Sam & Max (all S2 episodes) - reboots randomly after Catalyst driver update

edited August 2008 in Game Support
Hello Everyone,

As I've been having trouble wtih my Sam & Max season 2 games rebooting my computer, I decided to have a look in the forums. And, yay, I learnt 4 things. I learnt that:

1. The reboot issue is most likely linked to having an ATI graphics card and updating to the latest Catalyst drivers. Alll the posts I looked through followed that exact pattern and my own problems started after a driver update as well.

2. It's happened before. In a previous driver version, an error in the Catalyst drivers caused the card to overheat and the pc to reboot when playing a Sam and Max game. ATI fixed this in a later driver version. Now, though, the problem seems to be back?

3. A possible workaround seems to be to set your game to a lower resolution from the options menu. However, this may work or it may not.

4. An almost guranteed solution seems to be be to replace the official ATI Catalyst drivers with the 3rd party Omega Catalyst drivers. This unfortunately being at the cost of going back quite a big step in version numbers. (the latest Omega drivers are built on Catalyst v7.12 while the official Catalyst drivers are now at v8.7)

I tried setting my game to a lower resolution, and it did work for a bit... well, until it rebooted again. Playing the game knowing that your computer could randomly reboot at ANY MOMENT and make you lose your unsaved progress makes you wonder if that was how Bosco's paranoia initally got started :rolleyes:

So, before I install Omega, does anyone know of any other workarounds or fixes? More importantly, will the next set of ATI drivers correct the issue or is there no going back now?

Thanks in advance,
John, a Sam & Max fan from Denmark

Comments

• edited August 2008
    If the previous Catalyst release worked, you can also re-install that one:
    http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/radeonxprevious-xp.html
  • edited August 2008
    Unfortunately the previous version didn't work for me. I had trouble with that one, which is why I updated to the latest version. When that didn't help, I came to the forum to look for other answers. Will it be fixed in the Catalyst drivers?
  • edited August 2008
    I don't know, that's a question for ATI I'm afraid :(
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    I actually tend to trust Omega a fair bit. I've heard nothing but good results from people who had similar problems.
  • edited August 2008
    Well, here's hoping that ATI will fix the bug like they did in a previous driver version. Until then, Omega sounds like a decent, trustworthy alternative. Final thing though - will it be a problem that the Omega drivers haven't been updated in over ½ year? :confused:

EDIT: Um... also, switching to low quality in hi-res seems to work for me now. Mysterious, but good.
This discussion has been closed.