The television series- Worth buying?

edited August 2008 in Sam & Max
I've been looking into the Sam & Max television series for it bit, and while it does look interesting, I was wondering how good it is and if it was worth buying. It will be a bit until I get it (If I get it) since I'm going to get Surfin' the Highway later this week and then Hit the Road when I get the money and the software to play it, but I was just curious. If it is, then I'll probably get Hit the Road this week and the bundle with Surfin' the Highway and then the animated series whenever I have the money.

Comments

• edited July 2008
    the animated series isn't that good but u should buy it
  • edited July 2008
    Definitely, while it's different from the comics and games, it's still good. :D
  • edited July 2008
    Gametap has all the episodes in low-quality streaming, and they're offering "first month for 99 cents". So as long as you cancel after the first month, you're paying far less for a video rental for the whole series. Oh, and the games it comes with, too.

Anyway, that's a nice legal way to see if you think it's worthwhile.

The voices would be bit jarring for anybody who got into the series through the Telltale games.
  • edited July 2008
    It's a good show, not as good as the comics and game, but still worth getting.
  • edited July 2008
    Thanks, guys! I'll order it up along with Surfin' the Highway and will get Hit the Road later this week.

Rather Dashing: I would watch it through GameTap, but my internet is slow and unreliable. Also, I get huge headaches when I watch a video on my laptop for too long, so for me it wouldn't exactly be the best option. On top of that, I like having physical copies of things for some reason.
  • edited July 2008
    Plus the DVD set comes with a bonus disc and an extra awesome sticker that you can put on your laptop (if you want).
  • edited July 2008
    Decho: It was just an option, if you were cheap. Just know, the voices are definitely VERY different from the Telltale games, and I found them pretty jarring for the first couple of episodes. They're actually a bit annoying to me. xD

But yeah, it's a good series. I'm just too cheap to actually *buy* it now that I got it packed in with my first month of Gametap. :p
  • edited July 2008
    I enjoyed the cartoon a lot and, personally, I love this version of Max (a bit off topic, my favorite version of Sam is from the TT games).

The main reason I like it so much is because of all the creative ways of editing the subject matter in order to be viewable for younger audiences. It, of course, leads to a lot of moments where you might wonder how they got past the censors. Fun stuff! ^_^
  • edited July 2008
    I'm planning on purchasing the set as soon as possible myself, but I have seen several episodes recently as well as remembering a few from the good ole' Fox kids days. All I can tell you is it's hysterical... The situations are obviously tweaked for the younger audience but the humor is most certainly there in the form of Sam & Max's constant ping-pong banter in conversation. The Geek might be a little much to begin with, and it might make it a bit childish at first, but heck, if I were Max, I'd like retractable howitzers in my DeSoto, too. :D
  • edited July 2008
    I've only seen a few episodes personally... though bad day on the moon was amusing as a cartoon rather than a comic. It's a shame how much the censors did manage to kill though, but odd what did stay in.
    The voices are really really jarring, and this is comming from someone who got into sam and max when Hit the Road came out.
    It's a bit kid orientated but it's something you get used to. Some episodes are better than others because they retain the sam and max feel rather than the whole "hey kids, fox says we have to have a message and be kid friendly so here's some childish shit for a while, then we'll go back to the surreal"
  • edited July 2008
    In the early-mid 90s the cartoon was my first experience with Sam and Max, then a few years later I found the Lucasarts game and i've been a solid fan ever since. They stand up admirably on their own and I have several friends who agree on that point. I can't wait for my set to arrive.
    That point in time was good for tv, Sam and Max, Earthworm jim (Another greatgame/cartoon series), Pinky and The Brain, lots more I probably can't remember. All very strange, quirky, sometimes downright surreal comedy not entirely meant for kids. I fully endorse it.
  • edited July 2008
    I miss the 90's *sob*
  • edited July 2008
    Does it have subtitles? If so, In which languages?
  • edited July 2008
    No. No subtitles.
  • edited July 2008
    Yes, buy it (if you have the funds in the piggy-bank, that is) . My character design teacher, for first year Animation, worked on it.

I agree, the censors did cut out a lot of the stuff that would've made it amazingly funny. It's too bad the Comedy network didn't pick up the license or Spike TV, like they did with Ren & Stimpy.
  • edited July 2008
    Good for me that I saw them on gametap while they were still for free^^
  • edited July 2008
    Cold Chaosfan, cold.
  • edited July 2008
    tobar wrote: »
    Cold Chaosfan, cold.

*laughs maniacly*
    I know.
    But first month 0,99 is very close to free.
  • edited July 2008
    get someone to make you a sub account and get it free :)
  • edited August 2008
    I'll just add my opinion here which is - it's absolutely worth buying. It's not the same as the comics or games, obviously.. but it's still a lot of fun and very wacky :D

The bonus material is cool too, especially the talk with Purcell!

Every Sam & Max fan should have this set, it's good stuff :)

My only complaint is that it lacks subtitles. At times, the sounds and music can get too loud and drown out the dialogue.. and subtitles would come in very handy there.
  • edited August 2008
    Dear lord is it worth buying! And it's also quite spacious if I might add as well.
  • edited August 2008
    Oh yes. Some episodes are on Youtube.
  • edited August 2008
    Because it's not like that applies to every single show ever made or anything.
  • edited August 2008
    Mega Max was awesome!
  • edited August 2008
    Sure it's worth buying! I'd never seen the animated series before purchasing the DVD, and I thought it was superb. Plus the theme tune is amazingly catchy...!
  • edited August 2008
    Lactose the Intolerant, ya just don't get silly named villains like that anymore. The Molemen looked pretty cool in this medium.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.