Woah. Just, just woah.

edited September 2008 in Sam & Max
Just found out Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People has a map, and before Sam and Max! They were, like, the inventors of maps in computer games. I think a map in Sam and Max has been the most requested feature on these boards, at least by me. Now that Telltale has added sufficient Map-o-tronic technologies to their engine can we expect an increase to the cartographic activities in Sam and Max? I'm sure I speak for all of us here when I say, I hope we do. I hope we do.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    Sam & Max don't need a map. Unless it's a full game with a ton of locations it's really pointless.
    It works perfectly for Strong Bad as a way of avoiding the sketchy geography of Free Country.
  • edited August 2008
    The map is called the DeSoto ;)
  • edited August 2008
    I think the point of the map in Strong Bad was the fact that the different areas never really had relative locations in the animations, so the map was used as a deus ex machina.
  • mremre
    edited August 2008
    True that.

Still, I agree with the map suggestion for S&M. When I played the games on my (really) old computer the load times for entering a new area were just maddening.
  • edited August 2008
    MaxFan wrote: »
    The map is called the DeSoto ;)

True, but that involves remembering where you parked the thing then wandering all the way back to it. With a map you can travel wherever you are, just open it up and jump onto the spot you want to go to.

The other problem with a map is what you show on it. The neighborhood? Then what about the
    White House. America? Then what about Jurgen's Palace. The World? The what about the time traveling. You'd need, like, a 3-D spacetime map. That'd be... weird, but cool. Definitely cool
  • edited August 2008
    A map? Satan I need this game.
  • edited August 2008
    I think the easiest and smoothest way to achieve "map" functionality in Sam & Max would be to have "let's head back to the car" be one of the dialog options any time you talk to Max (as long as the car is reachable).
  • edited August 2008
    Sounds good to me.
  • edited August 2008
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I think the easiest and smoothest way to achieve "map" functionality in Sam & Max would be to have "let's head back to the car" be one of the dialog options any time you talk to Max (as long as the car is reachable).

I agree fully.

Sam and Max don't need a map, the DeSoto serves that purpose for me just fine. But, I also wouldn't like wandering back to the car in a more expansive location. So, based on the one Sam and Max episode I've played (Ice Station Santa, because It's free I'm saving Season One for the Wii, and only after I've beaten S1, will I play the rest of S2. That, and I'm broke. Sorry, Telltale.) I think, "Let's head back to the car, Max." would be better than an SBCG4AP-style map. (I've beaten Homestar Ruiner 100%, so I know all about the map.)

But then again, I've only played Ice Station Santa.

You decide.

-iRock
  • edited August 2008
    Well yeah they don't NEED it. It just looks really really cool!
  • edited August 2008
    Next demand: Fast Travel.
  • edited August 2008
    Also some shootable enemies would be nice!
  • edited August 2008
    Moar Warp Drive!
  • edited August 2008
    Avel wrote: »

Do you mean like double clicking on an exit and then you jump to the next area? I always felt guilty using that, if you don't see the character travel it kind of ruins the immersion.
  • edited August 2008
    Immersion? You're playing a game about a man-sized dog and a child-sized rabbit who talk and shoot stuff. You don't need immersion.
  • jmmjmm
    edited August 2008
    LuigiHann wrote: »

There is on problem though, what to do when Max is not available.

A screen icon/inventory item shaped like a DeSoto or car keys solves the problem. Plus such icon/item can be disabled or hidden if the DeSoto option becomes unavailable for a reason (Making Sam make a remark or give an explanation should work too)
  • edited August 2008
    Avel wrote: »

No, first we need to put in Silt Striders, gondolas, Guild Guides, and Mark/Recall spells. THEN we can move on to Fast Travel.
  • edited August 2008
    Do you mean like double clicking on an exit and then you jump to the next area? I always felt guilty using that, if you don't see the character travel it kind of ruins the immersion.

Actually I refer to ctrl+shift+d...the rest your should know.
    No, first we need to put in Silt Striders, gondolas, Guild Guides, and Mark/Recall spells. THEN we can move on to Fast Travel.

I'll second gondolas.
  • edited August 2008
    I want a map in Sam & Max. It makes the game feel much vaster than it really is! C'mon Telltale, at least make it LOOK like the episodes are longer than they are. (Don't get me wrong, they're awesome and good length for the most part...)
  • edited August 2008
    Meh, as far as I can see the map is just a means to an end.
  • edited August 2008
    Maps are only needed in adventure games when there are several different locations to travel between, like in SnM:HtR, Indy 4 and, of course, the Monkey Islands (wouldn't be a pirate game without a map!). In smaller-scale adventure games like DoTT and Telltale's SnM-seasons a map would be completely redundant.
  • edited September 2008
    Bagge wrote: »
    In smaller-scale adventure games like DoTT and Telltale's SnM-seasons a map would be completely redundant.

Not to mention would cause the universe to collapse in on itself given the impossible geography of some of the locations given their respective exit/entrance doors. I mean, seriously, to this day, I can't figure out how in the world the Edison house/hotel could support such a complicated second floor given the layout, even when I factor in the the fish-eye lens perspective from the corner opposite the vending machine!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.