Strong bad crashes at startup

edited August 2009 in Game Support
Strong bad crashes in windows vista after I click on launch in that activation start window also tried sam and max but have no problem in playing that.
It crashes when it goes full screen.

Comments

• SegSeg
    edited August 2008
    Can you try downloading and running the DirectX Web Installer and trying again?
  • edited August 2008
    Yep it still crashes after installing that update.
  • SegSeg
    edited August 2008
    Let's try this:

1) Go to C:\Users\*\Documents\Telltale Games\Strong Bad - Episode 1\
    2) Delete the file: prefs.prop
    3) Try running the game again.

If that doesn't work, it may be that your download got corrupted. Try redownloading the game and run the installer again.

If that doesn't work, tell me which of the above you did and then tell me if you're running any security software such as Norton Anti-virus or any other security program.
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    Actually, this is one thing that's new for StrongBad. Instead of deleting your prefs.prop file, hold the SPACE bar down while starting the game. This will start the game in "safe mode". Give it a try and let me know how it goes. Could you also let me know what machine, video card, etc?

Hang in there!
    Kevin
  • edited August 2008
    Ok removing the file and holding space doesnt work.
    I know the installation aint broken because I played it on my xp boot but I just want it to work on my main windows.
  • edited August 2008
    Think this gives the most important part about my pc. If you want I can pm the full dxdiag file contents to you.

System Information
    Time of this report: 8/11/2008, 23:54:15
    Machine name: BENEDEN
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Business (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080425-1930)
    Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)
    System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
    System Model: System Product Name
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 2046MB RAM
    Page File: 1263MB used, 3072MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
    Card name: Radeon X1950 Pro
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x7280)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_7280&SUBSYS_2204148C&REV_00
    Display Memory: 1019 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 253 MB
    Shared Memory: 766 MB
    Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (75Hz)
    Monitor: Algemeen PnP-beeldscherm
    Driver Name: atiumdag.dll,atiumdva.dat,atitmmxx.dll
    Driver Version: 7.14.0010.0597 (English)
    DDI Version: 9Ex
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 7/4/2008 05:21:30, 3691008 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Sound Devices
    Description: Luidsprekers (Creative SB X-Fi)
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0005&SUBSYS_00311102&REV_00
    Manufacturer ID: 1
    Product ID: 100
    Type: WDM
    Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys
    Driver Version: 6.00.0001.1284 (English)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    WHQL Logo'd: No
    Date and Size: 7/15/2008 18:07:18, 527384 bytes
    Other Files:
    Driver Provider: Creative
  • edited August 2008
    Same thing here, unfortunately. I've got Vista and a Radeon x1900. Updated the DirectX, got the new Catalyst driver, and unfortunately no improvement. The initial Telltale Games screen comes up, and I can click the "Launch Game!" button, but as soon as the screen goes black, it dumps back to the desktop. Holding space for safe mode unfortunately results in the same behavior.
  • edited August 2008
    Well I fixed the game in vista by using the windows xp prefs.prop file with a higher resolution I think the standard resolution the game starts on is not allowed on my pc.
  • edited August 2008
    I'm using Vista, i'm experiencing this problem too, none of the steps here seemed to help.

To the previous poster, could you upload that prefs.prop file, worth a shot.
  • edited August 2008
    You can try with this file I put the resolution on 1024x768 so should work if problem was that.

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/hh.arentsen/prefs.prop
  • edited August 2008
    nulian, you are a lifesaver. I used that prefs file, and it worked like a charm.

So let me see if I understand the problem...the game, by default, attempts to start up at whatever the current resolution is? Then if that resolution is too high, it crashes back to the desktop. And then manually specifying a lower resolution via the prefs file forces it to start up with a lower resolution.
  • edited August 2008
    I think the game tries to start in 640x480 thats what it opened on windows xp but that doesnt work in my vista at least.
  • edited August 2009
    please help!!! that prefs file sounds real good but got no idea what it is or what it does!!
    i clicked on it but i keep getting told i need to scan my computer, then a list of programs comes up, think there just trying to get me to buy. iv'e got Esest's nod32 anti virus.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    please help!!! that prefs file sounds real good but got no idea what it is or what it does!!
    i clicked on it but i keep getting told i need to scan my computer, then a list of programs comes up, think there just trying to get me to buy. iv'e got Esest's nod32 anti virus.

Looks like your system is infected with some sort of scareware. In that case it is likely that
    • your system is infected with further malware
    • your nod32 anti virus has been manipulated by malware to not scan properly anymore

You should check your system for malware with a scanner independent of your operating system.
    You could download the Avira AntiVir Rescue System. When you start it, it asks for a cd to burn itself to. Then you boot from that cd to scan your system for malware.
    If it finds any, which it probably will from your description, you should backup your important data and reinstall a fresh windows, with all service packs, security updates and most recent drivers.
  • edited August 2009
    the rescue scan said Warning: archive not completely scanned: processing error.
    i clicked on the quick link Nulian had posted http://home.quicknet.ntl/qn/prive/hh.arentsen/prefs.prop
    (i can't get back into it now though), and it suggested websites to vist: (not in exact words) sayin your having rpoblems acessing the site because of a software problem.
    it suggested to buy regcure didn't take much notice as i thought it was just trying to get me to buy.
    i haven't had any messages from windows of anything.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    the rescue scan said Warning: archive not completely scanned: processing error.

Okay, that's nothing too bad.
    i clicked on the quick link Nulian had posted http://home.quicknet.ntl/qn/prive/hh.arentsen/prefs.prop
    (i can't get back into it now though), and it suggested websites to vist: (not in exact words) sayin your having rpoblems acessing the site because of a software problem.
    it suggested to buy regcure didn't take much notice as i thought it was just trying to get me to buy.
    i haven't had any messages from windows of anything.

Now i see. I am sorry, i completely misunderstood you earlier about those messages. They were probably part of some website.

The link you quoted has a typo in it. The one in nulian's post lets you download the prefs.prop.
    It belongs into the games settings folder, in this case it is for Strong Bad:
    "C:\Users\*\Documents\Telltale Games\Strong Bad - Episode 1\"
This discussion has been closed.