Season 2 Episode 2 Install location

edited March 2014 in Game Support

I have purchased a season pass for season 2. When I installed ep1, I chose an installation directory. I did so because I want software to be installed in a location specified by me. Now when I download episode 2 from the ingame menu, it just installs itself to

'C:\Users#\Documents\telltale games\The Walking Dead Season Two\SyncFs\Data\WalkingDead202'

I mean, what the hell? Why? I can't download the episode from the web, no, I am forced to use automatic installation via the game itself. Which does this. Cluttering the c: drive relentlessly and unreasonably. I have purchased s2 directly from you because I liked s1, which I acquired on steam. I do however regret this decision more and more every time I open up the game and am faced with various disadvantages to having shopped directly with you.

For other people wondering how to work around this crackpot behaviour: Moving the files found in '\SyncFs\Data\WalkingDead202' to '\The Walking Dead Season Two\The Walking Dead Season Two\Pack' seems to hotfix the problem for the time being.

Comments

• edited March 2014

I got this for my wife.

I see that episode two was released, excellent. I can't get it to download from within the game and unlike EVERY OTHER TELLTALE GAME I can't download episode two manually.

I've gotten her almost every TellTale game out there, but if I can't download the game I paid for, preferably through a web browser and not a broken in-game update, I might just have to get her a different birthday present next time.

I, too, have a dedicated game folder. I don't want this crap cluttering up my system. I am not a computer noob that needs to be told where my files are and I don't appreciate not having the option.

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this. Unfortunately our newer games are designed to install the new content directly to the default file path making it more streamlined so that people that are not as computer savvy can still play the game without worrying about install file paths. The workaround that @Silunare has stated will fix the error you are experiencing, and I apologize for any difficulties this may cause you.

• edited March 2014

Well, I realize that ensuring stuff works is important, and things being less of a hassle to handle is always welcome.
    I do however fail to comprehend how the two are related - installing files to some random user-specific system directory and not having people worry about paths. Why give the option to change the default installation path at all? What this comes down to is basically this, considering computers are often used by multiple persons, like a family:

Chosen install location: ~1 GB

Personal folder of user 1: ~4 GB because he likes the game.

Personal folder of user 2: ~2 GB since he hasn't had time to play past episode 3.

Personal folder of user 3: ~4 GB, he's a fan as well.

Total size: ~11 GB

Which is about 120% of the games total size wasted just because of the forced installation directory, which is user-specific and thus doesn't necessarily allow for other users to access the episodes stored therein. Each and every one of them will have to download every single episode. (I verified this just now on Win 8.1. Other users don't see downloaded episodes if they reside in the default location. They are visible however if and only if the episode files have been moved.) This is strictly only an issue for people that are not "computer savvy", because everyone else in their right mind will be moving the files on such systems. I feel it is quite ironic that especially the people to whose advantage things were planned out to be are the ones that take the biggest hit in this.

Also, the process doesn't look all that streamlined to me: I have to open the game, click on episodes, click once to download it and click again to install the downloaded episode. It could just as well detect it's own directory, download an installer and on the 2nd click start a (uac protected?) fully automated installation.

I appreciate your taking the time to read this and hopefully consider my argument. I'm all for streamlining, but if this redundant scheme is here to stay, the only sensible thing to do is, indeed, steamlining.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this. Unfortunately our newer games are designed to install the new content directly to the defa

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

Unfortunately I do not believe there are any plans to change the installation process at this time. Thank you for your feedback though, I will make sure to pass it along to the team!

This discussion has been closed.