Stuff that reminds you of the old Lucasarts games

edited July 2008 in Sam & Max
There are a few things in the games that seem reminiscient of Hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle, Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island, etc. if you saw or heard anything in the new Sam and Max games that reminded you of these classics, list them here!

Obviously, don't mention deliberate references to the old games ("I can only hold my breath for 9 minutes!" "Did you just get deja vu?" etc)

For me, the "Messing with the Soda Poppers" theme reminds me of Laverne's theme in Day of the Tentacle (which plays when you select her, put the White-Out stuff on the fence, tempt the cat with the toy mouse etc). The music that plays in Stinky's 1980 is reminiscient of Maniac Mansion (though that's probably just because of the extreme 80's-ness present in the game) and the River Styx music reminds me of the tunnel theme from Monkey Island 2's last chapter. (though everyone mentions that)

Comments

• edited June 2008
    Teeth wrote: »
    There are a few things in the games that seem reminiscient of Hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle, Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island, etc. if you saw or heard anything in the new Sam and Max games that reminded you of these classics, list them here!

Obviously, don't mention deliberate references to the old games ("I can only hold my breath for 9 minutes!" "Did you just get deja vu?" etc)

For me, the "Messing with the Soda Poppers" theme reminds me of Laverne's theme in Day of the Tentacle (which plays when you select her, put the White-Out stuff on the fence, tempt the cat with the toy mouse etc). The music that plays in Stinky's 1980 is reminiscient of Maniac Mansion (though that's probably just because of the extreme 80's-ness present in the game) and the River Styx music reminds me of the tunnel theme from Monkey Island 2's last chapter. (though everyone mentions that)

I must say that those games you are talking about "The Classics" so to say
    is sad to see that they aren't made anymore even in the year 2000.

But Sam & Max have had the strength and will to return thanks to Telltale Games. ;)
  • edited July 2008
    Somehow, I actually found Sam & Max Hit the Road a bit dull compared to Abe Lincoln Must Die. Maybe it's just because I'm new to the series or I was negative two years old when HtR was released.

Anyway, in HtR, when you look at the Snuckey's employee, Sam exclaims, "He's a real soda jerk." Then 13 years later the Soda Poppers appear. Coinsidence?
  • edited July 2008
    Ok this is nothing to do with the new Sam and Max games but Pirates of the Caribbean always reminds me of Monkey Island, quirky, random pirate, the music, settings, humour etc, my mum always says it must have been partly based on the game.
  • edited July 2008
    It was, Harley.

For added fun, look at the Pirates movies and see how many MI references you can find. You'll be amazed!
  • edited July 2008
    It was? I thought it was so alike but I wasn't sure if the Disney company and writers would have been aware of the game. Not many are over here anyway.
  • edited July 2008
    Hmm, wasn't MI inspired by the PotC Ride at Disney Land?
  • edited July 2008
    Sp0tted wrote: »
    It was, Harley.

For added fun, look at the Pirates movies and see how many MI references you can find. You'll be amazed!

Will Turner = Guybrush
    Elizabeth Swan = Elaine
    Davey Jones = Squid Pirate LeChuck

They're the true Monkey Island movies! :D
  • edited July 2008
    Mirko wrote: »
    Hmm, wasn't MI inspired by the PotC Ride at Disney Land?

Apparently it was, I look it up earlier.
  • edited July 2008
    Something I noticed about Season 1 and HtR.

In htr and episode 103 are wack da ratz games.
    Even the number of rats you have to hit to win is the same.
  • edited July 2008
    Ah, all wonderful classics that were great plays. I miss them a lot, especially Monkey Island. My favorite was Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge.
  • edited July 2008
    The music at river Styx is very probably meant to resemble Monkey Island's.
    And, yes, PotC is basically the Monkey Island movie, although we all know it deserves better.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.