SBCG4AP: Jerky/Laggy Video

System Specs:

Windows XP SP3 with all current updates
AMD Sempron 2600+ (Socket 754)
1.5 gigs DDR RAM
Video Card: nVidia Geforce 7600gs (driver version - Forceware 93.71)
Sound card: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Just installed Homestar Ruiner on a fresh install of Windows XP Service Pack 3. The game runs fine, with no permanently missing eyes on any of the characters so far; though I noticed Homestar's eyes disappearing for a split second on the menu screen after clicking 'new'.

The game intro song starts, and immediately I notice a bit of distracting graphic lag, and some sound glitches. Quit the game and updated my DirectX with the new August 2008 redist. Loaded the game back up and it seems to have helped, I'm no longer experiencing any sound glitches. The video, though, still jerks, especially when changing scenes and going through doorways. I also notice that Strong Bad seems to walk faster when he's at the top or bottom of the stairs, but that could be part of the game.

The laggy graphics occur in all the resolutions I tried, even lower reses like 800x600 and 1024x768. Running in windowed mode minimizes the jerkiness a little, but it's still there. Changing to low quality doesn't fix it. I have a widescreen monitor so I'd like to use a full screen, widescreen setting of 1280x800 at least.

Disabling my anti virus didn't help, and I only run the Windows Firewall so there's nothing major running in the background.

Basically, I'm wondering if this lag is due to my hardware not being powerful enough to run the game, or if it's due to other factors. I never experienced this with either season of Sam and Max.

I'd prefer not to have to update my video card drivers, since these drivers (93.71) are most suited to this Geforce 7 series card. Though if you feel a driver update would solve the issue, I'll give it a try.

Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    When you say going through doorways, do you mean when you are loading a brand new scene, or just walking from one room to another within the house? And how consistent are we talking here, like every time you try to move or it only happens once every few seconds?

The short answer is that you have tried everything I would suggest short of updating the graphics drivers. The graphics engine has definitely updated since Sam & Max, so it is conceivable that it is making the difference in performance for you. If it isn't enough to really bother you (though I imagine it is), you can just play with it as is and not try the update. If you have access to the old driver's installer, you could always roll back if it doesn't work.
  • edited August 2008
    Walking from one room to another within the house mostly. The stutter also happens consistently at certain moments, like during the style song right before SB gives Strong Mad a high five.

What are the specific CPU/video card requirements of SBCG4AP? Do my specs meet those requirements?

I'll go ahead and update my nVidia drivers when I get a chance, and defrag my system while I'm at it. Thanks! :)
    edited August 2008
    Well there are two minor hitches that are quite common when running past the Luxo Lounger and then past the stairs going to the basement. I think it's just engine based and has nothing to do with your personal performance. Beyond that though, there shouldn't be too much in the way of hitching. Defragging could certainly help though.

As for the exact specifications, I'm not 100% sure to be honest. If you ran Season 2 without any trouble, then you should be fine.
  • edited August 2008
    Will wrote: »
    Well there are two minor hitches that are quite common when running past the Luxo Lounger and then past the stairs going to the basement. I think it's just engine based and has nothing to do with your personal performance. Beyond that though, there shouldn't be too much in the way of hitching. Defragging could certainly help though.

Ah, ok. The Luxo Lounger and the path to the basement are infact, the main areas I noticed the stutter. That, and the Strong Mad high five.

I tried pretty much 5 different versions of nVidia drivers, and the lag occured with all of 'em. If it's engine based, then I guess that means the bug's not on my end. Phew. :)

Thanks again.
    edited August 2008
    No worries. Always glad to help, or at least try to.
This discussion has been closed.