Help, my game keeps locking up (Homestar Ruiner Wii)

edited September 2011 in Game Support
Hello, I'm new here (though I lurked for a while) and I'm having some trouble with this game. In extended play, it always, always locks up whenever I try to talk to Coach Z. Is this happening to anyone else?

This is the Wii version by the way.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    Hello, I'm new here (though I lurked for a while) and I'm having some trouble with this game. In extended play, it always, always locks up whenever I try to talk to Coach Z. Is this happening to anyone else?

This is the Wii version by the way.

Even though I have da PC version of this game, I've heard of this glitch before. It's called the "Get so freaked out to talk to Coach Z that your game freeze's up glitch".
  • edited August 2008
    I had this exact glitch, see thread in game support forum here:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5866

Switching my Wii from widescreen to standard fixed it, though it would be better if Telltale fixed this on their end.
  • edited August 2008
    Thank you, Forte. Yeah, I'm hoping for an update or something, but I'll try the screen size change.
  • edited August 2008
    Twice now my Wii has frozen when I go to talk to Coach Z in extended play. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
  • edited August 2008
    Yup, more than one person is having this issue apparently, click here.

(I'm not - but I'm playing on the PC.)
  • edited August 2008
    Yeah I ran into the same thing....I changed the format from widescreen to standard and "Viloa" glitch was history!
  • edited August 2008
    Forteblast wrote: »
    I had this exact glitch, see thread in game support forum here:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5866

Switching my Wii from widescreen to standard fixed it, though it would be better if Telltale fixed this on their end.

how do you sweitch it from widescreen to standard, and how do you know which it is on?
  • edited August 2008
    It's called the "Ladies all the time be askin' me, 'Coach Z how come you crash my Wii".
    Fixed
  • edited August 2008
    You can switch to fullscreen mode in in the Wii settings in the channel menu. When in the channel menu click on the Wii icon in the lower left. In the next screen select Settings and then screen. After that select widescreen setting and chose standard.
  • edited August 2008
    Glad I'm not the only one...
  • edited August 2008
    Yeah, I've gotten very frustrated with this. I've tried to talk to him about 5 times now with EXACTLY the same result every time...total system lock up. Very pathetic considering the two months of delay.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    Very pathetic considering the two months of delay.

This has nothing to do with the delay. In our testing, neither we nor Nintendo encountered this problem. But now that it has been identified, we're working on it!

Until then, switching from widescreen to standard mode seems to be resolving the issue for most people.
  • edited August 2008
    I'm somewhat stunned that this problem did not come up. Were none of the play testers using widescreen?

If there is a fix, how will it get delivered to those who paid for the WiiWare version?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    No, we definitely tested in widescreen. I'm fairly certain there is another component involved somewhere. It's like someone wise once said, no matter how many hours of testing you put into a game, 10 times more man-hours will be used in the first hour the game is on the shelf.
  • edited August 2008
    DanShive wrote: »
    If there is a fix, how will it get delivered to those who paid for the WiiWare version?

I would imagine the same way all other downloadable Wii games are updated. You will see it flagged as updated on the WiiWare Store or in your Purchased list and you just re-download it. No extra charge, no messing up of saved games (that I've ever seen at any rate), nice and simple. :)
  • edited August 2008
    For me, it crashes when I try to save!

Well, first, I got the typical "Coach Z" crash. That is, after beating the game, I played on the "Extended Play" mode and, when I spoke to Coach Z at the track, the game locked up. (I hadn't encountered this bug before.)

So, the next time I started up the game, I decided to save straight away so that my "Extended Play" saved game would always be present, rather than merely in the auto-save slot (where it runs the risk of being overwritten). Now I've found that it hangs whenever I try to save when on "Extended Play." This didn't happen before! Moreover, when it crashes, it stops the music on whatever note it was last on, usually producing a high-pitched squeal. No buttons respond, including the "power" button; I always have to turn the Wii off by holding the "power" button on the console itself. (The game will crash as the screen displays "Game Saved," but before you actually see the new save file overwrite the old one; and if you start the game up later, you'll see that your old file has not been replaced, and the new file has not been saved anywhere.)

By the way, I've tried switching the Wii to "Standard" rather than widescreen mode, and no dice. The same freeze glitch happens whenever I try to save.

This is weird! Anyway, thanks!
  • edited August 2008
    In extended play, when I go to talk to coach Z the game ends up freezing and I have to manually shut down the Wii. Does, anyone else have this problem? I can't even find a good email support from ttg to tell them the problem. This event has occurred four times so I won't do it again.:mad: I just want a game that works 100%. I hope someone from ttg sees this message and fixes the problem.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited August 2008
    We are working on this issue. We have found that this only happens on a few Wii hardware systems. At the moment you should be able to fix this problem by going into your Wii settings and changing your display from Widescreen to Standard. This should let you play the game without freezing.

1. Go to the Wii settings in the channel menu.
    2. Click on the Wii icon in the lower left.
    3. In the next screen select Settings, then select Screen.
    4. Select Widescreen Setting and choose Standard.

Also, you can always report any problems you have to support@telltalegames.com or post in the Support forums. You'll always get a quick reply that way! For more information on Telltale support, see here: http://www.telltalegames.com/support/
  • edited August 2008
    I had that problem too! Unfortunately, to get one of the trophies, you need to talk to Coach Z, so I switched the settings temporarily.
  • edited August 2008
    (The game will crash as the screen displays "Game Saved," but before you actually see the new save file overwrite the old one; and if you start the game up later, you'll see that your old file has not been replaced, and the new file has not been saved anywhere.)
    This is weird! Anyway, thanks!

Back up your file to an SD card!!!

I was having this same issue. Something about the save data was making it crash whenever I saved, I guess. I repeated the test a few times, and eventually the whole save file turned up missing. I had to start over.

Also, if you make a backup, you can probably send the developers a copy of the save so they can debug the issue.
  • edited August 2008
    My friend and I are both having this problem...One of the most obtrusive glitches I've ever encountered, considering how simple it was to run across. Do I have to change my widescreen setting just for that conversation with Coach Z, and then change it back afterward, or must I change the setting for the rest of the game once I get to that point?
    Thanks,
    Borderking
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    The game should not crash in 4:3, but it *might* crash in widescreen. So you could switch back to widescreen if you want, but you run the risk of a random crash.
  • edited September 2008
    I too, discovered this error this morning while playing the game as it glitched and froze next to Coach Z. While there is no fix available yet, I am glad to know that the Telltale Team are looking into it. I think the support here is pretty sweet, what I've seen so far in other threads, and that responses are quick, too.

And at least there is a work-around for the error until it is fixed. Thanks, Telltale.
  • edited September 2008
    Is there a fix coming for this?

I'd like to know before I purchase. Thanks.
  • edited September 2008
    We are still looking into possible fixes. But for now leaving the game in standard mode and not widescreen bypasses the freeze for most people.
  • edited September 2008
    We are still looking into possible fixes. But for now leaving the game in standard mode and not widescreen bypasses the freeze for most people.

Thanks for the response. Guess I'll just wait it out and buy both episodes once there's a patch or update confirmed.
  • edited December 2008
    So, any progress on fixing this in the last 3-4 months?
  • edited February 2009
    I'll take that as a no, then?
  • edited April 2009
    I guess it is... I still haven't bought the fifth episode because I heard it can freeze also.
  • edited September 2010
    Me tooooo !!!!!
  • edited September 2010
    Me tooooo !!!!!
    congraturation for digging up an 1 year old thread! You are winner!
  • edited September 2010
    Eh, if the problem still exists, then why not? The way I see it, Telltale owes us a working game, so I think bumping a thread once a year isn't too much nagging...

See y'all next year, folks!
  • edited September 2011
    Well...

bump.
  • edited September 2011
    -_-
This discussion has been closed.