Crashes - DLL (fmodex.dll) has encountered a problem...

edited January 2011 in Game Support
I've been searching for threads regarding this problem but I can't seem to find any. I own the full version for the PC and after installing and entering my code the game won't start - it just crashes. I've tried rebooting, uninstalling/installing again but it didn't help. Has anyone experienced similar problems and how did you solve it? Some specifics;
I click the icon to start the game and choose "Launch game", the menu closes and a shortly after an error message pops up. The message box is just called "DLL" and says "DLL han encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Followed by the standard windows error information. Under more information about the error it says
Error signature
AppName: homestar101.exe AppVer: 2008.7.31.11018 ModName: fmodex.dll ModVer: 0.4.14.4 Offset: 000791bf.

My OS is Win XP. Replacing Fmodex.dll just made the game crash before the menu.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    Could you send in an email into support@telltalegames.com with the problem. Oh and normally problems such as this go in the support forums and not in the discussion ones.
  • edited August 2008
    Whopsie, sorry. Ok - I'll send an e-mail, just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't bother them with a trivial/already solved issue.
  • edited August 2008
    It is okay. It is almost always a good idea to post to the support forums since if we can't answer it one of our many forum goers probably can.
  • edited August 2008
    It's the damnedest thing - I must enable 3D audio acceleration on my Gamesound Fortissimo III 7.1 soundcard, or the game will crash. Changing between required restarts so I just assumed that it was something else that I changed when the game worked so I restarted with acceleration back to "off" and restarted - wouldn't you know it, the game crashed. So Fortissimo III owners MAY need to enable 3D audio acceleration if their computer is in the same sorry state as mine.
  • edited August 2008
    I've been playing the demo on PC. (Because I'm waiting to get it on WiiWare, because I'm in Europe.) And I found it slightly annoying, that the characters eyes kept on dissapearing.
  • SegSeg
    edited August 2008
    To all the posters, please try to run the DirectX Web Installer. Epically for the 'missing eyes' bug.
  • edited August 2008
    Ahhhh, works fine! Cheers!
  • edited August 2008
    Strangely, I got the missing eyes bug...but only in the tutorial.
  • edited August 2008
    My game runs fine, but the missing eye bug remains.
  • edited August 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    To all the posters, please try to run the DirectX Web Installer. Epically for the 'missing eyes' bug.

Not sure it really is an issue, but I wonder why they write this at the top:
    The Microsoft DirectX® End-User Runtime provides updates to 9.0c and previous versions of DirectX

And further down they say it applies to Vista too... BUT, how can it, when Vista uses version 10???

Just a very confused lady here... :)
  • SegSeg
    edited August 2008
    t_a_o wrote: »
    Just a very confused lady here...

It is very confusing, but I'll take you though it.

The big misconception is what versioning means for DirectX. Most people think that latest version overwrites version 9 as most software programs do. This is not the case for DirectX. It's a mode that the application requests to run in. So while Vista contains and promotes the use of DirectX 10, it still has DirectX 9 for applications that request DirectX 9.

DirectX 9 is still being updated and maintains in 3-4 month periods, even with DirectX 10 and 11 out and in the works. What makes this frustrating is that these updates are not included with Windows Update for either XP or Vista. Particularly, the versions that are required to run the shader technology for Strong Bad which were released in Aug and Dec of 2006. Nor did these versions ship with XP SP2 or Vista.

When you run the DirectX installer, it pulls all the DLLs of all the released versions for 8, 9, and 10. You run it, download (typically) 5mb worth of data, and it's thrown into the right place. From there you're pretty much set for any game released now.

So even though Vista totes having DirectX 10, almost every other application using 3D graphics is in DirectX 9 mode. Thus the DirectX installer is still needed for Vista.
  • edited August 2008
    Ok, now I get it...
    I've been doing this all along, so I'm fine, just didn't know why I had to do it :D

I actually have the installer on my harddrive for easy access.
  • edited November 2009
    i'm getting this same error with the Wallace and Gromit first episode. it worked initially, but when i started changing the graphics settings, it locked up my entire system. upon restarting, i now get this DLL error. i've uninstalled and reinstalled the game as well as made sure DirectX 9 was up to date.
    I've been searching for threads regarding this problem but I can't seem to find any. I own the full version for the PC and after installing and entering my code the game won't start - it just crashes. I've tried rebooting, uninstalling/installing again but it didn't help. Has anyone experienced similar problems and how did you solve it? Some specifics;
    I click the icon to start the game and choose "Launch game", the menu closes and a shortly after an error message pops up. The message box is just called "DLL" and says "DLL han encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Followed by the standard windows error information. Under more information about the error it says
    Error signature
    AppName: homestar101.exe AppVer: 2008.7.31.11018 ModName: fmodex.dll ModVer: 0.4.14.4 Offset: 000791bf.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    toxic boy wrote: »
    i'm getting this same error with the Wallace and Gromit first episode.

Please give us some more information:

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then e.g. zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited January 2011
    Error signature

hi,

You can go to this site ..
    http://www.fix-all-dll-errors.com/fmodex.dll/

as I registered few dll's from this site as it is free...worked in my case :)
This discussion has been closed.