help! (saved games not saving?)

edited January 2011 in Game Support
i know this sounds dum but i saved and i dunno how to load my game...

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    Heh! You load a game from the same place you saved it! Click the "Load" button over on the far right side of the save/load screen.
  • edited August 2008
    but there is no load button! it tells me the game saved but there is no load button
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    Can you take a screenshot and post it? I don't think I've heard of that happening before.
  • edited August 2008
    alas, i can not. but i will describe exactly what happens. i started the game played for a half hour then had to get of dinner. after talkuing to homestar in the shower, i went to strong bads house and it siad the game was saved but to be safe, i saved the game on the menu, and then hit the quit menu. an hour later i went on and it said i had no save file...
  • edited August 2008
    Do you have the PC version?

If you have the PC version:

-Open the Main Menu
    -Go to the Save/Load page
    -Hit the Print Screen(prnt Scrn) button on your keyboard
    -Open up MS Paint or another image editing software
    -Paste and save
    -Upload the file to www.imageshack.us
    -Post the link here
  • edited August 2008
    it is the pc version but i cannot do that...
  • edited August 2008
    Why not?
  • edited August 2008
    because even if i showed you i had no save file you woudnlt be able to se what i did all i have on my save load screen is a blue down arrow!
  • edited August 2008
    If it helps, from what you described I believe that you autosaved the game and that there should be an arrow on the right side of the screen on the top slot.
  • edited August 2008
    We just can't help you if we have no idea what you're seeing. The description just can't do it for us.
  • edited August 2008
    Aye. Take a screenie, even if you think it won't help. You'd be surprised.
  • edited August 2008
    Hello. I'm having some problems saving in the aforementioned game with the jumbled acronym. Pressing the button to save in the Save/Load section in game tells me that the game was saved, but none of the corresponding boxes in the appropriate row fill up with the saved game info (which is what I'm guessing would happen if it worked). If I try to load a game, all I see is the save button for the first row.

Here's the appropriate specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
    Motherboard: MSI P6N SLI Platinum
    Fatherboard: None
    Sisterb- ah never mind...
    4 gigs of Ram
    Video Card: ATI Radeon X1600 pro (MSI Built)
    I'm running on a dual monitor config...

Things I've tried:

- Ran the game as administrator
    - Ran the game in Windows XP compatibility mode
    - Ran the game in Windows XP compatibility mode and as administrator

I've also noticed that no folders for saved game data were created in the \Users\username\AppData\ directory. Perhaps you have a different spot where you put it...

Thanks!
  • edited August 2008
    On XP, the Snappy pics and save game info is in My Documents\Telltale Games\SBCG4AP Episode 1 - Homestar Ruiner (or something similar)

Not sure if it's the same on Vista.

Save/Load stuff worked fine on XP, although I'm kinda disappointed there's only 4 slots and not the "extendable" screens as for Sam and Max (which I think allows you 6x4 = 24 saves)
  • SegSeg
    edited August 2008
    On Vista, the save location for both Snappy and save games are:

\Users\*username*\Documents\Telltale Games\Episode 1 - Homestar Ruiner\

However, we discovered that saves and preferences are not working as we intended on limited and guests accounts on Vista. Snappy images are saved at the above location as screen shots are handled differently. It's being worked on, but for the time being we're back to the game running only on administrator accounts on Vista.

Currently you can have different accounts have different save games/preferences, but sadly they both have to be administrator accounts. Once we get this fix in, standard and guest accounts will work the same way once the game is installed by an admin account.
  • edited August 2008
    Okay. So I have to be logged in as a administrator account, I can't just run the game as Administrator?

Thanks for the quick reply and for letting us know what's happening and that you're working on it.

- Thomas
  • SegSeg
    edited August 2008
    You will always need to be an Administrator to install the game. This will not change.

The 'bug' we're working on is being able to play the game for any type of an account, after an admin installs the game. Right now you need full admin privileges to play the game on Vista.
  • edited August 2008
    Remember, a picture is worth a thousand words....
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    Are you using Vista? If yes, are you running a limited user account or an administrator account? If you're running a limited user account, that's the problem. There's a bug that's preventing saves from saving. Switching to an administrator account will fix it.

If you're already using an administrator account, go to My Documents / Telltale Games / Episode 1 - Homestar Ruiner. Do you see any files that end in .save?
  • edited August 2008
    I'm having exactly the same problem. I'm running Vista, using an administrator account, but I'm still not able to save. When I click the Save button I get this:

strongbad.jpg?w=300&h=180

WHen I return to load a game the screen is still just like that, minus the Game Saved message. I've checked My Documents / Telltale Games / Episode 1 - Homestar Ruiner but there are no .sav files, just a prefs.prop file.

Having got a fair way into the game I'm a little annoyed at having to start all over again. Any clues why this is happenning?
  • SegSeg
    edited August 2008
    Alf Fly: Do you have UAC turned on?

If you can think of anything else that would be different as far as your Windows settings or any other security software, that would be helpful. If we could find a way to reproduce the problem, then we can find a solution.
  • edited August 2008
    Ah yes, turning off UAC did it. But since UAC is supposed to be there for to help protect my computer, it seems weird that I'd need to turn it off for such a simple thing as saving a computer game.

In happier news, SBCGFAP is so good that I find I don't mind having to replay it. Thanks for the advice!
  • SegSeg
    edited August 2008
    The problems we have with limited/guest accounts should also fix this error. Episode 2 and beyond will certainly have it, and I don't know our patch plans for Episode 1.

That said, UAC really doesn't 'protect' your computer. It notifies you of potential changes being made. Programs will always have the potential to do good or bad things. All UAC does is maybe tell you a problem is changing something. It does not protect your computer, just notifies you.

There are large bugs in the system where even if you give the OK to do an action, UAC will still block the operation and not notify you about it. Like what just happened here. This leaves the user with reduced productivity and a false sence of protection.
  • edited August 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    The problems we have with limited/guest accounts should also fix this error. Episode 2 and beyond will certainly have it, and I don't know our patch plans for Episode 1.

That said, UAC really doesn't 'protect' your computer. It notifies you of potential changes being made. Programs will always have the potential to do good or bad things. All UAC does is maybe tell you a problem is changing something. It does not protect your computer, just notifies you.

There are large bugs in the system where even if you give the OK to do an action, UAC will still block the operation and not notify you about it. Like what just happened here. This leaves the user with reduced productivity and a false sence of protection.

I take it you love Vista, Seg? :p
  • SegSeg
    edited August 2008
    I take it you love Vista, Seg? :p
    I don't want someone believing in a false sense of security.
  • edited November 2008
    I was able to fix this issue by setting the permissions on \Program Files\Telltale Games\Strong Bad to full control for my user (which is an administrator account.) Disabling UAC requires a restart and I was in the middle of the game. It would seem from this that an intermediary file is created in the Program Files directory before being moved to the User folder. I'm guessing since the next 2 episodes have been released already this won't be patched.
  • edited December 2008
    I'm having the exact same problem, and I tried to do the same thing you just mentioned. But inside the Strong Bad folder, I find the following:

a folder called "Episode 1 - Homestar Ruiner"
    a shortcut to Homestar Ruiner
    a shortcut that uninstalls Homestar Ruiner

How do I change the permissions for my account? Do I have to do it on the administrator account?
  • SegSeg
    edited December 2008
    Currently you still need to be a full administrator in order to run the game.
  • edited January 2011
    Ah, so no saving in any way from a limited account? I was hoping to find some way of doing that in XP.
This discussion has been closed.