie comic started early 1993 where SatAM started September 1993. Sure it wasn't that much of a head start, but a head start none the less. :)
  • edited June 2008
    huh... I uploaded this.
    http://www.veoh.com/channels/samymax

they're all there...
  • edited June 2008
    Zootch wrote: »
    huh... I uploaded this.
    http://www.veoh.com/channels/samymax

they're all there...

And you're posting this why?
  • edited June 2008
    And you're posting this why?

the ball apparently had already been dropped
  • edited June 2008
    Dedlok wrote: »
    Actually I think the comic series actually started first, but then started to take on some of the SatAM's story elements as it went on. I could be wrong tho, but I'm pretty sure the comic came before the 3 animated shows.

edit: checked on wikipedia and it said that the Archie comic started early 1993 where SatAM started September 1993. Sure it wasn't that much of a head start, but a head start none the less. :)

I'm sad to say that I was a Sonic ubergeek for 10 years & acutally did a History of Sonic the Hedgehog for a school essay. The comic was supposed to pick up where the cartoon left off. I will admit that the Wiki wasn't around when I did the essay though. I got sick of the comics after Knuckles got cancelled & moved on to manga.
  • edited June 2008
    Why does Sam's cartoon voice actor sound so damned familiar?
  • edited June 2008
  • edited June 2008

Hmmm, I guess it either Super Mario Brothers, Bad Dog, or Beetlejuice, cuz I sure don't remember it from Law & Order.
  • edited June 2008
    Sorry, just had to mention the horror 4KIDS made.And the Sonic <3 Knuckles, that has probably happened in VERY disturbing fan art.I saw a hideous photo even with strict rules on in google images.
    Okay maybe I shouldn't of told you guys about that.And I searched Sonic & Knuckles for the GAME not the... yeah...
  • edited June 2008
    I'm sad to say that I was a Sonic ubergeek for 10 years & acutally did a History of Sonic the Hedgehog for a school essay. The comic was supposed to pick up where the cartoon left off. I will admit that the Wiki wasn't around when I did the essay though. I got sick of the comics after Knuckles got cancelled & moved on to manga.

I don't know how the comic was supposed to "pick up where the comic left off" when it started about the same time as the 2 cartoons AND the SatAM one lasted 2 seasons...

Plus I remember reading the comic while the tv series was still running. Plus I remember it was him by himself (and tails) for a while but then they started bringing in the Freedom Fighters stuff.
    Sorry, just had to mention the horror 4KIDS made.And the Sonic <3 Knuckles, that has probably happened in VERY disturbing fan art.I saw a hideous photo even with strict rules on in google images.
    Okay maybe I shouldn't of told you guys about that.And I searched Sonic & Knuckles for the GAME not the... yeah...

4Kids didn't make the cartoon. It was a japanese show that they liscenced and dubbed.
  • edited June 2008
    Dedlok wrote: »
    I don't know how the comic was supposed to "pick up where the comic left off" when it started about the same time as the 2 cartoons AND the SatAM one lasted 2 seasons...

Plus I remember reading the comic while the tv series was still running. Plus I remember it was him by himself (and tails) for a while but then they started bringing in the Freedom Fighters stuff.

4Kids didn't make the cartoon. It was a japanese show that they liscenced and dubbed.

I forget to mention the dub part... but the dub is the BAD one, the original isn't great, it's decent though.Especially when Japanese Speaking Sonic said a major cuss in English.I wonder how "****" got translated to "Cream"?
  • edited June 2008
    Sonic fleetway was an excellent comic it deserved a tv series.If only sonic could not talk.
  • edited June 2008
    Man I loved the 93 series of Sonic, I need to get the DVD boxset. I think though, I'm the only one who liked Tails.
  • edited June 2008
    I think though, I'm the only one who liked Tails.
    I think he like, fell out of the sky in a diaper or something for his debut.Then stalked Sonic and annoyed him for the rest of the episode.Then again, that may have been a different series.
  • edited June 2008
    I love the personalities of both TV show Sam and Max and Telltale Sam and Max. If anything, together they just make HtR Sam and Max seem really dull.

I think if you took HtR Max's taunting and fighting, TV Max's cutaway gags and detachments from reality and everything else from Telltale Max, he'd be perfect. And if you took TV Sam's constant cheerful demeanor and awesome voice and fused it with Telltale Sam's deadpan delivery, he'd be perfect. But that's just my opinion.
  • edited June 2008
    I think he like, fell out of the sky in a diaper or something for his debut.Then stalked Sonic and annoyed him for the rest of the episode.Then again, that may have been a different series.

I do seem to have a thing for the annoying sidekicks,
  • edited June 2008
    I only watched that show because I liked the character design for Eggman. So much so that I wrote an expository on him in my free time http://www.xanga.com/Hynkel/589661765/doctor-ivo-robotnik.html

as for a S&M wiki revolving around the animated series, what would the point be? Wikis are best suited for things dynamically changing, which the series is not.

The only real point of interest would be this Doctor Who reference in one of the episodes:
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/ZHynkel/que.jpg
  • edited June 2008
    Eh, a Sam and Max wiki could have some potential. Though it would be completely superfluous and silly. I think a lot of it would be tracking how many times things have been reused throughout the different mediums. Take soda jerks for example. There's Bernard in HtR, then in the animated series one of the villains employed a few as henchmen, then of course everyone's favorites the **** Poppers. That's a more obvious example but if you look you'll find lots of similar crossovers. :p
  • edited June 2008
    Leonard in htr?
  • edited June 2008
    Heck I'm confuzzled about that too. Was he dressed as a big foot? Was he Bruno in disguise?
  • edited June 2008
    Whoops, fixed.
  • edited June 2008
    Sonic fleetway was an excellent comic it deserved a tv series.If only sonic could not talk.

His Japanese voice was good.
  • edited June 2008
    tobar wrote: »
    Eh, a Sam and Max wiki could have some potential. Though it would be completely superfluous and silly. I think a lot of it would be tracking how many times things have been reused throughout the different mediums. Take soda jerks for example. There's Bernard in HtR, then in the animated series one of the villains employed a few as henchmen, then of course everyone's favorites the **** Poppers. That's a more obvious example but if you look you'll find lots of similar crossovers. :p

Precicely; it would take all the mediums & let the nerdiest brains of the fans link them all together, & point out things less observational fans either would have missed or would have ended up spending hours looking up on various websites.
  • I liked Harvey Atkin as the voice of Sam.
  • edited July 2008
    tobar wrote: »
    Take soda jerks for example. There's Bernard in HtR, then in the animated series one of the villains employed a few as henchmen, then of course everyone's favorites the **** Poppers.

Do you really think that three exact copies of each other, only seperated by mustaches and glasses could really exist? If one of the Snucky's workers was Benard, what about the other two?;)
  • edited July 2008
    StonkBad wrote: »
    If one of the Snucky's workers was Benard, what about the other two?;)

Sid Hoffman and Sid Frenchman, of course!
  • edited July 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Sid Hoffman and Sid Frenchman, of course!

I love that game... good times.
  • edited July 2008
    Hm, Sam & Max are awesome in both, I think. They you can see them truly shine in the few one or two episodes that Steve Purcell wrote himself.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.